Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andysol

Shouldn't take 4 years to build but Disney have become obsessed with these 'long term plan' announcements aka Hong Kong & Tokyo so it wouldn't surprise me.

I dislike the long construction schedules as much as anyone- but I fully expect a long build. This won't be a simple "Build this attraction here". It will have some significant infrastructure changes. Between the railroad, speedway, and space mountain shop- there are a lot of things that will need to be rerouted or changed.

Spike-in-Berlin

Actually, it would be kind of cool for the speedway to be re-themed to lightcycles.
Lightcycles that drive at 3 m.p.H.? No, the entire idea of an attraction like TLS or Autopia is heavily outdated, in the 1950ies the idea of a huge network of interstate highways was something new, cars were just becoming a real mean of mass transportation. I don't consider the entire idea of such a ride appropriate any longer, especially in TOMORROWLAND. What is even remotely futuristic about cars on a speedway? TLS is an outdated, annoying and loud eyesore, an enormous waste of space, it should be demolished completely and replaced by another E-Ticket for TL

clemmo

I'm most shocked this will be revealed this D23. I was expecting something of this caliber, speedway overhaul, stitch replacement, and new parade to be announced in 2019 ahead of the MK 50th and this D23 focus more on Epcot since we're still a long ways away from the former.

Princess Leia

View attachment 214834

I shouldn't say anymore. And I apologise if I've missed any questions I can answer. My alert notifications has kind of gone stratosphoric.
If someone who has been to MK recently could help me out, that would be appreciated- where would a thematically appropriate entrance go? Looking at a map, it looks like someplace near Barnstormer is the way to go, but that's not a future/tech related area over there.

brb1006

I'm most shocked this will be revealed this D23. I was expecting something of this caliber, speedway overhaul, stitch replacement, and new parade to be announced in 2019 ahead of the MK 50th and this D23 focus more on Epcot since we're still a long ways away from the former.
Save the new parade for D23 2019.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Sorry if it sounded that way- No, it didn't get mentioned- I know, this thread is moving fast :)

I was just stating that with the added capacity Tron would give that area of the park- that WDW could afford to take down SM for a prolonged time without feeling a ton of impact.

That said, I could see it closing down at the same time as the speedway- similar to New Fantasyland- and just redo the entire area all at once. I might even prefer it that way. Rip the bandaid off, so to speak- I don't know who can physically ride SM in its current state without a chiropractor on call :D
I just booked our FP's on Saturday, accumulating a total of four for Space Mountain. It ain't Disney if you're not crippled by the end of the trip.

disneygeek90

If someone who has been to MK recently could help me out, that would be appreciated- where would a thematically appropriate entrance go? Looking at a map, it looks like someplace near Barnstormer is the way to go, but that's not a future/tech related area over there.
Push out past the SM shop, create a walkway around there, up against the Speedway?

britain

Maybe the Epcot updates (besides Rat) are lagging behind?

andysol

So- knowing where Tron is going to go- I'm expecting a complete retracking of the speedway.

img_7737-jpg.214834

As it currently stands, the shops at space mountain would need to be Demo'd to provide the entrance and exit for Tron- while still remaining Space Mountains exit. Do we think that is even possible?
Not only do you have a ridiculous bottleneck, but you'd either have no gift shop- or a gift shop that provided both space mountain and Tron exits and merchandise. In other words- this isn't going to happen.

So I expect a complete retracking of the speedway. Or at least a portion of it. I believe this is also why @marni1971 said we shouldn't have a separate thread for this- as the Tron ride will directly impact the speedway as it currently stands.

They are certainly going to capitalize on some Tron merch- particularly some light up stuff for night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom