Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So no RR removal, and you stated that SM should be safe (THANK GOD!). Also that it would be the biggest change to that area since 1980 and 1992. Tomorrowland's big changes were in 1975 (Space Moutain) and in the late 94/95 (ExtraTERRORestrial Encounter, Spaceport theme). However, BTMRR opened in 1980 at WDW and Splash Mtn opened in 1992. This seems to be implying that you are not talking about Tomorrowland at all.

Could that area you spoke of be Frontierland? Not for Tron, but for something?

Is there a Frontierland expansion of the table or am I reading to deeply into this?
Sorry, I meant it'll change guest flow and views both from and into the park as much as BTM and Splash did.

brb1006

That drawing looks very similar to the shape outline of Horizons.

4ce5d9c9ba39def6601266174f761390.jpg

Horizons is coming back!

BTW Plug for @marni1971 newest ultimate tribute video to Horizons. Over 1 hour of fantastic historic footage and recordings.

http://www.martinsvids.net
Eager to see his Imagination tribute video coming this Fall.

HMF

CONFIRMED: TRON Lightcycle Power Run Rollercoaster to Replace Tomorrowland Speedway at the Magic Kingdom
In October of 2016, we told you that Walt Disney World was eyeing the addition of the popular TRON Lightcycle Power Run attraction from Shanghai Disneyland, and in April 2017 we updated our rumor when preliminary budgeting teams from Florida were sent out to Shanghai to take a look at the attraction. Well, with the D23 Expo just days away, it now seems certain that the attraction will be announced on Saturday, July 15th.TRON Lightcycle Power Run will open at the Magic Kingdom just before the park’s 50th birthday (probably 2020/21), replacing the Tomorrowland Speedway attraction which opened in 1971 as the Grand Prix Raceway. The Speedway will likely close sometime in 2018 to make way for this construction.
Source: Walt Disney World News Today!
I would check the sources credibility.

andysol

After seeing that map- my first thought?

"Finally! The perfect ride to soak up capacity while they finally redo Space Mountain!"
While I'm excited about both- I'm way more excited for Space Mountain to get the love it deserves vs Tron Coaster.

This is a great day! Here's hoping Saturday doesn't shoot it all down. :D

horatiog

"Finally! The perfect ride to soak up capacity while they finally redo Space Mountain!"
While I'm excited about both- I'm way more excited for Space Mountain to get the love it deserves vs Tron Coaster.

My first thought was, "Now I can stop having a panic attack because Space Mountain is safe."

But I certainly agree with you. Space is a classic, and it should be treated as such.

clemmo

Wait is SM finally getting a good refurb? Did I miss that part?

Jbres_

This is good news! This means that Disney is willing to expand into that highly unused land behind Storybook Circus and Tomorrowland. I was just saying the other day how it was stupid of them not to use the space they have there. Here's to hoping more will be coming to Tomorrowland in the future!

wishiwere@wdw

So far as I know this doesn't affect Space Mountain.

But of course I could have this all wrong.
For whatever it's worth, I've had it on fairly good authority that Space Mountain would be down for a very long rehab in a few years. It puzzled me a bit as the timing was rather close tho the 50th. Now it makes more sense :).

And as always, thank you for your contributions!

andysol

Wait is SM finally getting a good refurb? Did I miss that part?
Sorry if it sounded that way- No, it didn't get mentioned- I know, this thread is moving fast :)

I was just stating that with the added capacity Tron would give that area of the park- that WDW could afford to take down SM for a prolonged time without feeling a ton of impact.

That said, I could see it closing down at the same time as the speedway- similar to New Fantasyland- and just redo the entire area all at once. I might even prefer it that way. Rip the bandaid off, so to speak- I don't know who can physically ride SM in its current state without a chiropractor on call :D

clemmo

Sorry if it sounded that way- No, it didn't get mentioned- I know, this thread is moving fast :)

I was just stating that with the added capacity Tron would give that area of the park- that WDW could afford to take down SM for a prolonged time without feeling a ton of impact.
I would hope/think this would be one of the things building up to the 50th. Also anyone know timing on the Tron project?

Buried20KLeague

I have friends who helped build Tron and also friends who helped open Tron. Both, who don't know each other, gave me the same reason as to why part of Tron is outside. I'm inclined to believe them.

So construction and front line cast.

We know how reliable they are.

If tron gets built, it will have an outdoor portion.

brb1006

That said, I could see it closing down at the same time as the speedway- similar to New Fantasyland- and just redo the entire area all at once. I might even prefer it that way. Rip the bandaid off, so to speak- I don't know who can physically ride SM in its current state without a chiropractor on call :D
These threads are going to move much faster as we get closer to D23.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom