Resort Monorail Broke Down 2/26

disney9752

yes a questionable decision, but probably better than kicking all guests off blue at contemporary, then either dragging blue all the way around the beam empty to the switching beam, & then messing up monorail traffic for a good 45 min to switch from resort, then express, then off to the spur to go to the "roundhouse"....

Mr.EPCOT

disney9752 said:
yes a questionable decision, but probably better than kicking all guests off blue at contemporary, then either dragging blue all the way around the beam empty to the switching beam, & then messing up monorail traffic for a good 45 min to switch from resort, then express, then off to the spur to go to the "roundhouse"....

They would have just pushed Blue the other way back towards the switch.

Incidentally, if Blue had broke down just four or five pylons later, would have resulted in WDW's first train-to-train tow. It would have broke down on the switch, which means we can't open the switch, thus keeping the tow tractor from being able to access it.

mikeymouse

Yea, great pics for a cell phone. What kind is it? ALSO... i forget ... to go from resort to the barn ... you switch from resort to main and then main to backstage?

disney9752

i think it was a good idea to tow blue around a full cycle for another reason, it allowed guests on the other resort trains to exit hopefully at their destination, not just kicked off at the next stop of where they boarded the train because of blue.

Mr.EPCOT

disney9752 said:
i think it was a good idea to tow blue around a full cycle for another reason, it allowed guests on the other resort trains to exit hopefully at their destination, not just kicked off at the next stop of where they boarded the train because of blue.

Not necassarily, because it takes a lot longer to tow it all the way around the beam (I think it was about an hour) than to just remove everyone on the train at the Contemporary, send the train back through the switch, and have the Resort line up and running with the next train (me!) ready to pick those people up and whip them off to wherever were going. In addition, Blue couldn't get its doors open due to the fact that the entire problem with the train was that it had no air pressure. They had to hold the E-handles on each car open in order to get the doors even partially open. Further complicating things, was that there was a Guest in a wheelchair in one of the cars, which typically you HAVE to have the doors completely open to get out. It all made for an unnecessarily long delay.

ThumpersThought

ImagineerMMC said:
In addition, Blue couldn't get its doors open due to the fact that the entire problem with the train was that it had no air pressure.

They have to bleed all the pressure in order to do a tow. Otherwise, the train won't move.

Somehow I doubt they kept unloading at each station... there would be no way to secure the doors after pulling the e-handles if the MR line is empty. It would seem more likely that the train emptied at the first station, then followed door bypass proceedures (3 MPH through stations). This would certainly give the impression of "stopping" at a station to any train following.

mikeymouse said:
ALSO... i forget ... to go from resort to the barn ... you switch from resort to main and then main to backstage?

It's called "Resort Express To Spur" -- move from Resort Beam to Express Beam to the Spur line.

MGMBoy

ImagineerMMC said:
They actually did something that's never been done before last night, they actually towed Blue ALL THE WAY around the beam to let people off at each remaining stop, before taking it to Shop. A questionable decision, but interesting, nonetheless. It took about an hour.

They probably had no choice. The drivers are only in one end of the train and if they were waiting mid-span they would have had no possible way to head the other direction. Plus I'm pretty sure the tug is a pull car, not a pull/push one. If it had happened between GF and MK they would have just emptied the train at MK and drug it off.

MGMBoy

ImagineerMMC said:
They would have just pushed Blue the other way back towards the switch.

Incidentally, if Blue had broke down just four or five pylons later, would have resulted in WDW's first train-to-train tow. It would have broke down on the switch, which means we can't open the switch, thus keeping the tow tractor from being able to access it.

So the tug IS a push/pull? Cool! Didn't know that.

Mr.EPCOT

ThumpersThought said:
They have to bleed all the pressure in order to do a tow. Otherwise, the train won't move.

Somehow I doubt they kept unloading at each station... there would be no way to secure the doors after pulling the e-handles if the MR line is empty. It would seem more likely that the train emptied at the first station, then followed door bypass proceedures (3 MPH through stations). This would certainly give the impression of "stopping" at a station to any train following.

It's called "Resort Express To Spur" -- move from Resort Beam to Express Beam to the Spur line.

No, they stopped at each station. I know because I was the one driving Monorail Red behind Blue. I had to wait for clearance from Monorail Central to proceed to each station until they finally took it off. They also had the manager for the evening get on Blue to ride to each stop with everyone to handle Guest issues. And as far as the e-handles go, when you don't have any air pressure like that, the doors will just snap shut if you let go of the e-handle. You have to physically hold the e-handle the entire time for the door to remain open. Once you let go: SNAP! That was a big hold-up.

ThumpersThought

ImagineerMMC said:
No, they stopped at each station. I know because I was the one driving Monorail Red behind Blue.

Well then, I'm sorry I missed that! :) Then I'll agree with your earlier comment, a questionable decision indeed.

River Roost

Original Poster
mikeymouse said:
Yea, great pics for a cell phone. What kind is it?

I was using my Motorola Razr V3 to take the photos. It has a 1.3 megapixel camera built in. I was actually surprised they even came out. I originally shot about 12 photos but the ones I posted here are the only decent ones.

wdwjmp239

Cool pics!!!

WOW! Cool pics!! Thanks for sharing!

Hello to everyone on here again! :wave:

It's been awhile since I posted anything on this board. I'm back in school again (this time doing the Masters Degree) and school has me bogged down with homework like you wouldn't believe! I just got done typing up one research paper so that'll leave me with more free time to pop on here. :D

Anyways, I'm still recuperating from the Walt Disney trip I took in November during Thanksgiving. Oh my Lord!! That was nuts! I don't remember seeing so many people shoehorned in the parks before. Needless to say, my fiancee' and I had to cut the trip short! It'll be awhile yet before we head back to see "The Mouse."

I also see there have been some changes with the board (new post icons). I also see some new people signed up, too. :sohappy:

Well "ladies and gentlemen", I'm gonna go to bed. :snore: Work calls in the morning. :hammer:

wdwjmp239

River Roost said:
I was using my Motorola Razr V3 to take the photos. It has a 1.3 megapixel camera built in. I was actually surprised they even came out. I originally shot about 12 photos but the ones I posted here are the only decent ones.

That's a pretty slick phone! How do you like it? I'm in the market for a new phone (my Motorola piece of junk I got from Sprint is on its way out, I know that). The phone I have is fine, if you don't have to dial any numbers with a "6" in it (6 key doesn't work... or it works when it wants to) :p

River Roost

Original Poster
Momentary thread drift . . .

ntn_haqqer said:
That's a pretty slick phone! How do you like it?

Have had it since 06/05 and it's still good to go. Haven't dropped it yet like my old Nokia. It was never the same after that.

ntn_haqqer said:
Not to cause a thread drift here, but I love the avatar! LOL

Hey Thanks! I'm a long time fan of the movie. Didn't know how others would take it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom