Resort Parking Charges

flynnibus

Premium Member
Comcast is looking for people... chef Mickey sounds like a perfect fit to get Comcast back on top.... of the list of most hated companies.

TraderSam

Sure, I can do that

And now you think of all the different forms of price increases that have more than offset those costs over those 47 years

The point was that the cost increases directly attributable to parking could be their excuse to introduce parking fees.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You missed my point I retired doing research which is based on reproducible data, therefore I tend to not believe what someone has posted on the web and repeated by many without any substantiating data or facts. therefore my grain of salt statement. As a vietnam vet you are welcome
Disney has entire teams that do this work, including a handful of Ph.Ds. They can cut the data every single day you can imagine. Income, zip code, family size, frequency of visit, length of stay, age of children, method of travel, etc. They know which groups are worth the most and then they pull whatever levers they can to maximize those types of guests.

Another example is multi-generational travel. Take a look at the marketing campaigns over the last five years and you'll see a lot more ads that include grandparents on trips along with mom, dad, and kiddos than you used to.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Yeah......No......Consider that most people in driving distance have an AP. Let's assume a Silver. That's $2400 right there for a family of 4. Regular trips, regular $ spent in the parks, at resorts, at restaurants, merchandise etc......I get your mindset...but....yeah....No.
It's not a mindset, it's actual data. Holy hell.

John park hopper

From the expense side of things, the resort operating for 47 years and never charging for parking is pretty amazing. Think of all of the different forms of inflation that the resort has experienced in its operating costs over that time period: salary inflation, cost of benefits (some required, some not), electricity and infrastructure (paving and upkeep). It might be a cash grab from the standpoint that they never charged it before, but Shades has been charging for years and charges more than $13 per day for its parking. In a world where quarterly returns drive most large companies, I'm not surprised that they're doing what they can to cover cost increases - especially charging the folks who they might consider cost drivers.

Shades of green charges $7 to park not $13

Parrain

Well this outsider says your insiders are wrong, and if that was Disney's plan, they're morons.

I live 10 hours away. Driving cost me about 300 bucks, round trip. Flights for my family would have cost 1000 dollars, minimum. So, a 13 dollar a night fee (Amounting to 78 dollars) will make me decide that paying 700 dollars more to fly will be a better decision, so Disney has helped me decide that it makes more sense to pay 700 dollars more to fly than it does to pay 78 dollars for the week, then I will be less likely to leave property, so they made me spend 700 dollars extra to fly, and now I can't afford to leave the resort??? Really???

Did you ever look at the Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Ohio, Texas, Pennsylvania, New York, etc license plates??? Did you ever think why those folks drove instead of flew? Has nothing to do with parking fees or leaving property. It has to do with flying being expensive, and driving is 1/4 the price of flying (family size dependent, of course), so the whole idea that someone will decide to fly instead of drive over 100 buck parking charge is insane. There's not a parent alive who would rather drive 12 hours yelling at the kids for fighting, having the 4 year old spill a soft drink on the new back seat, the smell of the teenager taking off their shoes, bathroom stops every 30 minutes, siblings fighting over the one working IPad charger, and a steady diet of quarter pounders and Cracker Barrel, rather than fly for an hour and a half. Either you're wrong, or Disney's execs are so out of touch that they should be able to sleep on Mars tonight.

We are annual pass holders and DVC members. We go on DVC points once or twice a year, and pay out-of-pocket once or twice more a year. We live in Louisiana and drive. We always compare the savings then consider the benefits of an off-property condo versus the benefits of Disney transportation when deciding off-property or on-property. That comparison has become kind of a joke. We have come to the realization that we prefer to drive to most parks while on a Disney vacation anyway; in the last few years, it generally has taken more than an hour to get to Animal Kingdom, Disney Springs or a waterpark on a Disney bus (unless we are staying at AKL, then it just takes longer to get most other places).

I agree that the parking fees are a cash grab, and as I see it, it was ill-conceived. I believe that it was probably passed on the notion that it would generate revenue without additional investment, and the belief that it will make folks want to leave their cars home, confining them and their money to Disney property. But that is so short-sighted and incorrect; If anything, the parking fee makes me and others who choose to drive for economic reasons to consider staying off property, not leaving my car home. Now, I can drive and save on flight tickets and stay off property and save on Disney parking fees. That $78 (or more depending upon resort level) parking fee would easily provide a meal for a family of four. And, if I am off property, you better believe that a lot of my Disney-trip money will be spent elsewhere. It is inevitable. Also, I have stayed off property for conventions and such, and visited Disney as well as off property restaurants, Universal and the Outlet Malls. I have discovered that Orlando area condos are very competitive. I can spend moderate money and stay at a 2 or 3 bedroom condo that easily compares with the nicest DVC resorts. Ever stay at a Hilton Grand Vacation Club resort? Or a Marriott Condo? They are BEAUTIFUL! Plush resorts with washers, dryers and full kitchens, gorgeous pools and spas, all within 10-15 minutes drive to WDW... very Dumb move by Disney.

Valorie McCray

This is an absolute cash grab. I just left WDW yesterday after 6 days. My car sat idle for 6 solid days, and there were ample spaces, so it was not in any way a space issue. While 78 dollars pales in comparison to the other money the trip cost (And I received solid value for every single dollar spent), all except for that last 78 dollars. It's ridiculous and an absolute cash grab, and don't tell me "other resorts offsite do it." Big deal. There is no reason to charge to park in a parking lot that is not nearly filled. Had a blast on my trip, but I felt totally hoodwinked being required to pay 13 dollars a night for use of a 6 ft by 10 foot space in a place where there is ample parking and the property is completely owned by the resort.

I'll pay 50 bucks for QS burgers and fries, I'll pay 200 bucks to eat at Ohana. I get value and a one of a kind experience for this, but this parking fee is absurd and an overt cash grab.

Agree with you this is an absolute cash grab. They are getting where you can't afford to go.

Joebradley62

This is an absolute cash grab. I just left WDW yesterday after 6 days. My car sat idle for 6 solid days, and there were ample spaces, so it was not in any way a space issue. While 78 dollars pales in comparison to the other money the trip cost (And I received solid value for every single dollar spent), all except for that last 78 dollars. It's ridiculous and an absolute cash grab, and don't tell me "other resorts offsite do it." Big deal. There is no reason to charge to park in a parking lot that is not nearly filled. Had a blast on my trip, but I felt totally hoodwinked being required to pay 13 dollars a night for use of a 6 ft by 10 foot space in a place where there is ample parking and the property is completely owned by the resort.

I'll pay 50 bucks for QS burgers and fries, I'll pay 200 bucks to eat at Ohana. I get value and a one of a kind experience for this, but this parking fee is absurd and an overt cash grab.

Well sure. They are a business. People who have never been but have been to other resorts are already used to paying it elsewhere. Many of us who have been coming for years will of course be upset about it. As a DVC member I dont pay, ... yet.

Joebradley62

Of course the same could be said for the ever increasing ticket prices, 3 dollar bottles of water, 10 dollar hot dogs, 12 dollar Turkey legs. The name of the game is stockholder value, which is driven by quarterly earnings. There is no shortage of guests and this won't stop most visitors.

D M C

With all due respect, DME is a service. People need transportation from the airport to resorts. The cost of DME is rolled into resort nightly costs. Disney provides transportation to the resort. That is a service. Customer has need, business meets need; therefore, service provided. Just because cash is not directly exchanged does not make DME not a service. If it's not a service, and I want a ride to a Disney resort, even if I don't have a reservation or paid vacation, will Disney still let me ride to a resort for free? Nope. It's a service. A reservation number approves payment, rides is the service.
Ok you have a charge for DME already rolled into the nightly resort reservation fee. You would be charged for service you don't need when driving a vehicle to the resort. You would then be charged for a parking spot for the vehicle. This would be an unfair charge to park when you have already been charged a DME fee that is not used. The decision makers at Disney are only seeing the $$$$ and not the whole picture in the years ahead. How much further can they go with all the added charges before it is too late. I see people post that people are still coming and paying. Sure for now, but there will be a breaking point when it will be too unaffordable for the average family.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It is a cash grab no matter how many times you say it isn't. But, listen if you can be that easily talked into something, I have a piece of ocean front property in Arizona that I will part with at a very good price.
And repeating over and over that it isn't a cash grab doesn't make it any less of a cash grab.
There is a difference (IMO) of generating additional revenue streams vs. cash grab. If the revenue is applied to a project then I do not see it as a cash grab. On our last few trips I have noticed a lot of work being done in parking lots. B.C/Y.C, Boardwalk, and I believe I saw a video online with lots of work being done at one the value resorts (I believe they had a majority of the lot closed for work). Seems like much more work than I have ever noticed on past trips. If the money from parking fees is actually being used for such projects (And there also parking lots and roads at the resorts for CM use only that need to be kept up) then I do not see it as a cash grab. I will gladly admit that this is simply speculation on my part based off what I have witnessed and I could be wrong.

And FWIW, we have DVC and pay annual dues that are for maintenance of the entire resort which include (and cost) much more than the parking fees. I could easily complain that Disney makes enough money to not have to charge me these things.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I see people post that people are still coming and paying. Sure for now, but there will be a breaking point when it will be too unaffordable for the average family.
People have been saying this for well over a decade. Some people have shortened their trips or do not go as often, or some people stopped visiting at all. But it seems just as many new guests have started visiting, or people extending their trips or visiting more frequently and DVC is booming. Has Disney shifted their focus to a new demographic? Yes. But they still have just as many people in other demographics visiting.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
So what your saying is that its offensive to the paying guests when I reaort hop to try out the different resort bathrooms and water fountains?
People like you are the reason Disney started using the lesser ply toilet paper! All the additional bowel movements caused a strain (pun intended) on the restroom budget. Reported!!!! /sarc :cool:;)

Damon7777

On our last few trips I have noticed a lot of work being done in parking lots.

Your rationale offends thinkers.

I repair and maintain my rental units too. I do a lot of work. But I would not have the audacity to expect my renter to pay some nominal added charge each month just because I fixed sprinkler heads in the yard.

Now if I redesigned my rental house with Pebble Tec pool and changed out countertops to quartz or added value, recognizable value, then I would start looking at getting more money.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Now if I redesigned my rental house with Pebble Tec pool and changed out countertops to quartz or added value, recognizable value, then I would start looking at getting more money.
Is that not the same as Disney upgrading resort rooms to have flat screen tv, plank flooring, bathrooms mirrors with built in projection screens, etc.
Your rationale offends thinkers.
Care to explain why you feel that way, aside from talking about your personal endeavors with rental units? You left out the part where I said it seems they re doing more work than I have noticed on trips in the past. Sure, parking lots need maintenance regardless, but how do you know they are not doing more than basic maintenance such as utilizing some new form of engineering that will prevent issues that the average guest does not think of? Again, I have no idea whether or not they are, but neither does anybody else here (for the most part).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom