report of new nighttime show at DAK

doctornick

FWIW, it was @GLaDOS who commented on the night time show here, but said it was going to be a theater set up in DAK and not in the CMM/Avatar area. Doesn't quite fit in this the River of Light desciption I don't think since I don't see where they'd build a full theater on the banks of the Discovery River -- I'm assuming that if this River of Light idea comes to pass that it would involve the guests simple standing on paths and looking at the tree/river.

SirLink

First off, the rivers are disgusting! Why don't they add fountains... Secondly, the trees are SOOOO over-grown around the rivers, noone could see anything. Bad idea!

Easy you want the lilies on the river? Then the water is not chlorinated - thus putting fountains in would take so much effort just in maintenance - why not create a man made lake ala DHS Amphitheater

Sue_Vongello

The take away from the article for me is that they had some sort of testing? That has to be something that can be confirmed by more people ... if true.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
It seems as though when Rivers of Light (a land based offering) came into serious discussion a few years back, major modifications of existing walkways and infrastructure would have to be done. Since this would pretty much mean a widening of the current paths, massive clear cutting would be needed, probably turning Animal Kingdoms lushness into what we have in the hub at the Magic Kingdom. I think that cooler heads prevailed in this circumstance, and I for one, hope that the beauty of AK is not sacrificed all for a night show.

Tim_4

not putting words in @Tim_4 mouth but he did mention nighttime show i believe....interesting article none the less
Hmmm. I also took Tim_4's comments to mean a WoC show to be built in the CMM/Avatar area. But now that you mention it, one of the insiders -- I think @articos or @marni1971 -- mentioned that there was a show being developed and it was not going to be located in the Avatar area but somewhere else in the park. And this River of Light idea would fit in with that.

And, completely differently, I recall that sometime last year there was discussions around the point that two new entertainment offerings were being developed for WDW, as evidenced by one of the big entertainment developers moving to Florida to work on them. One is the Festival of Fantas parade, but it's possible that this River of Light show was the second one. Does anyone remember that discussion? I think it was in the summer or fall 2013 on here.
I never meant to imply that any potential DAK show would be IN the Avatar physical space or be Avatar themed. The only way they're connected is that they're under one "DAK Full Day" project number with one umbrella capital budget.

doctornick

I never meant to imply that any potential DAK show would be IN the Avatar physical space or be Avatar themed. The only way they're connected is that they're under one "DAK Full Day" project number with one umbrella capital budget.

Fair enough. Could you comment on whether you believe this River of Light rumor as legit? Or have you heard something different in terms of a night time show?

twebber55

Original Poster
thats the way i always thought of it when mentioned.... the first thing i thought of was DAK FULL Day

also when reading this article i never once thought avatar related

doctornick

also when reading this article i never once thought avatar related

I've never gotten the sense that any proposed night time show would be Avatar themed. Though I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that a show theater would be built in part of the CMM space, adjacent to the Avatar "land".

I'm intrigued by this water based show and would like for it to be true. I think that it could be up and running in the short term -- I don't see why it couldn't be developed in a year and be ready some time in 2014 -- which would give DAK a needed boost while Avatar is being built.

twebber55

Original Poster
I've never gotten the sense that any proposed night time show would be Avatar themed. Though I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that a show theater would be built in part of the CMM space, adjacent to the Avatar "land".

I'm intrigued by this water based show and would like for it to be true. I think that it could be up and running in the short term -- I don't see why it couldn't be developed in a year and be ready some time in 2014 -- which would give DAK a needed boost while Avatar is being built.
i agree with you i always thought it would go behind rainforest cafe and this is very intriguing giving DAK a boost

doctornick

Didn't someone here say there was a show in the works for DAK called RING OF FIRE?

Yes, it was previously discussed on these boards like here. My impression was that it was more of a parade on land.

This Rivers of Light idea sounds intriguing to me since it seems like a synthesis of a parade -- with boats travelling around the Discovery River -- and a projection show like WoC or CtM. I guess it would be kind of like Fantasmic at DL in execution and I think that would feel somewhat unique at WDW.

I think something like that at night combined with (hopefully) a day time parade would be an appropriate amount of big entertainment for making the park "a full day".

tissandtully

And their basically saying that it is a projection show using the Tree of Life ( ala Celebrate the Magic at MK ) with some lanterns and boats. I don't want another projection show. One is enough.

Projection show on TOL would be awesome. I love the projection tech.

tl77

I get the feeling this AK night show is mostly just a way to start selling the "Glow with the Show" Mickey ears in Florida, since AK is the only place at the moment with out a night time show

ToTBellHop

I get the feeling this AK night show is mostly just a way to start selling the "Glow with the Show" Mickey ears in Florida, since AK is the only place at the moment with out a night time show
I doubt that. The Glow with the Show ears have hardly been successful. I think it is more a way to ensure folks spend a full day at DAK. As it is, people are happy to spend a half day at DAK and a half day at DHS. Clearly, Disney would like to make those both full days (and presumably steal a day back from Universal/SeaWorld/Legoland/Gatorland/Kennedy/Busch Gardens/Beach)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom