Resort Parking Charges

flynnibus

Premium Member
.. gross margin. Im not making up terms. Its only the metric most management is driven by... because its the number most reflective of yhe things they control. Taxes, long term debt, depreciation, and sg&a (elements that go into net verse gross) are not things operational management are responsible for. And ive said margin all along... not profit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chef Mickey

gross margin. Im not making up terms. Its only the metric most management is driven by... because its the number most reflective of yhe things they control. Taxes, long term debt, depreciation, and sg&a (elements that go into net verse gross) are not things operational management are responsible for. And ive said margin all along... not profit.
Cool. To be completely honest, I’m not reading your responses that closely because I know you’re just arguing and you’re mad. Management is driven by revenue and EPS typically because the street is a bottom line group and management want the shares to go higher. Gross margins are just color in the painting. All revenue is taxed, so a nominal fee won’t increase top line much or be an EPS mover.

I’m just pointing out these fees don’t undo the greatness of Disney. If you think they have, I’d encourage you to relax and go back without thinking about money.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
.. gross margin. Im not making up terms. Its only the metric most management is driven by...

No. It's not. It's increased sales and managing costs. If I sold widgets - and in year 1 I had a 10% profitability margin on said widgets. I wouldn't necessarily be happy if gross sales increased by 5% in year two, but my profit margin declined by 5%. Sure I can expect higher operational costs relative to the increased output of goods sold. But that's what management's job is - To increase gross sales and keep operational costs in check.

Chef Mickey

No. It's not. It's increased sales and managing costs. If I sold widgets - and in year 1 I had a 10% profitability margin on said widgets. I wouldn't necessarily be happy if gross sales increased by 5% in year two, but my profit margin declined by 5%. Sure I can expect higher operational costs relative to the increased output of goods sold. But that's what management's job is - To increase gross sales and keep operational costs in check.
Exactly. I tried with this guy, but he’s mad.

To add...managers don’t care about gross margin nearly as much as top and bottom lines, period. GM is just a small part of that. I have over a decade experience in Fortune 10 companies and know the culture well. When earnings come through on the tape, the headlines are sales and profits...

UncleMike101

See what kind of nonsense people spew when some wrong information is on a forum? It’s wrong to say American companies don’t pay taxes, lol.

Disney pays billions in taxes.

Only a few companies like GE have complex businesses and accounting to pay effectively 0 tax, but still not every quarter. Before corporate tax was lowered to 21%, Disney paid around 33%..among the highest in the Dow.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...y-a-windfall-under-trumps-tax-plan-2017-09-29

You’re just saying they increase prices to offset them, but most still pay tax.
It makes no difference how many dollars Disney, or any other company, shows as paid to the Government.
They garner the income to pay those taxes from the monies paid by their customers.
And whenever they face an incease in their tax burden they increase prices to those customers to make the tax payments.
How do you think they get the money?
Crap it?

Last edited:

thomas998

This is an absolute cash grab. I just left WDW yesterday after 6 days. My car sat idle for 6 solid days, and there were ample spaces, so it was not in any way a space issue. While 78 dollars pales in comparison to the other money the trip cost (And I received solid value for every single dollar spent), all except for that last 78 dollars. It's ridiculous and an absolute cash grab, and don't tell me "other resorts offsite do it." Big deal. There is no reason to charge to park in a parking lot that is not nearly filled. Had a blast on my trip, but I felt totally hoodwinked being required to pay 13 dollars a night for use of a 6 ft by 10 foot space in a place where there is ample parking and the property is completely owned by the resort.

I'll pay 50 bucks for QS burgers and fries, I'll pay 200 bucks to eat at Ohana. I get value and a one of a kind experience for this, but this parking fee is absurd and an overt cash grab.
The best option is to stay somewhere offsite that doesn't charge a parking fee. That is what we do. Have started doing the same thing when we do DL as well because I refuse to be screwed for parking charges.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No. It's not. It's increased sales and managing costs.

Uhhh where do you think controlling costs verse revenues shows up? Margin

And how does the manager who has a fixed amount of rooms with historically near full utilization, and prices set by someone else 'increase sales' for his rooms? This isnt selling widgets... you cant goal people on increasing a number that is capped and they have limited control of.

Hotel management is about efficency... aka margin!! These managers dont control their pricing... so they cant increase room revenue. They can only hurt sales with failures, drive retail, and manage costs. You goal people to drive and maintain margins... you cant set coat goals because they dont flex with actual activity and revenue... while margin does.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Exactly. I tried with this guy, but he’s mad.

To add...managers don’t care about gross margin nearly as much as top and bottom lines, period. GM is just a small part of that. I have over a decade experience in Fortune 10 companies and know the culture well. When earnings come through on the tape, the headlines are sales and profits...

You really should go back and at least read other people's work and pay attention to why margins are used when comparing a particular company to the industry averages when discussing their business model and execution.

Profits ironically is the number given the most grace period for since it can be crushed during ramp ups or from growth spending. But margins are the number that will be more consistent and a view into the core sales and product models.

Chef Mickey

You really should go back and at least read other people's work and pay attention to why margins are used when comparing a particular company to the industry averages when discussing their business model and execution.

Profits ironically is the number given the most grace period for since it can be crushed during ramp ups or from growth spending. But margins are the number that will be more consistent and a view into the core sales and product models.

I never said margins can’t and aren’t used to compare industry. You’re saying that. I said managers don’t think GM is the most important metric. They are worried about sales and NET profit, period. GM is part of that, but they will die to hit top and bottom lines with GM being damned if they need sales. Come work at a real company that answers to the street and you’ll see. I’m talking high level managers, not freaking hotel managers.

mitros

This is an absolute cash grab. I just left WDW yesterday after 6 days. My car sat idle for 6 solid days, and there were ample spaces, so it was not in any way a space issue. While 78 dollars pales in comparison to the other money the trip cost (And I received solid value for every single dollar spent), all except for that last 78 dollars. It's ridiculous and an absolute cash grab, and don't tell me "other resorts offsite do it." Big deal. There is no reason to charge to park in a parking lot that is not nearly filled. Had a blast on my trip, but I felt totally hoodwinked being required to pay 13 dollars a night for use of a 6 ft by 10 foot space in a place where there is ample parking and the property is completely owned by the resort.

I'll pay 50 bucks for QS burgers and fries, I'll pay 200 bucks to eat at Ohana. I get value and a one of a kind experience for this, but this parking fee is absurd and an overt cash grab.
Yea, looks like Iger wants more, more, MORE!!

ed fisher

This is factually incorrect. 100% wrong. Disney doesn't care about your $78, their goal was to get you to leave the car at home. Their goal is not "cash grab via small parking fee," their goal is "much larger cash grab from a captive guest who doesn't have a car in the first place so they spend more on merchandise, food, beverage, and recreation."

It doesn't have to be one or the other. This is not a zero sum question.

tagguy

This is factually incorrect. 100% wrong. Disney doesn't care about your $78, their goal was to get you to leave the car at home. Their goal is not "cash grab via small parking fee," their goal is "much larger cash grab from a captive guest who doesn't have a car in the first place so they spend more on merchandise, food, beverage, and recreation."
We're not going to WDW this year, after 5 consecutive years there with our extended family. Why(?), because of the parking fee for 4 cars that will just sit. It is a cash grab. Believe me, it's not the money, it's the principle! We'll do something else this year.

Touchdown

I wish they would start offering reliable bus service to the water parks, the transfer and long time between buses makes me rent when I’m going to the water parks. I also get a car those trips as “hurricane insurance” so that I have a way to get out of Dodge if a hurricane targets Orlando in the middle of my trip. However, if I could rely on free Disney transport to get me to the water parks I wouldn’t get a car. I’m also not paying for a Minnie van or a taxi because if I’m paying any cash, I would rather just get a car for the hurricane escape part.

D M C

I live in central Alabama. We primarily drive down to WDW due to airfare cost. If we can find a cheap flight, we'll definitely take it since it is a short flight. But, the majority of the time we save substantially by just driving on down. We'll go offsite to dine at a couple of our favorite places that we don't have locally. And, we'll make our pilgrimage to The Character Warehouse. However, we spend probably 90% of our time within the WDW bubble. Our car sits there at the resort for the most part.

Paying for resort parking is ridiculous. If I save money by driving versus flying, I have more money to spend on Disney souvenirs, Disney dining, etc. Don't penalize me with additional fees just because I chose to bring my car.
I am glad to see that other people drive their own vehicles and don't appreciate paying for parking. I usually pay for dining plan and buy quite a few things in the stores. Ok, in order to justify my disgust for the parking fee I am solving the problem. I have a list of things to buy for Food while there and in the parks. A trip to Wal-Mart will save $$$$, no dining reservations and no shopping this trip. In the long run they will be losing my $$$$ because of the parking fee. Just my way to fix this, might not work for others but makes me feel better when I get hit with the parking fee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom