Resale Prices Down?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And if you believe that, you'll believe anything. The argument it's for the good of members makes no logical sense.

It's all about DVD wanting to take control of the resale market.

And your point re Riviera points being usable by a resale buyer anywhere if they hold some direct points isn't correct.
This policy is actually good for existing members. Even if Riviera resale buyers are a very small percentage of total owners that’s still a few less people fighting me for a reservation at the 7 month mark ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This data take into account the contracts that disney buys back during rofr?
If you click on the link and scroll down a bit he has estimates for OKW due to the mess with the 2057 extension but is using actual numbers for AKV and SSR for foreclosures and ROFR

YorkshireT

This policy is actually good for existing members. Even if Riviera resale buyers are a very small percentage of total owners that’s still a few less people fighting me for a reservation at the 7 month mark ;)

It has no advantage whatsoever. Any resale members from Riviera cannot book into original 14. Any resale members from original 14 cannot book into Riviera. There are will be, in any given time period going forward, more resale buyers for the original 14, than resale buyers for Riviera. Thus a much smaller proportion will not be able to transfer into the original 14 than transfer out as time goes on. Also given Riviera is new, most buyers will not be selling for some time (average period of ownership 10-14 years). What this means is a comparatively modest number of Riviera owners locked out of your resort, whilst most can book your resort. Less people who own at original 14 can book into Riviera (all resale post Feb) so place more pressure on original 14.
So it actually makes your 7 month booking window worse.
It also doesn't help Riviera owners, who could (see below) eventually have a ton of resale being unable to book OKW and SSR fighting for the coveted 11 month booking window- with nowhere else to go.
The only people who will gain, very marginally as so few resale contracts are currently affected but this will increase in the next few years, is Riviera buyers who will for a short period, until their own resale contracts start to hit the market in higher numbers, have a slightly smaller proportion of original 14 being able to book their property.
Of course, they are going to see significantly depressed resale values and be hit hard in their pockets.
Anyone who thinks this was done for the good of the membership, needs to really think about this- they did this so they could squash resale, which if they manage it and manage to ROFR contracts back cheap and thus mainly recycle and sell direct, could actually help original Riviera owners with the problem of too many of their co-owners (resale) being locked in. That will however not help original 14.
This is a long term plan. Gradually as the original 14 get closed down and resold/ rebuilt with the new rules, resale will be well and truly squished.

YorkshireT

Yes, and I admitted as such in a later post.

Sorry missed that.

From my perspective, shame they did this for Riviera. I like the look of the new rooms so much, I would likely have been prepared to overlook the slightly dodgy location (given the Gondola depending on how that goes) and actually buy here, as the 1 beds are absolutely superb. But those resale restrictions lost them a customer with me. We will have to see how many others think about that, or whether they will just jump in and buy regardless.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Sorry missed that.

From my perspective, shame they did this for Riviera. I like the look of the new rooms so much, I would likely have been prepared to overlook the slightly dodgy location (given the Gondola depending on how that goes) and actually buy here, as the 1 beds are absolutely superb. But those resale restrictions lost them a customer with me. We will have to see how many others think about that, or whether they will just jump in and buy regardless.
I agree with your thoughts on controlling the resale market, but also think that Disney wanted to keep raising the DVC point price. And this property was sorta like trying to sell SSR at Poly prices. Thus they changed the rules Riviera needs to be considered another entity from the original properties. An analogy. Volvo makes cars. The xc40,×c60,xc90, each more expensive than the last Thats the original dvc. Then they bring out a product that looks like an xc40 but are pricing it like an xc90, so instead they say its not part of the volvo xc line...maybe its a new car altogether, but under the surface its an xc40, which btw is a great little suv in real life!
Again i could be totally wrong and will see when it opens, but just the thoughts.

Last edited:

correcaminos

I agree with your thoughts on controlling the resale market, but also think that Disney wanted to keep raing the DVC point orice. And this property was sorta like trying to sell SSR at Poly prices. Thus they changed the rules Riviera needs to be considered another entity from the original properties. An analogy. Volvo makes cars. The xc40,×c60,xc90, each more expensive than the last Thats the original dvc. Then they bring out a product that looks like an xc40 but are pricing it like an xc90, so instead they say its not part of the volvo xc line...maybe its a new car altogether, but under the surface its an xc40, which btw is a great little suv in real life!
Again i could be totally wrong and will see when it opens, but just the thoughts.

Huh? No way I see it being SSR level at all.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Huh? No way I see it being SSR level at all.
Maybe a bad comparison as SSR is more of a condo vibe, it certainly reminds me of Sapphire Falls at Uni, which is a Value property.

Janir

Ah, the newer generation is not into ownership as much as you think. We are becoming a society that likes to "rent" things and so you should always have an eye towards where things go if you want to get rid of something. If you are asking for the same amount of points for this as you are for CCV and the CCV is transferable to be used at a dozen resorts and this one can only be transferred to be used at this one, you would be crazy not to pick CCV over Rivera. Options are a good thing in life
Part of the reason we bought into CCV and didn't wait until Riviara opened up. If I have to resell at least the buyer will be able to get into the older properties.

correcaminos

Maybe a bad comparison as SSR is more of a condo vibe, it certainly reminds me of Sapphire Falls at Uni, which is a Value property.

I don't see this like - at all!

Marble, crystal on the lights, soft furnishings. Nope, don't see the level at all that you are taking it to. Sapphire Falls is better than WDW values but still hurts my eyes to look at and I normally love blue.

eliza61nyc

Ok this maybe a supremely stupid question, but with Riveria just opening up, how much of a resale market is there going to be??

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Ok this maybe a supremely stupid question, but with Riveria just opening up, how much of a resale market is there going to be??
Not much at all, but the other properties have a healthy market, that did for sure take a hit, maybe pretty small but a hit all the same with these further restrictions.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It has no advantage whatsoever. Any resale members from Riviera cannot book into original 14. Any resale members from original 14 cannot book into Riviera. There are will be, in any given time period going forward, more resale buyers for the original 14, than resale buyers for Riviera. Thus a much smaller proportion will not be able to transfer into the original 14 than transfer out as time goes on. Also given Riviera is new, most buyers will not be selling for some time (average period of ownership 10-14 years). What this means is a comparatively modest number of Riviera owners locked out of your resort, whilst most can book your resort. Less people who own at original 14 can book into Riviera (all resale post Feb) so place more pressure on original 14.
So it actually makes your 7 month booking window worse.
It also doesn't help Riviera owners, who could (see below) eventually have a ton of resale being unable to book OKW and SSR fighting for the coveted 11 month booking window- with nowhere else to go.
The only people who will gain, very marginally as so few resale contracts are currently affected but this will increase in the next few years, is Riviera buyers who will for a short period, until their own resale contracts start to hit the market in higher numbers, have a slightly smaller proportion of original 14 being able to book their property.
Of course, they are going to see significantly depressed resale values and be hit hard in their pockets.
Anyone who thinks this was done for the good of the membership, needs to really think about this- they did this so they could squash resale, which if they manage it and manage to ROFR contracts back cheap and thus mainly recycle and sell direct, could actually help original Riviera owners with the problem of too many of their co-owners (resale) being locked in. That will however not help original 14.
This is a long term plan. Gradually as the original 14 get closed down and resold/ rebuilt with the new rules, resale will be well and truly squished.
My post was just a joke. I don’t think this was done for the good of membership.

Fair points, assuming there are more future resale buyers at the original 14 than at the new resorts you are correct. At some point with 2042 fast approaching and the number of new resorts increasing there will probably be a point where more resale buyers are purchasing at “restricted” resorts than the legacy 14 but that could be a decade or more down the road.

correcaminos

Answer to this: no one knows. At first nothing really at all - only those who bought in clueless and need to unload. after that... we'll see. The "buy where you want to stay" mentality is rather huge right now since the studios are getting harder to book, so if you want to stay there, buying there at resale isn't a bad thing.

Nero the dog

I feel sorry for any Riveria owners who don't book before the 7 month window opens up.
They can't go to any other resort, and their home resort will instantly be full with owners (not under resale restrictions) from the original 14

eliza61nyc

I feel sorry for any Riveria owners who don't book before the 7 month window opens up.
They can't go to any other resort, and their home resort will instantly be full with owners (not under resale restrictions) from the original 14

I thought it was just if you buy resale. can someone correct me. If they buy Riveria direct can they book at the original 14?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I thought it was just if you buy resale. can someone correct me. If they buy Riveria direct can they book at the original 14?
The restriction is ONLY for resale buyers at Riviera. Anyone buying direct gets full access to all current and future properties, just like current owners.

Here is the official word from the DVC website:

Important Information About Access to Disney Vacation Club Resorts

• Effective January 19, 2019, Disney Vacation Club Members who do not acquire their real estate interest directly from the developer will not be able to make Vacation Point reservations at some or all non-Home Resorts.
  • Once sales of Disney’s Riviera Resort begin, Members who purchase a resale contract at that Resort will only be able to stay at their Home Resort. Resale contracts purchased at the 14 other Disney Vacation Club Resorts opened prior to Disney’s Riviera Resort will only be able to exchange into those 14 Resorts but not into Disney’s Riviera Resort.
  • Members who purchase directly from Disney Vacation Club have the opportunity to use their Vacation Points to stay at all current and potential future Disney Vacation Club Resorts and access additional benefits such as Membership Extras.
If you already own direct, you are good for everywhere, but if you purchase resale from Riviera, those points can ONLY be used at Riviera, even though you are already a direct owner. If it is someplace that you want to stay at, then sure, buy the cheaper resale points, and use them for the 11 month booking window at Riviera. You would, of course, not be able to combine your direct points to use there, until the 7 month window opens.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Yep :)

Only resale is limited to Riviera only. The wording now is such that only resales have limitations. Direct purchases are no different now than they were pre-RR

eliza61nyc

Yep :)

Only resale is limited to Riviera only. The wording now is such that only resales have limitations. Direct purchases are no different now than they were pre-RR

Thanks guys,
I don't know why but I have no problem with this. Maybe it's because that's exactly what my company already does. lol. You buy direct from us, yes the product is priced higher but you get tech support, analytical support and engineering. You purchase cheaper on line distributor, you get the product only.
I know it's not exactly the same but....Disney is protecting it's brand.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Thanks guys,
I don't know why but I have no problem with this. Maybe it's because that's exactly what my company already does. lol. You buy direct from us, yes the product is priced higher but you get tech support, analytical support and engineering. You purchase cheaper on line distributor, you get the product only.
I know it's not exactly the same but....Disney is protecting it's brand.
These are two different animals though, and in my business a product bought from a reputable distributor is still treated as if bought direct. If Disney did not want it to be transferable item, then they should not be selling it in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom