Resort Mugs Report

LadyDarling

I told you folks I'd get back to you on this one (sorry that it's been a while. I've been busy with a show!).

The mugs we got in Decemeber at the CBR now have printing on them that reads "Refillable only at location purchased. Free refills until the end of your stay."

So I guess that settles that! ~Jay

RogueHabit

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
Last year at one of the Water Parks they were testing a barcode system. Each mug had a barcode printed on it that was activated in the system when purchased. Then for refills you took the mug up to a regular looking fountain drink machine with one big difference. The machines had barcode scanners built into them. In order to activate the fountain, you had to scan your mug on the reader. Thus, the mugs were activated for the day you bought them only.

I am pretty sure this test proved to be successful in stopping the "muggings" of the fountain machines. I would not be suprised to see it rolled out at the resorts as well as other parks. Not only does it improve inventory management but also eliminates the need to have extra employees to handle refilling sodas and reduces waits of people in line for other products.
Yes, this syetm has been roled out in both water parks now, since sometime last year I believe.

It works very well, but people just by one cup and use it to activate for any other cups they might have so it doesn't really solve the problem, it just means people can now fill any mug easier.

Upvote 0

Lovecraft

Seems like a lot of money to invest in an easily defeatable system.

Guest buys a mug, has several other non barcoded mug, fills barcaoded mug, pours this into non barcoded mug, and repeats for all mugs.

I think in the resorts it would be more cost effective to not install the system.

Upvote 0

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by Lovecraft
Seems like a lot of money to invest in an easily defeatable system.

Guest buys a mug, has several other non barcoded mug, fills barcaoded mug, pours this into non barcoded mug, and repeats for all mugs.

I think in the resorts it would be more cost effective to not install the system.

It may not stop people from cheating ( a very unfortunate trend in our country) on the first day but on a return trip to that particular park it will.

If you can imagine what a place the size of Disney actually pays for fountain soda (ie, not very much at all), then just the simple fact that a person has to purchase one new mug on each visit increases revenue and in many cases throws in a few cents of profit.

Upvote 0

wdwforus

Originally posted by Lovecraft
Drinks are what, something like $1.50 if you don't buy the mug?

Sometimes, for me, it's cheaper to not buy a mug.

I somewhat agree with this statement. We stayed for 5 days and I think we only used our mugs four times. After the price we paid ($30+/-) all we really got out of it was a souvenier. I found that if you were at your resort and were going to have lunch or dinner then go to one of the parks you had to return your mugs to your room so as not to have to carry them all thru the park. We didnt spend much time at our resort and ate mostly on the run at the parks. Now if they had juice machines or milk that you could refill then I think we would have made out. They do make a nice souvenier though, we still have all of ours and use them occasionally.

Upvote 0

LadyDarling

Original Poster
The mugs also have the year on them.

In the end someone will always find a way to break the rules (very unfortunate). Like anything else, "where there's a will, there's a way"! My DH and I are big hot chocolate fans. We'd get one in the morning, down it in the car on the way to the park, head back to resort mid-day for a break - get some fruit punch in our mugs while we lounge by the pool or in our rooms. Then we'd go out for the evening and come back to some hot tea or another does of hot chocolate in our mugs. For the week we spend, it's worth every penny! :)

~J. Darling

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Originally posted by bluesnut
I bleed Blue I bleed Blue:sohappy:

Warning post drift!
Welcome to the boards...glad to have another Blues fan on board!

Ok its over!

Seriously though, we talked it over and have decided that we will all get new mugs are they still about $10 each? We will be there for 10 days so if we only get one drink per day they have paid for themselves and we come home with new mugs!

Upvote 0

debbiedoo

I stayed on property 2001and 2002 and going back in June. We were told at time of purchase that the mugs were only good on the current visit. Just think about it. If you bought one mug at one resort, and went back there for a lifetime, they would definitely be going in the hole. Yes the bags of syrup does not cost very much, but if everyone had to only pay once, that means they are going in the negative zone!! I happened to work in an industry that works closely with major coke vendors!! And they argee!!

Upvote 0

bryon1

Umm lets see mugs are about $10 bucks
the mugs hold with ice about 8 to 10 oz. of drink.

Lets break this down....

So, if you bought $10 bucks of canned soda at publix at 12 oz. a can

lets say 3 cases or 36 cans thats 432 oz
or even better 3.3 gallons of soda

In order to drink 432 oz. (to get your monies worth) you have to make 43 trips to the soda fountain (432 divided by 10 oz.)

Wow, it makes you wonder the profit thats made on just one soda. One would think that (per drink)..this would be perfered than say $6.00 a mug.

Now, would you spend $25.00 on a "all you could drink" mug that would be good at the parks and hotels?

Upvote 0

JBSLJames

Originally posted by bryon1
Now, would you spend $25.00 on a "all you could drink" mug that would be good at the parks and hotels?

Show me where to sign!!

Am I to assume from this thread, that the mugs are small (12 to 16 oz.)? I know the refillable containers at PKI are 32 oz. or even a little bigger. Of course you don't get a free refill with these but you do get re-fills at a reduced price. Limit your ice and you're good to go.

Upvote 0

bryon1

Yah the mugs from the hotels are small even upon adding a small amount of ice your only going to get about 8 to 10 oz. of soda anyway.

This is why I rent the $10 per day referidgerator and stock it with both bottled water/soda/and milk for quick breakfasts. I can justify this cost by NOT having to buy breakfast EVERY Morning.

Even a small ice chest works wonders too!!

Especially if you are staying at CBR if your in the Aruba buildings its a walk and a half just to get to food area. Not worth my time just to get a "free drink"

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by bryon1
Yah the mugs from the hotels are small even upon adding a small amount of ice your only going to get about 8 to 10 oz. of soda anyway.

This is why I rent the $10 per day referidgerator and stock it with both bottled water/soda/and milk for quick breakfasts. I can justify this cost by NOT having to buy breakfast EVERY Morning.

It's $10.70 thank you. :D :lol:

Upvote 0

polyman 65

Sorry when Im on vacation at WDW the last thing I worry about is the cost of pop.We keep bringing back our old mugs year after year,I dont want the hastle of bringing my own pop and water and renting a fridge.We dont spend much time in our room anyway and we always ask for a room dy the food court so its a short walk to refill or eat.Thank God WDW has Coke anyway so no need to bring in pop and WDW water tasts better than our city water:lol: We feel the mugs are a great deal and we even buy a new one sometimes and I think they are around $12.00 now(but everyone has there own opinion)

Upvote 0

Lovecraft

Someone was asking about profit on soft drinks...

If I am not mistaken, someone chime in if they know for sure, but doesn't WDW get the syrup for the soft drink machines for FREE?

:drevil:

Upvote 0

Disfan44

Good question

It would be interesting to know what the kind of deal Disney gets from Coke. I can say that I've managed restaurants for a large national chain and depending on the amount of units and projected usage, we were given a discounted corporate price and free repair of all related equipment. Whatever the deal is, I'm sure it's pretty sweet.

Upvote 0

skipperg

This is all ill relevant. The deal is the mug's are good for refill from the day you purchase to the end of the day you checkout.

Not on your next trip. Not at your next resort, etc.

I'm sure those that change from one resort to another during the same trip may not be breaking the rule, but taking them back, once, twice or many times is not proper.

It doesn't matter if Disney is getting the soda free or paying for it.

I can understand anyone wanting to cut cost and many say that they will spend the money elsewhere at WDW.

Besides, with my luck I would be the one person that Disney would make and example of by embarrassing me for using an old mug. Just isn't worth it.

Will make a point to check the price's on beverages on my next trip. With children it may be cheaper to purchase drinks.

Joe

Upvote 0

Hank Scorpio

For goodness sake... its $10.70!!!!!!

If you can't part with a hard earned ten bucks, then don't! It's not compalsary!

The way people carry on, anyone would think they stung you for $1000 as soon as you checked in.

I for one think that the mugs are good value for money. I am on vacation, I don't want to be hassled with needing to go to a supermarket and re-stocking the fridge. I do this every week at home, why do it when I am having some time off? At the end of the day I am getting unlimited soda, and I don't have to worry about wether i've got some spare change whenever I need a drink. You also get to keep your mug too.

But that's just my opinion. If i didn't like the mugs, I wouldn't accuse Disney of ripping people off.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom