report of new nighttime show at DAK

cjk0318

The people in the post(s) above me were just talking about the Glow With The Show, and I didn't wanna intrude in their convo. That's all :p

jrh1985

Sorry to de-rail the conversation a little bit, but I did speak to Steve last night and asked about the new nighttime show for Animal Kingdom.

Steve Davison did not deny the fact that there's a new nighttime show for Disney's Animal Kingdom, so that part of 'Rivers of Light!' is indeed true. (WOO!) I asked if he was working on the new show and his response was: " No I turned it down. I'm not doing it". So, (take this info with a grain of salt) but this is NOT a Steve Davison production. I asked why he turned it down, and all he stated that "there were multiple reasons. None of which matter now."

I tried, I really did. Once I figure out how to upload pictures on here, I'll post a screenshot of the conversation.
Now I'm going to derail this thread! LOL!!!!
Did you happen to ask him about his other projects? How is FOF comming along?

TTA94

That's a bummer Steve is not working on Rivers of Light.. That pretty much confirms it will not be a WOC :-( and a WOC type show at AK would be perfect!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I feel like this was previously discussed here and dismissed as an option that was not pursued.

Conceptually, sounds cool. But I would question the ida of extending park hours into night time in 2014, without more attractions being build. Seems to me like you'd have longer operating hours (and associated higher costs) but I'm not sure you'd have significantly longer guest stays. Would this increase dinner sales in park enough to justify it?

Yeah, when Yak and Yeti opened the hours were longer and there was EMHs. We were in mid-stay when Y&Y opened and ate dinner there during their soft opening. Wonder how all that worked out between the owners and Disney.

TTA94

It doesn't mean that! There are still top name Imagineers within Creative Entertainment that could work on the show. Just because Steve isn't working on it, doesn't mean there won't be fountains; It's possible to still be WOC-type show. You gotta believe :)

Fingers crossed :) As much as I wish I doubt it will be next year. First off a lot of work will have to be done to the water areas to clean it up lol, then landscaping, viewing areas, etc.

GLaDOS

The DAK show is similar to WOC, requires a theater, and is a Davidson plan. It has not been given the green light as far as I have been told.

CDavid

Well, if it is this River of Light concept, it sounds like it is a combination of a projection show (like Celebrate the Magic) with a water parade (like the floats from Fantasmic! or a much larger version or the Electric Water Pageant). That's distinct from a WoC show, but sounds pretty cool in its own right.

I thought the previous rumors for Rivers of Light stated it was to be a (Lantern) parade and not a water based show? Has that changed, or is "river" in the name just throwing people off?

doctornick

I thought the previous rumors for Rivers of Light stated it was to be a (Lantern) parade and not a water based show? Has that changed, or is "river" in the name just throwing people off?

This thread was started based on a post on the Disney Hipsters site. It decribes the River of Light show like this:

Rivers of Light (I figure the more often I repeat the title, the less pedestrian it will sound) will incorporate Disney’s new favorite toy – that being projection technology – to make the animals emblazoned on the Tree Of Life seemingly (relatively speaking) come alive. That, coupled with our earlier report about the use of lanterns (truth be told, we aren’t 100% sure what that exactly means) and boats on the river that surrounds the Tree of Life (henceforth known as Tree of Life River), should result in a rather impressive looking aqua-parade that is sure to delight guests of all ages (AKA Disney’s target demographic, right?).

It says boats on the river together with the projections on the Tree of Life. It's not clear how the lanterns fit in -- whether they would be on the boats or whether they would be on the tree or land.

doctornick

The DAK show is similar to WOC, requires a theater, and is a Davidson plan. It has not been given the green light as far as I have been told.

Interesting, but last page there was this post indicating that Davison is not involved in the project. Are you saying that the concept was his idea, which leaves the possibiity of it being worked on by someone else? Or that you beleive Davison is involved in the process currently?

Tim_4

I feel like this was previously discussed here and dismissed as an option that was not pursued.

Conceptually, sounds cool. But I would question the ida of extending park hours into night time in 2014, without more attractions being build. Seems to me like you'd have longer operating hours (and associated higher costs) but I'm not sure you'd have significantly longer guest stays. Would this increase dinner sales in park enough to justify it?
It's not just dinner sales. It's not even about DAK per se. It's about changing guest behavior. Right now, you can do a day each at MK, DHS, Epcot, and DAK. Park hopping after DAK means there is enough time to finish what you missed at MK or Epcot without needing an additional day. If there are four night shows, it means you need to be in four different parks on four different evenings. Treating DAK as a half day park would no longer work because you'd miss the spectacular. This would drive "second day" clicks at MK and Epcot.

fbp

Out of all the rumours currently swirling I'd most like this one to be true and come to fruition.

I'd love a good reason to be in the Animal Kingdom for the evening.

cjk0318

May've not been given the green light to put in the park just yet, but planning and production has begun; It's happening one way or another.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom