Resort Shuttles for Character Breakfast before park opens

snowpony

Original Poster
Hi all, I am hoping you can help me with an answer to my question. I’ve called WDW reservations (guest services & transportation) and can’t get a clear answer...it is frustrating. I was told the resorts usually start running shuttles 1 hour before opening time, but online I read there are special “Character Breakfast” shuttles that run 1/2 an hour before the first breakfast seating. They did not tell me this, but when I asked about it they confirmed it was true but couldn’t give me clear answers as to what to do, what time to wait, etc.

DBF and I are staying at POP Century and have one breakfast for AK Donald’s Safari Breakfast at 8:35 am, but AK doesn’t open until 9 am. Assuming the first breakfast seating is at 8 am, does that mean there will be a special shuttle at POP at 7:30 to go to AK ? On another day we have one for Chef Mickey’s at Contemporary for 8:20 am, but MK also doesn’t open until 9 am.

We could probably take the 8 am first shuttle but most likely we would be late...what happens if you are late for an ADR?

Any help on these early character breakfasts would be great- thanks!

This probably won't be of much help, but made ADRs for Chef Mickey's at 8:35 for my cousins last time we were there. They took the first MK bus at about 7:55 AM from Pop Century and made it just in time...:shrug:

I spoke with Disney about my upcoming ADR's (I have Chef Mickeys at a 7AM opening spot in August, staying at All Star Music), and inquired about the shuttles. I was informed that you should check in with concierge the moment you arrive, and they will help you book a spot on the shuttle for the character breakfasts. :)

Hi all, I am hoping you can help me with an answer to my question. I’ve called WDW reservations (guest services & transportation) and can’t get a clear answer...it is frustrating. I was told the resorts usually start running shuttles 1 hour before opening time, but online I read there are special “Character Breakfast” shuttles that run 1/2 an hour before the first breakfast seating. They did not tell me this, but when I asked about it they confirmed it was true but couldn’t give me clear answers as to what to do, what time to wait, etc.

DBF and I are staying at POP Century and have one breakfast for AK Donald’s Safari Breakfast at 8:35 am, but AK doesn’t open until 9 am. Assuming the first breakfast seating is at 8 am, does that mean there will be a special shuttle at POP at 7:30 to go to AK ? On another day we have one for Chef Mickey’s at Contemporary for 8:20 am, but MK also doesn’t open until 9 am.

We could probably take the 8 am first shuttle but most likely we would be late...what happens if you are late for an ADR?

Any help on these early character breakfasts would be great- thanks!

CleveRocks

Let me assure you, with 100% certainty, that buses start running at about 6:30 a.m. Yes, 6:30 a.m. Every day of the year. Regardless of park hours.

I've read this consistent response from actual Disney Transport drivers. AND I've seen it with my own eyes. Anyone who tells you they don't start running until 8 a.m. or whatever is just not armed with correct, up-to-date information.

CleveRocks

I spoke with Disney about my upcoming ADR's (I have Chef Mickeys at a 7AM opening spot in August, staying at All Star Music), and inquired about the shuttles. I was informed that you should check in with concierge the moment you arrive, and they will help you book a spot on the shuttle for the character breakfasts. :)
You were given incorrect information. There are no spots to be "booked." The buses run starting around 6:30 a.m. They'll run maybe every 30 minutes or so until about 1 hour before park opening ... at that time, they start running about every 15-20 minutes like usual.

Like I said, there's nothing to reserve for an early bus that goes to Magic Kingdom. Believe me, there is nothing a Lobby Concierge cast member can do to get you to Chef Mickey's on-time. WHY? Because those buses run very early 365 days a year. They don't work on a reservation system. They show up. Every morning. They show up beacuse lots of people have early ADRs at Chef Mickey's as well as at Crystal Palace (inside MK). You wait at the stop. You get on the bus. You ride. You can walk from Magic Kingdom across the street to Contemporary Resort, the location of Chef Mickey's.

Also, when you board the bus, you should casually mention to the driver that you have an early ADR at Chef Mickey's. The driver doesn't HAVE TO do this, but he/she is permitted to drop you off directly at Contemporary Resort on his/her way to MK on those early morning runs.

Disney's weakest link is that there is no place to call with questions. Or rather, there's no place to call where you can be assured to get an accurate answer.

When you call 407-W-DISNEY, you are NOT calling a question-and-answer line, you are calling a reservations number. The cast members at the call centers (there are several call centers ... the biggest is at WDW itself, but there are others that aren't even in Florida) are there to make resort reservations, make dining reservations, and sell tickets and other entertainment.

Those cast members are NOT trained in all aspects of WDW. They aren't trained in how the buses run. They aren't trained in restaurant menus and allergies. They aren't trained in specific resort policies except those related to making a reservation. And so on.

Unfortunately, those of us who've hung around this message board (and others) can go on and on about the laughably wrong information people have been told.

Overall, Disney doesn't cross-train its cast members. They are trained for a specific role, and beyond that they get little else. This is true all across WDW.

Just yesterday, for example, a relatively new Disney cast member responded to someone's transportation question. He did this as an individual on a message board, he did not do it as part of his job. Anyway, someone who will soon stay at Polynesian Resort asked if there was any andvantage to walking to the Transportation & Ticket Center and getting an Animal Kingdom bus there as opposed to going to the Poly bus stop and waiting for an AK bus there. This new CM, who identified himself as a monorail driver, responded that the question-asker was mistaken, that her question didn't make sense ... he said that none of the monorail resorts had bus service to or from any parks, and that she would have to go to the TTC to catch a bus to AK.

Well, of course, he was wrong, and several of us told him so. He got defensive and disagreed, and even tried to quote from a training pamphlet given to monorail CMs. Well, would you believe that the pamphlet was wrong???!!! The pamphlet, at least as he reported it, did seem to say that if you want to get from any of the monorail resorts to ANY park you'd need to take the monorail to the TTC and then take a bus, ferry or monorail to a park from there.

In this case, Disney's own training information was wrong!!!

So it makes sense to me that you'd stand a good chance of getting bad information over the phone from a reservations CM.

My strongest advice to you is DON'T ask about bus service from any CM at your resort. The VERY BEST people to ask about bus service are the only people who are trained in it, and that is the bus drivers themselves.

Seriously, while at WDW, the bus drivers are the people to ask about buses. Feel free to ask the driver of whatever bus you're on about how to get from Point A to Point B. Better yet, you can usually find drivers hanging out near each park's bus area as well as at the TTC; they all wear the same costume (uniform), so they're easy to spot. They'll be happy to answer any of your Disney Transport-related questions.

But before you go to WDW, you can ask your questions right here at WDWMagic ... there are many of us here who can help and who like to help!

erstwo

We've never had breakfast at AK, but we've had breakfast at 8:05 or 8:15 at the Crystal Palace at the Magic Kingdom 4 out of the last 5 trips. Each time staying at Pop or All Star Music.

We rode the bus every time and..... We've never been late to a single one! Hope that helps! :)

PS - We do usually ask at the front desk, but I think the above poster is correct, busses start running around 6:30 or 7. Have a great trip!!! :wave:

WDWmazprty

Let me assure you, with 100% certainty, that buses start running at about 6:30 a.m. Yes, 6:30 a.m. Every day of the year. Regardless of park hours.

I've read this consistent response from actual Disney Transport drivers. AND I've seen it with my own eyes. Anyone who tells you they don't start running until 8 a.m. or whatever is just not armed with correct, up-to-date information.

We've never had breakfast at AK, but we've had breakfast at 8:05 or 8:15 at the Crystal Palace at the Magic Kingdom 4 out of the last 5 trips. Each time staying at Pop or All Star Music.

We rode the bus every time and..... We've never been late to a single one! Hope that helps! :)

PS - We do usually ask at the front desk, but I think the above poster is correct, busses start running around 6:30 or 7. Have a great trip!!! :wave:

Agreed! We stayed at Pop as well last year, and had a breakfast ressie at Crystal Palace at 8:15. We just went to the bus stop at around 7:30 or so and made it fine. The buses do start running around 6:30 or 7. I wouldnt worry, just be at the stop about a half hour to 45 min before your actually ressie time and you should be fine. Of course, getting there as early as possible cant hurt anything either. :wave:

cslafferty

I'm staying at Pop in Aug and have a 7:15 ressie at Chef Mickey's. I had started a thread last week for the very same reason, and my responses were about the same - there seems to be a bus that starts at 6:30 to take people to their early morning ressies and tours. The CM at the front desk of your hotel should be able to tell you what time the bus usually arrives at that hotel.

Thanks for the information. I'm sure the misinformation about checking in was made to make you feel special and important.. just like everyone else there.. :ROFLOL:

Originally Posted by CleveRocks

snowpony

Original Poster
Thank you all for the information as well! I originally reserved later breakfast times thinking we may not arrive in time. It's such a shame that Disney is inconsistent in their training and provide wrong information.

Even my 2008 Birnbaum WDW guide was wrong...it mentioned having to possibly take a cab to early morning breakfasts!

Thank goodness for sites like this where the people here have more experience and knowledge than some of the CMs. :sohappy:

Korfar

We discovered that last year as well. And in fact there were only a few of us on the bus that early so the bus driver asked where we were headed. At that time it was the Poly for Ohana breakfast. He dropped us off at Poly instead of making us get on the monorail. I am sure if anyone going there asked they will probably do the same since it is on thier way out of the MK area anyway.

EvilQueen-T

about how early does everyone try to get to the park/leave the resort to check in when they have early (pre-park opening) adrs? we have crystal palace adrs at 815am and are staying at pofq. there isn't much i haven't done at wdw but we either don't do breakfast at all or we eat at the resort. basically i'm trying to get an idea of how early to leave the resort.

erstwo

about how early does everyone try to get to the park/leave the resort to check in when they have early (pre-park opening) adrs? we have crystal palace adrs at 815am and are staying at pofq. there isn't much i haven't done at wdw but we either don't do breakfast at all or we eat at the resort. basically i'm trying to get an idea of how early to leave the resort.

I would be AT the bus stop at POFQ no later than 7:30. 45 minutes is minimum to get on the bus, ride to MK, get off the bus, walk to the entrance and then walk to CP (with a couple of pics in front of the castle on the way!)

For my family, we will be at the bus stop between 7:00 and 7:15. That extra 15 minutes gives you a few extra moments to "soak in" Main Street in its' pre-park opening state - love it!

CleveRocks

I'm staying at Pop in Aug and have a 7:15 ressie at Chef Mickey's. I had started a thread last week for the very same reason, and my responses were about the same - there seems to be a bus that starts at 6:30 to take people to their early morning ressies and tours. The CM at the front desk of your hotel should be able to tell you what time the bus usually arrives at that hotel.
I can't stress this enough ... avoid the urge to ask your resort front desk staff about anything that doesn't directly involve their role at the front desk. They simply are not armed with the proper information. Oh, you may get lucky with one or two who truly know it all, but the unfortunate truth is that many of them THINK they knwo the right answer but don't, but that doesn't stop them from spreading around inadvertantly false information, anyway.

Seriously, if you're actually at WDW and you want Disney Transport (bus) information, ask a Disney Transport driver. Any driver will do.

I'm not saying that the Disney Transport drivers are the hidden geniuses of WDW ... but they are trained in driving the buses and how the entire bus system operates, and that's why you want to ask them THOSE questions. But don't DON'T DON'T ask a bus driver questions about hotels or theme parks ... you'll get the same random bad information you'd get elsewhere.

I'm not trying to insult Disney cast members. But since they're not cross-trained, they don't know everything about the whole wide Disney World. To look at it another way, let's say you worked at a large department store such as Macy's. If you work for a year in the men's furnishings department, you won't be able to correctly answer a question about china patterns off of a bridal registry and whether or not that purchase can be shipped rather than picked up. Know what I mean? :wave:

I can't stress this enough ... avoid the urge to ask your resort front desk staff about anything that doesn't directly involve their role at the front desk. They simply are not armed with the proper information. Oh, you may get lucky with one or two who truly know it all, but the unfortunate truth is that many of them THINK they knwo the right answer but don't, but that doesn't stop them from spreading around inadvertantly false information, anyway.

Seriously, if you're actually at WDW and you want Disney Transport (bus) information, ask a Disney Transport driver. Any driver will do.

I'm not saying that the Disney Transport drivers are the hidden geniuses of WDW ... but they are trained in driving the buses and how the entire bus system operates, and that's why you want to ask them THOSE questions. But don't DON'T DON'T ask a bus driver questions about hotels or theme parks ... you'll get the same random bad information you'd get elsewhere.

I'm not trying to insult Disney cast members. But since they're not cross-trained, they don't know everything about the whole wide Disney World. To look at it another way, let's say you worked at a large department store such as Macy's. If you work for a year in the men's furnishings department, you won't be able to correctly answer a question about china patterns off of a bridal registry and whether or not that purchase can be shipped rather than picked up. Know what I mean? :wave:

I can get ya! But shouldn't the concierge know the answers as well!?! Isn't that not part of their job to help the guest, and answer questions about a wide range of stuff throughout WDW!:wave:

Caretames1

THANK-YOU! I have been wondering how I was gonna get to Chef Mickeys on time. We are going to be at POR.I have 7:30 am ressies. So if I get on the bus at 6:30, I should be good.:sohappy:

Carey

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom