Reservation expansion

RSoxNo1

Bad data leads to bad conclusions… and so does incompetence with that data. That pains me as a data guy to say, but with all of the “bad” changes going on at Disney somebody must have really flubbed this effort up…
You hit it on the head actually. I recall @lentesta mentioning that a significant percentage of the data they collected was useless and they didn't know which side was useful and which side wasn't.

gorillaball

The $3 billion data mining project that was Next Gen was intended to help with staffing... @lentesta can predict wait times with a pretty low margin of error for a fraction of a percentage of Disney's cost. Besides everything, what are they doing wrong that necessitates an expansion to programs that further decrease guest satisfaction?
!!!!!! It amazes me they claim it helps that much with staffing. If off site guests are the unknown that gives them fits then reservations for off property - problem solved

scottieRoss

They aren’t close…they are already there. Even their premium offerings are seeing cancellations. Relatives are Club 33 and they are seeing members quit bc they have hit the five yr mark and decided it was no longer worth it. People selling DVC is a good thing for Disney as it means new customer acquisition. DVC resale numbers were at an eye opening level at price per point when I last looked. Unfortunately folks still have the mindset that Disney is a family corporation that should value guest experience and retainment over shareholder return. Sadly that is no longer the case.
Now that is just not correct. DVC resale prices have sunk in the last few months. April alone avg resale was down $6 per point.

MickeyLuv'r

In that sense I agree. Where I the issue seems to be is I'm sure they still want people to spend time in the parks no matter the time of day. My point being is the guest they don't like is those who walk through Epcot to get to DHS only stopping for a bite to eat. It goes with those who go to MK for an hour or 2 in the morning then hop somewhere for lunch.
Except park hopping via WDW transportation takes time. Parkgoers who are waiting/riding buses are happily occupied. They are not riding Space Mtn. They will happily allow two hours to go between Teppan Edo and Peter Pan.

I think the problem is G+ has exposed just how bad HS is. When parkgoers realize they can't effectively ride anything standby, they want out. When all the attractions have 2-hour waits, that's a mess.

drizgirl

Except park hopping via WDW transportation takes time. Parkgoers who are waiting/riding buses are happily occupied. They are not riding Space Mtn. They will happily allow two hours to go between Teppan Edo and Peter Pan.

I think the problem is G+ has exposed just how bad HS is. When parkgoers realize they can't effectively ride anything standby, they want out. When all the attractions have 2-hour waits, that's a mess.
The FP+ tiering exposed that long ago.

MickeyLuv'r

Yes, but I think it is even worse now. In prior years, if HS was packed you could hop at any time.

(Even if your tickets did not have hopping, you could pay to add it.)

aladdin2007

This, we left by 1pm the other day because the park unbearably crowded and useless to attempt anything, the only thing approachable and wait-able was star tours. anything else had over a 100 min wait time, half the day is shot by the time you wait for just one. It feels to me like they are pushing out everyone who is either not staying on property or not using genie especially. As extreme as it sounds I still say the day is coming where all the parks are going to be restricted to on site guests only, dvc, etc....locals, passholders, one day guests etc, they do not want.

Sandurz

I think the park pass reservation system was implemented as a way to keep staffing to the absolute minimum, and thereby lowering costs.
Right, exactly, that's what @castlecake2.0 is refuting. It's the other way around. There is no excess staff to cut right now. So IF they're doing anything at all besides just arbitrarily limiting attendance/making life difficult for guests (and that's a big IF) they're right-sizing guests to match available staff levels, not matching staff to guest levels.

I think that even pre-pandemic that there is zero way they would have actually been able to do the whole "match staffing to guest levels" thing with any real net benefit to their bottom line. It's a very complicated problem and system, and given their track record with how useless NextGen turned out to be, I don't think they could outperform whatever classic system of forecasting they have based on hotel occupancy and ticket sales to any useful degree.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
The FP+ tiering exposed that long ago.
But you were still
Able to get 3 rides before boarding a plane and also add during the day while at HS. Another reason FP was a superior system for resort guests. You could legit get 5-6 FP rides/attractions/shows possibly more which makes it easier to stand in line for that 1 or 2 others you may want to ride etc

drizgirl

But you were still
Able to get 3 rides before boarding a plane and also add during the day while at HS. Another reason FP was a superior system for resort guests. You could legit get 5-6 FP rides/attractions/shows possibly more which makes it easier to stand in line for that 1 or 2 others you may want to ride etc
But only one headliner.

When they first rolled out FP+ it was without tiers and it was an absolute mess. That made it obvios really fast how inadequate that capacity was.

castlecake2.0

Right, exactly, that's what @castlecake2.0 is refuting. It's the other way around. There is no excess staff to cut right now. So IF they're doing anything at all besides just arbitrarily limiting attendance/making life difficult for guests (and that's a big IF) they're right-sizing guests to match available staff levels, not matching staff to guest levels.

I think that even pre-pandemic that there is zero way they would have actually been able to do the whole "match staffing to guest levels" thing with any real net benefit to their bottom line. It's a very complicated problem and system, and given their track record with how useless NextGen turned out to be, I don't think they could outperform whatever classic system of forecasting they have based on hotel occupancy and ticket sales to any useful degree.
This.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
But only one headliner.

When they first rolled out FP+ it was without tiers and it was an absolute mess. That made it obvios really fast how inadequate that capacity was.
You can only get 1 headliner now lol. And lets face it. As a resort guest. Slinky was a no brainer imo and you were able to get ToT and TSM if you had little ones or RnRC if that was your cup of tea. The rest for most part were easily attainable day of as add ons. Muppet vision? ST? VoTLM? A.S.S. Disney jr Dance Party. Even Frozen Sing along…. So again what am i missing. You chose 3 and were all able to get them before noonish. Good luck doing that with Genie….

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom