Resort Hopping

button409

Original Poster
We are staying at All Stars this summer but want to check out some other resorts for our next trip on the days we aren't in the parks (travelling in August, so thinking that its also a good plan for rainy afternoons!). Are you allowed to use their facilities - I'm thinking the kids might want to play in the arcades? I know you can't go in the pools, but can you look at the pool areas? And I also know that some of the resorts have paid activities like tie dye, can guest staying at other properties join these?
If anyone knows any hidden fun things to do at the resorts please let me know!
Thanks!

the_rich

We are staying at All Stars this summer but want to check out some other resorts for our next trip on the days we aren't in the parks (travelling in August, so thinking that its also a good plan for rainy afternoons!). Are you allowed to use their facilities - I'm thinking the kids might want to play in the arcades? I know you can't go in the pools, but can you look at the pool areas? And I also know that some of the resorts have paid activities like tie dye, can guest staying at other properties join these?
Thanks!
I could be wrong but I think other than the yacht and beach club you can go in the pools.

RememberWhen

Many of the pools have gates that need a key-card to open. But you can definitely look around the hotel. Arcades are open to everyone. You can check out the lobbies. We like to hop and roast marshmallows at the different hotels.

Ayla

Thanks!
No, you can't use the pools, but all the other activities/facilities are open to anyone, unless otherwise stated.

TrainsOfDisney

Animal Kingdom Lodge is a wonderful resort to explore, several animal viewing areas and such an incredible atmosphere.

Boardwalk has live entertainment from 7-9(ish?) including acrobats, jugglers, magicians, etc.

Yee-haw Bob plays the piano at Riverside many nights (I think it’s wed. - sat.)

DisneyFanatic12

I could be wrong but I think other than the yacht and beach club you can go in the pools.
You can pool hop at your own resort level. It was originally that DVC members staying on site could go to any pool they wanted, but it’s largely extended to any level now. If you’re at Art of Animation, you could swim in POP Century’s pool, but not Caribbean Beach. If staying at Grand Floridian, or any other DVC resort, you can go anywhere you want (besides Yacht and Beach Club). This is obviously subject to changes at any time.

Edit: Although I’m sure no one would get mad at you for hopping between your own level (if you walk to the other pool), pool hopping is currently suspended. When it is allowed, only DVC members staying on site can pool hop, as per Disney’s stipulations:

When staying on your Membership at any Disney Vacation Club Resort at Walt Disney World Resort or at Disney's Vero Beach Resort, you and any Guests staying with you are permitted to take advantage of complimentary alternative pool use, which provides access to:
  • The pool or pools at the Disney Vacation Club Resort where you are staying
  • Select pools at Disney Vacation Club Resorts
  • Select pools at Walt Disney World Resort hotels
Note: Capacity limits and blockout dates apply. To find out about pool-access availability, please check with a host or hostess at the front desk of the Resort you wish to visit.

You must present your MagicBand or valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card to use the other Resort hotel pools.”

You can read more here: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/recreation-relaxation/pools

the_rich

You can pool hop at your own resort level. It was originally that DVC members staying on site could go to any pool they wanted, but it’s largely extended to any level now. If you’re at Art of Animation, you could swim in POP Century’s pool, but not Caribbean Beach. If staying at Grand Floridian, or any other DVC resort, you can go anywhere you want (besides Yacht and Beach Club). This is obviously subject to changes at any time.

Edit: Although I’m sure no one would get mad at you for hopping between your own level (if you walk to the other pool), pool hopping is currently suspended. When it is allowed, only DVC members staying on site can pool hop, as per Disney’s stipulations:

When staying on your Membership at any Disney Vacation Club Resort at Walt Disney World Resort or at Disney's Vero Beach Resort, you and any Guests staying with you are permitted to take advantage of complimentary alternative pool use, which provides access to:
Note: Capacity limits and blockout dates apply. To find out about pool-access availability, please check with a host or hostess at the front desk of the Resort you wish to visit.

You must present your MagicBand or valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card to use the other Resort hotel pools.”

You can read more here: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/recreation-relaxation/pools
I dont pool hop, but I think other than yacht and beach club this isn't really enforced unless the pools are busy. Stayed at WL last August and no one was checking anyone coming in.

MickeyLuv'r

Thanks!
If you are staying at one of the All Stars, it was always my understanding that you are allowed to use the pools at any of the 3 All Star hotels, or at least that was the case before the pandemic.

The other exception (for non DVC) was people staying at POR/POFQ were allowed to use both pools, and DVC was previously allowed some pool hopping.
FYI, Universal hotels DO allow pool hopping.

During construction at your hotel, WDW used to allow guests to use one other specific feature pool If the one at their hotel was closed.

Otherwise, everyone is generally allowed to explore the other resorts non-swim), including arcades. You can eat at any food court, etc. Yes, you can join the paid activities. (Unless otherwise noted?) I don't know they are all that exciting though. IMO, they are rather $$$ for what they are. You can usually join free activities too, like watching the movies.

One other limitation- I think- is that the game rooms at the DVC hotels are meant for guests of that hotel. I've never verified that though. we're usually too busy with WDW things to play a board game. Worse case, we usually pack a deck of playing cards, but I don't really recall taking them out at WDW.

In August, there won't be any seasonal decorations at the hotels, but Nov-early Jan and around Easter the hotels have holiday decor.

I agree with another poster that AKL has a fair amount to see. In addition to the animals, the hotel has a fair amount of art on display. If you want to relax, there are balconies anyone can use with rocking chairs overlooking the animal areas. (by the hotel rooms). Some of the other hotels have some art too, like in the lobby. The entrance of Steakhouse 71 has some neat photos. DO see the large Mary Blair mural at the Contemporary!

You are allowed to listen to music in the lobby of Grand Floridian. The GF orchestra is gone, but the excellent pianist (I think) still plays in the afternoons.
At Poly, you can get a Dole Whip. At Boardwalk, you can check out mutoscopes. i've never seen it, but WL supposedly has the Carolwood Pacific room with train displays, including 2 cars from Walt's backyard train. You can also see the geyser go off. At the monorial resort, and outside MK, you can catch the electric water parade at night.

You can also walk around the grounds of the hotels. Maybe take the Skyliner, monorail, or boats. The shuttle boats are always an option. I think the smaller ones are especially fun, and especially after dark. JUST KNOW- boats and Skyliner stop running during storms. It can sometimes even be sunny, but if storms are within a certain distance- they stop running. August is maybe warm for extra walking, but at night walking around the lakes can be nice. One of the prettier resorts is Coronado Springs. CBR, Pop/AoA, and POR are also nice.

In addition to the WDW resorts, consider exploring the Swan, Dolphin, and Swan Reserve. If you have AAA there's - I think - a 20% discount off food. More for adults, the sushi place at the Swan has Karaoke at 9:30pm to close.

you can always go on a hidden Mickey hunt as part of resort exploring. You can do this all on your own, or w/help from internet. WDW used to also sell a book, but I'm not sure if they still do. You might also find a used copy, though some of the old ones are now gone (after remodels).

All Star Movies and Music sometimes have an 8:30pm dance party in the food court. The front desk of your hotel should have a Scavenger Hunt map you can pick up to explore the All Star hotels. There's another one theme do Donald too at the ASMovies. the hotels should have lawn games: pong checkers, chess, cornhole. ASMusic has pickleball. It looks like each hotel now has their own scavenger hunt, so you could do them at just about all the resorts. Many of the WDW resorts have nightly campfires with marshmallows and/or storytelling/singing. i think you have to buy a stick in the resort gift shop though, or that used to be the case.

Fort Wilderness has a fair amount to see, like the horses (10am-5pm) and butterfly garden.

If you bought a WDW package, find your coupon book. I think it now comes when you get your WDW luggage tags. Look through the whole packet to find them. It used to always have a coupon for mini-golf. Though we never used ours!

A short ride from WDW is a large outlet mall if you have transportation.

Last edited:

dmw

In the Parks
No
I know that pre-covid several of the resorts offered a scavenger hunt. You go to the front desk to get the list of items and once complete, you could sometimes get a small reward. But, getting to the resorts can be a challenge if driving. The MK resorts usually will not allow you to park just to view the resort.

AKL is our favorite to visit (we even stayed there once). Great food, talk to the international CMs about the animals, etc.

Nottamus

We are DVC at AKL and always like to resort hop. Makes a great part of any vacation

Dahlias lounge on top of tower at Coronado - great place to relax around sunset time.

Geyser point grill- another nice visit

We got away from resort hopping when covid kicked in the ban on parking at resorts without reservations- but this fall I’m going back to the bus and resort hopping again!

NeedMoreMickey

Does anyone know where to find a list of the activities offered at each resort? Last October we did the tie dye tee shirt at Saratoga Springs. Stayed at Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Clubs multiple times and remembered seeing something listed but never took the time to do the activity.

nickys

Premium Member
Does anyone know where to find a list of the activities offered at each resort? Last October we did the tie dye tee shirt at Saratoga Springs. Stayed at Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Clubs multiple times and remembered seeing something listed but never took the time to do the activity.
Now that my go-to site for the resort activity guides is no more, I use the DIS as a source. If you go to the Resorts sub-forum they publish each one at the start of each month in a pinned thread.

Ghostdog

We love to resort hop to check out what they have to offer. It’s a fun way to see a different side of Disney other than the parks and your resort. We love to eat at the different restaurants/cafeterias offered in the other resorts, check out the bars and also do a little browsing of the gift shops.

slappy magoo

The MK resorts usually will not allow you to park just to view the resort.

AKL is our favorite to visit (we even stayed there once). Great food, talk to the international CMs about the animals, etc.
A simple enough workaround for MK resorts is to make reservations at one of the restaurants in GF, Poly or Contemporary. Even if it's one of the "lesser" restaurants, like Kona or GF Cafe (both of them are great, just less expensive than the other restaurants), you can let security know you have reservations, they'll give you like a 3 hour window, and TBH they might not be all that stringent. I wouldn't use that reservation and then go over to MK, but you'd have plenty of time to have dinner then use the monorail to check out the other 2 resorts. TBH, it might be enough to just approach, say, the Poly gate and say you wanted to have a drink at Trader Sam's.
Another potential solution, depending on how busy the MK is, is to park at the TTC, walk to monorail, you're good to go.

When it comes to Epcot resorts, you can make a reservation at one of the restaurants there and then take some time to walk or boat or skyline over to other resorts. I do wonder if there is even security at AoA or Pop, you might be able to park there and then skyline over. Hollywood Studios lost is also an option.

Strong second on checking out AKL

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

You can read more here: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/recreation-relaxation/pools.
Yeah um, none of this is correct.

You can "pool hop" within families of resorts.

All Star Music guests could swim at All Star Sports, but not at Pop Century or Art of Animation.

Port Orleans French Quarter guests could swim at Port Orleans Riverside, but not Coronado Springs.

Animal Kingdom Lodge guests could swim at Kidani Village but not at the Polynesian.

The link you shared applies only to DVC members staying on DVC points, not any random person who books a room at any resort that also has DVC rooms.

DisneyFanatic12

Yeah um, none of this is correct.

You can "pool hop" within families of resorts.

All Star Music guests could swim at All Star Sports, but not at Pop Century or Art of Animation.

Port Orleans French Quarter guests could swim at Port Orleans Riverside, but not Coronado Springs.

Animal Kingdom Lodge guests could swim at Kidani Village but not at the Polynesian.

The link you shared applies only to DVC members staying on DVC points, not any random person who books a room at any resort that also has DVC rooms.
Hence why I said DVC members staying on site, but I guess I should have been more clear (you do have to use points and what not, I just don’t know if anyone that would stay as a member not on points).

Generally, you can pool hop wherever you can walk to. Back when alternative pool use was allowed, I never used transportation to go to another DVC resort while staying DVC (I’m a member) so I can’t speak to whether or not it was easy/welcoming. As per lifeguards and coordinators at many different resorts, you can still pool hop your own resort level if it is within walking distance. It’s strange, because Disney doesn’t like to update their website, so no one ever seems to know for sure what the rules are at the resorts. Anyways, Resort hopping your own resort level (or lower, like going to Caribbean from Riviera) within walking distance is allowed at most resorts.

And then to add even more interesting rules, day guests can now enjoy “standard self parking” at resorts to eat, shop, or participate in paid activities (paid recreation like boating or Mickey Tie Die). Though, again, the compliance with this set of rules varies greatly. Polynesian Village Resort might not let you in one day, but might let you in another. The new set of day guest rules is also weird because it seems like it was supposed to put in place a clear set of rules with dedicated parking and what not, but it didn’t do any of that.

But yes, everything you said is more clear than I put it and is correct. All besides the fact you can pool hop between families of resorts, because technically (according to Disney’s rules) that isn’t allowed. I know that you are able to and the resort staff actually encourages it, but it technically is still against the rules.

As of right now NO ONE can pool hop outside of their own resort amenities. Though, it is still allowed, just not officially from Disney. The page may or may not be updated (it mentions membership card which, for whatever reason, they discontinued and the card now hold no value), but officially as of now NO ONE can technically pool hop. General rule of thumb is that if you can walk to the resort and it’s the same or lower level, you can use it. Always check with a lifeguard or coordinator though, as what is allowed varies between resort and the time of year.

nickys

Premium Member
Hence why I said DVC members staying on site, but I guess I should have been more clear (you do have to use points and what not, I just don’t know if anyone that would stay as a member not on points).

Generally, you can pool hop wherever you can walk to. Back when alternative pool use was allowed, I never used transportation to go to another DVC resort while staying DVC (I’m a member) so I can’t speak to whether or not it was easy/welcoming. As per lifeguards and coordinators at many different resorts, you can still pool hop your own resort level if it is within walking distance. It’s strange, because Disney doesn’t like to update their website, so no one ever seems to know for sure what the rules are at the resorts. Anyways, Resort hopping your own resort level (or lower, like going to Caribbean from Riviera) within walking distance is allowed at most resorts.

And then to add even more interesting rules, day guests can now enjoy “standard self parking” at resorts to eat, shop, or participate in paid activities (paid recreation like boating or Mickey Tie Die). Though, again, the compliance with this set of rules varies greatly. Polynesian Village Resort might not let you in one day, but might let you in another. The new set of day guest rules is also weird because it seems like it was supposed to put in place a clear set of rules with dedicated parking and what not, but it didn’t do any of that.

But yes, everything you said is more clear than I put it and is correct. All besides the fact you can pool hop between families of resorts, because technically (according to Disney’s rules) that isn’t allowed. I know that you are able to and the resort staff actually encourages it, but it technically is still against the rules.

As of right now NO ONE can pool hop outside of their own resort amenities. Though, it is still allowed, just not officially from Disney. The page may or may not be updated (it mentions membership card which, for whatever reason, they discontinued and the card now hold no value), but officially as of now NO ONE can technically pool hop. General rule of thumb is that if you can walk to the resort and it’s the same or lower level, you can use it. Always check with a lifeguard or coordinator though, as what is allowed varies between resort and the time of year.
Your posts are full of contradictions, especially this one.

You’re saying CMs allow it but technically it’s against the rules. ??? Then you go on to say right now no one can pool hop anywhere according to rules but it’s still “allowed”. So basically you’re suggesting the CMs are knowingly flouting the rules. I know Disney is renowned for inconsistency but that takes some beating.

The only thing that makes sense in this post is that pool hopping is currently suspended. Other than the AKL, All Stars and Port Orleans twinned resorts which has always been the case and still is. It’s even stated on the website, certainly for AKL and Port Orleans.

As for DVC members, pre-Covid we could hop to any other resort but generally not to the feature pools. Since Covid times it’s been suspended period. We still have digital membership cards though.

Many people do stay at DVC resorts through Disney . Not sure why you think that doesn’t happen.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
General rule of thumb is that if you can walk to the resort and it’s the same or lower level, you can use it.
Dude. No.

That has NEVER been the "general rule of thumb," it's 100% incorrect. DVC members are the only guests who have ever been allowed to pool hop, and pool hopping is suspended even for them. There is NO pool hopping for non-DVC guests. None whatsoever.

DisneyFanatic12

Your posts are full of contradictions, especially this one.
Yes, that post was filled with contradictions to highlight the contradictions made by Disney.
You’re saying CMs allow it but technically it’s against the rules. ??? Then you go on to say right now no one can pool hop anywhere according to rules but it’s still “allowed”. So basically you’re suggesting the CMs are knowingly flouting the rules. I know Disney is renowned for inconsistency but that takes some beating.
That’s exactly what I’m saying! It is against the set of rules Disney put forth, but is in fact oftentimes encouraged.
The only thing that makes sense in this post is that pool hopping is currently suspended. Other than the AKL, All Stars and Port Orleans twinned resorts which has always been the case and still is. It’s even stated on the website, certainly for AKL and Port Orleans.
Alas, I have not checked the specific Resort pages of the website. But according to the rules set by Disney, no pool hopping between resorts at all. Sister resorts are still different resorts.
As for DVC members, pre-Covid we could hop to any other resort but generally not to the feature pools. Since Covid times it’s been suspended period. We still have digital membership cards though.
Back when it was allowed you could go to the feature pools. We do have digital cards, but it mentions showing your physical cards which, according to Disney, are merely a price of plastic with no value.
Many people do stay at DVC resorts through Disney . Not sure why you think that doesn’t happen.
I’m sorry, I inserted an opinion into my post. Yes, there are people that stay on cash instead of points. My opinion from what I’ve seen is that it is exceedingly rare for someone that owns DVC to book a room at a DVC resort with cash. Obviously, though, it does happen. Said point should not be a point of inconsistencies, however, as the part of my first post centered on the stipulations of pool hopping when not suspended was directly pasted from Disney’s website.

Dude. No.

That has NEVER been the "general rule of thumb," it's 100% incorrect. DVC members are the only guests who have ever been allowed to pool hop, and pool hopping is suspended even for them. There is NO pool hopping for non-DVC guests. None whatsoever.
I won’t argue, as there really isn’t any moderates or values connected to each other that you wouldn’t consider a “sister resort”. POFQ vs POR is a walking distance same resort level. AoA and Pop are walking distance and same resort level. Jambo and Kidani and walking distance and same resort level. Poly and Grand are incompatible because that were always restricted even when pool hopping was allowed.

I believe we’re saying the same thing, but I don’t really care if we aren’t. Ask a Coordinator, leader, or the resort manager/president. They’d be happy to talk to you. As long as I’ve stayed as a DVC member, you’ve been able to go to the sister resorts within walking distance.

I’ll stop posting to this thread now, because I really don’t want to litter it with a needless argument. In addition, this is completely unnecessary and unrelated to the thread at this point. Pool hopping is against the rules, I’ll just leave it at that. You can ask a coordinator or their higher-ups on the current rules and they can relay those rules to you if desired. At the end of the day, I wouldn’t trust the Disney World website for up-to-date information as, according to the website, the monorail to Epcot still suspended due to Covid.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom