Replace WoL with updated Horizons sponsored by Microsoft

Yankeeplex

Original Poster
I don't normally get sentimental about too many things, but after going on YouTube and seeing a complete ride on Horizons, Disney has to do something like this again. The reason Horizons was shut down, in the first place, was due mainly to the lack of sponsorship. What better way to show tomorrow's technology than to bring aboard Microsoft or an Oracle, or even an Intel and let them showcase what they can do for the future of our world. It just makes too much sense...and they have a pavilion that is just waiting to be torn down and replaced.

tdonald

Though I wish I could ride Horizons again, I DEFINITELY don't think it should be rebuilt, but it think it would be great if a different and new ride of similar themes was built.

Fun2BFree

Horizons was a barren wasteland devoid of sentient life in its final years. SSE 2.0 is "the New Horizons" in a manner of speaking, more about progress and the future than its former theme of communication.

As inspirational and loved as Horizons was, it isn't coming back- a resurrection is now merely a fanboy's wet dream. :shrug:

sknydave

Why in the world would they tear down test track? Build it where the Wonders of Life is (the pavillion time forgot)

Yankeeplex

Original Poster
I don't want a retread, like I had mentioned earlier. What I do want is to have one of these technologically based companies to sponsor another horizons like ride, but using today's technology and future prospects. Think about how these companies would love to brag about how advanced they are and how they are going to change the world with their ideas. It seems like a no brainer.

LorangeJuice

Your idea gets my vote! Epcot needs the theme, presented in a modern light. What will the family of the future's life be like? I couldn't begin to tell you how inspirational Horizons was to me. The Omnimax loop was a perfect sampling of the upcoming technology without too many boring details that would turn most people off (when it wasn't dated, of course). Seeing the family at the end made it so real and identifiable. I think Epcot needs a pavilion that returns to the storytelling aspect that I just don't see in the other pavilions. I mean SE is good, but goes way too much into the past. The future isn't really presented until the end (let's not get into that debate) and the post-show. SE is very inspirational as far as provoking the thought of "look how far we've come in terms of communication," but Horizons convinced me that we were really going somewhere with the way the story goes from past visions of the future to the Omnimax and concluding with the family aspect. I would leave excited from the time I first rode when I was 5 to when it closed and I had just started to study engineering. It got me excited about making things for a better future.

rwa2204

Anyone other than M$ should sponsor the ride. I don't want my ride vehicle and AAs to have the blue screen of death running on an Windows Server. Thanks but no thanks!

hpyhnt 1000

Horizons was a barren wasteland devoid of sentient life in its final years. SSE 2.0 is "the New Horizons" in a manner of speaking, more about progress and the future than its former theme of communication.

As inspirational and loved as Horizons was, it isn't coming back- a resurrection is now merely a fanboy's wet dream. :shrug:

Well said. As great as I am sure Horizons was (I never got the chance to ride it), it isn't coming back. I wish SSE '94 was still here, but at the same time, change and progress must come, and I accept the current version (in fact, its growing on me a bit). Epcot is meant to change, and attractions must and will lead that change. To me, rebuilding a former attraction, even if it is "updated" is not progress or change.

EpcoTim

I wish they'd make a new Horizons. I also wish they'd tear down Test Track and rebuild World of Motion....

+1

But I would like to see them maybe combine the two or add one alongside the other, Test Track and World of Motion that is. Maybe add a history of racing, where the cars actually race in an F1 race or they run a historic race like the first Chicago race. Then as they enter the modern age of cars, they show how they are produced and tested and all that.

well considering the pixar/mac connection, microsoft wouldnt make much sense to me.

i mean plus, everyone knows that apple is the way to go. (i guess im one of those obnoxious mac users that thinks im hipper than microsoft users.)

Legacy

Replace WoL with a Weather Pavilion and the StormRider attaction from TDS.

well considering the pixar/mac connection, microsoft wouldnt make much sense to me.

i mean plus, everyone knows that apple is the way to go. (i guess im one of those obnoxious mac users that thinks im hipper than microsoft users.)

Yes. Yes, it does.

raven

Better yet, move COP to EPCOT and put it in the pre or postshow area for Horizons as a true memorial to both Walt and the future of progress!

hpyhnt 1000

Oh, you're one of THOSE people. :fork: :p

:lol:

The only reason it was mentioned is because Microsoft sponsors Innoventions over at Disneyland, and I believe SSE uses a Windows XP operating system for the touchscreens. So Microsoft is already in the parks.

hpyhnt 1000

Better yet, move COP to EPCOT and put it in the pre or postshow area for Horizons as a true memorial to both Walt and the future of progress!

I would welcome CoP coming to Epcot (it makes more sense to put it in Epcot when you think about it), especially if it meant something new for Tomorrowland.

tdonald

Well said. As great as I am sure Horizons was (I never got the chance to ride it), it isn't coming back. I wish SSE '94 was still here, but at the same time, change and progress must come, and I accept the current version (in fact, its growing on me a bit). Epcot is meant to change, and attractions must and will lead that change. To me, rebuilding a former attraction, even if it is "updated" is not progress or change.

I agree with you completely.

And magic cait ball, I too am one of those obnoxious Mac users.

KeithVH

Oh, you're one of THOSE people.
The only reason it was mentioned is because Microsoft sponsors Innoventions over at Disneyland, and I believe SSE uses a Windows XP operating system for the touchscreens. So Microsoft is already in the parks.

Does that mean, by chance, there is a corporate lounge area for MS in Innoventions at DL?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom