Resort to Cruise Transportation

s.ollie

Original Poster
Originally i booked a resort stay from 31st aug to sept 14 2013 through the DisneyInternational website, however after some really amazing Disney cruise trip reports i started looking into adding a cruise to our stay aswell. So tonight (at Midnight) I took the plunge and booked a 3 night bahama cruise on the Dream for sept 5 right in the middle of our stay, I've booked this directly through the Disney Cruise line website.

My question is will it still be possible to avail of resort to port transportation(and return) although the two reservations are not connected? We are staying in AoA

Also just to add Im crazy super excited for this, Castaway Cay is my vision of Eden :)

Disneyfalcon

Originally i booked a resort stay from 31st aug to sept 14 2013 through the DisneyInternational website, however after some really amazing Disney cruise trip reports i started looking into adding a cruise to our stay aswell. So tonight (at Midnight) I took the plunge and booked a 3 night bahama cruise on the Dream for sept 5 right in the middle of our stay, I've booked this directly through the Disney Cruise line website.

My question is will it still be possible to avail of resort to port transportation(and return) although the two reservations are not connected? We are staying in AoA

Also just to add Im crazy super excited for this, Castaway Cay is my vision of Eden :)

Yes it will! Just call Disney to add the transfers and then tell them where you're coming from and going to.
Castaway Cay = Eden. Good description. :)

LSU_Tigger

Just know that you will have to pay for this transfer. It is pricey compared to other transport services. Its not free like the Magical Express from the airport.

Phonedave

Just know that you will have to pay for this transfer. It is pricey compared to other transport services. Its not free like the Magical Express from the airport.

Depending on the number of people in your party, a private car or a rental may be cheaper (and get you to the port earlier, which on a 3 day cruise is - to me - especially important)

-dave

wiigirl

I didn't see it, so I do not know! :D

Dave is right, rental cars are sometimes cheaper.

We always price out every option....
75.gif

Phonedave

We do too. We usually rent a car, but the last couple of times, for various reasons, we've been on the transfers. I have to say, I did love the transfers. :)

I will say, the transfers are very easy. Everything is taken care of for you.

If it was just the price, I would even choose transfers even if they were a little more. However, the other thing about transfers are you are on their schedule. I want to be on my schedule and get to the port (and on board) early. Especally on a short cruise like a 3 day.

-dave

Disneyfalcon

I will say, the transfers are very easy. Everything is taken care of for you.

If it was just the price, I would even choose transfers even if they were a little more. However, the other thing about transfers are you are on their schedule. I want to be on my schedule and get to the port (and on board) early. Especally on a short cruise like a 3 day.

-dave

Agreed. I don't like the schedule from the resorts. The schedule from the airport, however, is great!

Viget

Agreed. I don't like the schedule from the resorts. The schedule from the airport, however, is great!

Just to be clear, because we're looking into this for our cruise in April... but one could always use DME from the resort to the aiport, THEN transfer to the DCL bus at the airport, right?

We want to take an early DME to the airport (like around 7 or 8am) and then try to get an early DCL bus to the port to be there when it opens. This is possible, right?

Disneyfalcon

Just to be clear, because we're looking into this for our cruise in April... but one could always use DME from the resort to the aiport, THEN transfer to the DCL bus at the airport, right?

We want to take an early DME to the airport (like around 7 or 8am) and then try to get an early DCL bus to the port to be there when it opens. This is possible, right?

One could. If you call Disney and ask them, they will often tell you know, you must have a flight. If you call Magical Express directly, they can set it up for you.

Phonedave

One could. If you call Disney and ask them, they will often tell you know, you must have a flight. If you call Magical Express directly, they can set it up for you.

You can always "make up" a flight. Find a flight that is leaving about 2 1/2 hours from the time you want to be at the airport, and then tell them that is your flight.

You can of course take the DME to the airport and then transfers from the airport to the ship, but it seems like a bit of a trip to me. Is this only to try and get an earlier transfer?

-dave

Disneyfalcon

You can always "make up" a flight. Find a flight that is leaving about 2 1/2 hours from the time you want to be at the airport, and then tell them that is your flight.

You can of course take the DME to the airport and then transfers from the airport to the ship, but it seems like a bit of a trip to me. Is this only to try and get an earlier transfer?

-dave

You can also do that. :)
It's the only way. The earliest they leave from the resorts is around 11:30. I've had a couple of people do it just to get on an earlier transfer.

LSU_Tigger

I must say that the Disney transfers from the resort to the terminal was nice and did it to surprise the kids. The kids thought we were going to the airport to go home, but cause mom and I(dad) are so cool;) we added a 4 day cruise at the end of a week long Disney world trip. They caught on as soon as they saw the bus that looked like a cruise ship and they were screaming with joy. This was the only reason for us getting the transfer.
The cons were that it was expensive and on their schedule just like Dave and Tammy said. With a short cruise I would get a different transfer like Dave had mentioned. Reason for me, after doing a short cruise like yours, is getting the most out of being on the ship by getting there early and missing all the DCL transfers trying to check-in.

After doing this once with DCL transfer, I will try my best to use a different transfer companey because of money and my schedule. This is my thoughts from my experience. Just saying and hope y'all enjoy!

Dave and Tammy great info like always!!!!

Phonedave

I must say that the Disney transfers from the resort to the terminal was nice and did it to surprise the kids. The kids thought we were going to the airport to go home, but cause mom and I(dad) are so cool;) we added a 4 day cruise at the end of a week long Disney world trip. They caught on as soon as they saw the bus that looked like a cruise ship and they were screaming with joy. This was the only reason for us getting the transfer.
The cons were that it was expensive and on their schedule just like Dave and Tammy said. With a short cruise I would get a different transfer like Dave had mentioned. Reason for me, after doing a short cruise like yours, is getting the most out of being on the ship by getting there early and missing all the DCL transfers trying to check-in.

After doing this once with DCL transfer, I will try my best to use a different transfer companey because of money and my schedule. This is my thoughts from my experience. Just saying and hope y'all enjoy!

Dave and Tammy great info like always!!!!

Sometimes they use the Cruise busses for regular DME. I would hate to be there when you are taking DME back to the airport and a Cruise bus shows up and your kids are all "Yaaaaayy another cruise!!!!" and you have to tell them no. :D

-dave

EOD K9

I'm in a similar pickle for my cruise. I am flying into MCO and DMEing it (first time for that) to my hotel. Next day is the cruise. What would you recommend? Additionally, how far is the ALAMO site from the terminal if I wanted to rent a car?

Disneyfalcon

Alamo isn't one of the rental companies I use frequently, but it shouldn't be far. None of the car rental places are very far.
A rental car is fastest, transfers are the most convenient.

ChuckElias

I think Alamo is one of the companies that you have to take a shuttle to get to the car pick-up/drop-off. I did it once, it was a 10 minute ride, I think. Not too bad. I usually just use Advantage or Budget, whichever is cheaper on priceline.com.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom