Resort Only - where would you stay and why?

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hi All!

DH and I are going in the spring - feb or march - and we are going to the Resort Only! :) We are doing this on purpose. We felt like we missed so much of all the resorts have to offer so we want to stay only at a resort! And he told me one night wasn't enough - so we are doing 3 days and 2 nights! :) WOO HOO

Where would you stay and why?

Some particulars - we will have a car, it will be just the two of us, the idea is to rest and relax and enjoy what the resort has to order and do none park stuff that we miss each trip. The idea is to go in March ish - depending mostly on if a discount is offered. We are also planning on going to Disneyland in the fall if all things come together as planned so we will get some park time in the fall in CA.

Thank you!

disneygirl76

Original Poster
OMG.:eek: Disneygirl are you mad? That's like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel tower,or Niagara and missing out on the falls.Even when we went to Vegas we had to take in the Grand canyon as we were so close and would maybe never get another chance.Anyway it proves Iam not the only one whose mad here.I voted for WL because Iam hoping to stay there in our next visit. But even if I was staying 3 days & 2 nights.Nothing on earth could stop me visiting MK at least one night.To me the resort is a stopping off point on your way to visit the most magical place on earth.I rest my case.;)

Maybe your madness is rubbing off on me! :) I know we will back to the parks and I really actually got my fill. I also want to wait until all the new FL stuff is done before we go back. So....when else would I ever pay the money to stay at a theme park view? I mean, if I was going into the parks, I would never be there to take advantage of it. But this trip, if no parks, we could actually appreciate and enjoy it! :)

Upvote 0

GoochDSA

Any reason why you are excluding AKL from your list of options? For a resort only I would pick AKL-CL. There is a lot to do at the resort as well as many ways to relax. Also, it is Disney but not so much in your face the way the other resorts are (this way you aren't overrun with temptation). With the bit of cash you'll save over the other resorts, treat yourselves to the Wanyama Safari for dinner one night (may be the best overall experience at WDW, IMO).

Upvote 0

plaz10

Well...I'd pick Boardwalk because of all there is to see and do around there - restaurants, night clubs, entertainment, etc...

but I don't think I could stand being that close to EPCOT and not go in and ride Spaceship Earth.

Upvote 0

luv

From the list, i pick WL. You have the WL stuff to do and are a shortish walk away from Fort Wilderness, where there is a ton of other stuff to do! Visit or ride the horses, see the Hoop Dee Doo, ride around on a golf cart, go to the campfire...and if you're going at Christmastime, you must tour the campsites. :)

Also, you can boat over to the MK or Contemporary...I think the boat still stops at CR, but I'd have to check...for monorail access. You could parasail at CR.

Ooh, and water stuff! Rent a pontoon boat or those water mice thingies.

That's my vote. FWIW.

I do agree with the Mad Hatter, though. It is a lot like going to Niagara and skipping the falls. You are paying a lot of extra dough to stay near a tourist attraction you aren't actually visiting. But it is your life, your vacation time and your money! I hope you have the best possible time!

Upvote 0

disneypearl

I would go with Beach Club. I love the look of this resort and it has so much to it. Stormalong Bay is pretty much a waterpark and is unlike any other pool they have on property. It has two of my favorite places to eat,Cape May and Beaches & Cream, right there for you. Cresent lake is especially pretty and at night you have the lights of Boardwalk to enjoy. You can take one of the Friendship boats for a nice ride to other resorts or just for a relaxing tour. Beach Club would be an easy choice for me but every resort has something special. Another idea you do not have listed is Animal Kindgom Lodge. A savanna view would be peaceful and relaxing. I think it might be be very hard to not go to a park once you are there. Staying at your resort will be nice though, and you will have time to get to know and appreciate all that the one you end up choosing has to offer.

Upvote 0

acrab3t

Ooo! Romance! I love this idea. I would choose Poly just because it looks so romantic. I have never stayed but have been to the lobby and eaten in Ohana. The fact that you can see the fireworks from MK and the Electric Water Pageant from the beach sounds lovely! I am staying at BC for our next trip because I want to walk to EPCOT. For our following trip I want Poly. Since you are not planning on going to a park it doesn't matter how close you are to any of them. Now I am thinking you should stay at AKL! The place is amazing and Jikos is my favorite Disney restaurant! There is so much going on in the evening you would have so much to do! I stayed there last year and wished we had an extra day just to hang out at the lodge. Now I am probably making this choice harder for you.;) Wherever you choose I know you will enjoy it!

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
It looks like Boardwalk won! Followed by WL (surprised on this one) and then GF.

So now between Boardwalk and GF. I know there is more "to do" on the Boardwalk but we will have a car. And Disney buses. Does that make a difference? And an odd question here - it seems like the Poly is just looking a little old. We would like to stay there and I would rather stay at the Boardwalk for a week or more rather then the Poly. So I was thinking I could kill two birds here - 1) MK view at Poly and 2) checking the Poly off the list.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

It looks like it is between Boardwalk and Grand Floridian - which happens to be where are heads are. I had a thought though...we are never in a room long enough to really enjoy it. So we would never pay for a Theme Park View. We are thinking of GF with a theme park view. Maybe Poly with a theme park view. But we are such GF people so we are torn between trying something new or staying where we love.
I'm a big fan of staying at 'new' resorts. Since you've already stayed at GF (multiple times), WL, YC, and POR, I suggest giving something else a try. I'm a huge fan of BWI but if you had time to visit the Boardwalk when you stayed at YC, it might not be appreciably different. Have you considered AKL? This way, you are a bit removed from the theme parks so these don't tempt you as much.

Conversely, is there a resort that's you've stayed at but felt you didn't get as much out if it as you would have liked?

Since you plan to skip the theme parks and will have a car, perhaps this is a great opportunity to visit all the resorts.

Upvote 0

John

My vote goes to BW, you really should try something new. Boardwalk has access to so many things. A stroll around the loop can also be very romantic. The rooms are incredible as is the atmosphere. Night time at BW is one of WDW's best kept secrets.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

I am going to add another thought to your list, what about a cabin at Fort Wilderness? You would have lots of room with just the two of you, your own deck, driveway, grill, and lots of fun and outdoorsy type activities at the fort that could keep you very busy. You can rent bikes, boats, do archery, two pools, tennis, teter ball, walking trails, nightly campfire and movie, fireworks seen from the beach every night, etc. The electrical water show every night. With the cabins you would have your own kitchen and lots of space with the benefits of mousekeeping! The fort is a very relaxing atmosphere. You could also rent a golf cart and buzz around the property for a day.

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

I voted Boardwalk. One, I really want to stay there myself because, two, it seems like it has so much fun stuff to do and see all around. In your case, I would definitley go for someplace you've never stayed before.

Upvote 0

disney magic 06

I voted for WL. If I was going to do this (not that I would, but I understand your reasons) I wouldn't want to be gazing at the parks like a child at a toyshop window, I think that's how I'd feel at GF or BW. They're just too close to the parks, and this would make me a little sad.

Whichever you decide on, I'm sure you'll have a great time :)

Upvote 0

acrab3t

It looks like Boardwalk won! Followed by WL (surprised on this one) and then GF.

So now between Boardwalk and GF. I know there is more "to do" on the Boardwalk but we will have a car. And Disney buses. Does that make a difference? And an odd question here - it seems like the Poly is just looking a little old. We would like to stay there and I would rather stay at the Boardwalk for a week or more rather then the Poly. So I was thinking I could kill two birds here - 1) MK view at Poly and 2) checking the Poly off the list.

Thoughts?
I have friends checking into the Poly tomorrow. In a week I will be able to ask them about the feel of the hotel. The Poly is on my must do list so I am very interested to find out if it is realy run down.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
I have friends checking into the Poly tomorrow. In a week I will be able to ask them about the feel of the hotel. The Poly is on my must do list so I am very interested to find out if it is realy run down.

Thanks! That would be awesome! I really appreciate it! :)

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
The Poly is about the have a refurb so if you are concerned with that, you can always wait a couple of years for it to be updated.

Oh really? That is great info to have! Yeah, maybe we will wait then. I love the idea of it. But I just don't get excited when I am there like I am at other resorts.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Any reason why you are excluding AKL from your list of options? For a resort only I would pick AKL-CL. There is a lot to do at the resort as well as many ways to relax. Also, it is Disney but not so much in your face the way the other resorts are (this way you aren't overrun with temptation). With the bit of cash you'll save over the other resorts, treat yourselves to the Wanyama Safari for dinner one night (may be the best overall experience at WDW, IMO).

I am not sure why it didn't make the list. I'm not sure if my DH is really into it. The AK is his least favorite resort. I thought it might be a good opportunity to try it b/c it is very unlikely we would ever stay for an extended period of time. A savannah view room would be something to really enjoy wouldn't it?

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

AKL is a bit off the beaten path. So you may not be as tempted to visit the parks if you were to stay there. It is close to AK...really close but kind of far from the others.
I think a split stay may be a good option so you can enjoy more resorts. We are splitting next summer. We were going to split BLT MK view with AKL SAvannah view but thinking of BWV now....we are torn, as well.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom