Reopening Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

castleparker

How much is "way above"?
An article by the CDC from October put out four months ago, before the biggest surge of Covid deaths, then already logged nearly 300,000 excess deaths. The official Covid death toll was less than that number at the time. I have trouble posting links on here because they take forever to be approved, but I will post a link in a separate post after this one.

Tamandua

Well. "All 500,000 those people were going to die soon anyway because they were old or weak humans, actually so it's totally cool really" is definitely a take.
Everyone dies. And quality of life matters. Quality of life for everyone has been sacrificed during the last year. Suicides and depression have spiked dramatically. People have lost their jobs and their businesses. 0.156% of the population has died from or with covid, supposedly, but everyone has suffered from quality of life decline.

Tamandua

An article by the CDC from October put out four months ago, before the biggest surge of Covid deaths, then already logged nearly 300,000 excess deaths. The official Covid death toll was less than that number at the time. I have trouble posting links on here because they take forever to be approved, but I will post a link in a separate post after this one.
I wonder how many of those were suicides caused by covid restrictions.

PiratesMansion

Everyone dies. And quality of life matters. Quality of life for everyone has been sacrificed during the last year. Suicides and depression have spiked dramatically. People have lost their jobs and their businesses. 0.156% of the population has died from or with covid, supposedly, but everyone has suffered from quality of life decline.
Soooooo, again, you're totally fine with any deaths as long as you get in your Disney fix or whatever you desire at any given moment. Got it.

castleparker

Yeah. Just go ahead and ignore everything I said and put words in my mouth. These are the kinds of things people say when faced with inconvenient facts that they can't dispute.
Ok, please speak for yourself then and dispel those words then. How is the irrefutable fact that 300,000 excess people,(probably around 500,000+ now) who died of covid were not worth shutting down then? Do you think any virus mitigation should have been taken? Because on the surface level then, it does seem quite callus, but I'm curious to hear your take on this.

TP2000

Newsom should be proud. He's joining a very, very exclusive club. Only a few gubernatorial recall efforts have ever made it to the ballot in our nation's history. You have to really, really **** people off to make it this far.

Yeah. It's not easy to do, especially during a pandemic. But it seems headed to a Recall Election later this year now.

To be sure, I really don't think Newsom will get recalled. I think he will keep his job amongst a crowded field of D's and R's looking to replace him in the Recall. There is no Arnold Schwarzenegger this time to generate buzz and excitement.

I just hope Newsom's national political ambitions are snuffed out by this, which they likely will be. Which is why I signed the petition.

I've said it before, but that French Laundry dinner pushed this Recall over the edge and has really become Newsom's Chappaquiddick. Except instead of a dead blonde in a sunken Oldsmobile, Newsom had a $300 pasta course upgrade to a $1200 dinner. I hope the upgraded pasta course was good! :cool:

mharrington

I completely disagree with the assessment that Newsom has an "uncaring attitude". Just because someone may disagree with how he handled the pandemic doesn't mean he was "uncaring".

Well, on the other hand, he has not given any indication about changing his tune on the way things are right now. I may have said this before, but I don't believe we even know where Dr. Ghaly is in this regard. He seems to have gone AWOL.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well, on the other hand, he has not given any indication about changing his tune on the way things are right now. I may have said this before, but I don't believe we even know where Dr. Ghaly is in this regard. He seems to have gone AWOL.
Just remember that everyday is a new day. So things might not be different right this very second, but they doesn't mean they won't be different in the near future.

Also Dr Ghaly is not AWOL he has a press conference weekly. next one is tomorrow. And he is usually on-hand to answer any questions related to state health matters during Newom's press conferences throughout the week.

And lastly it looks like schools could be one of the first things to reopen outside the tier system. As Newsom announced today dedicating 10% of the vaccine supply just for teachers and school staff in order to get school reopened faster. So the first domino just fell for the potential removal or replacement of the tier system. So there is your indication of "Newsom changing his tune".

mharrington

Just remember that everyday is a new day. So things might not be different right this very second, but they doesn't mean they won't be different in the near future.

Also Dr Ghaly is not AWOL he has a press conference weekly. next one is tomorrow. And he is usually on-hand to answer any questions related to state health matters during Newom's press conferences throughout the week.

And lastly it looks like schools could be one of the first things to reopen outside the tier system. As Newsom announced today dedicating 10% of the vaccine supply just for teachers and school staff in order to get school reopened faster. So the first domino just fell for the potential removal or replacement of the tier system. So there is your indication of "Newsom changing his tune".

The obvious difference between schools and theme parks, arguably, is that schools are arguably essential while parks are not.

Disstevefan1

You could say the same thing about most political figures throughout history. There will always be opposing views that "they" sit up in their gilded cage while the peasants down below suffer. It literally is a tale as old as time. However that doesn't mean that "label" is true of this situation.

Newsom has been damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he literally opened up everything and people started getting sick and die everyone would be blaming him for not doing enough to protect people. If he closes things down and slowly opens it back up people claim he's not doing it fast enough. If he closes X business then that group would be unhappy, if he opens Y business then another group is unhappy. Point is I don't envy the man for trying to direct this ship during this pandemic, its a thankless job. California is the largest state in the union, one with 40 million different opinions on how things should be run. And it appears opinions from others outside the state on how it should be run.

And I'm sorry but there has been no perfect solution during this pandemic in this country, from either side of the aisle. Each have had their successes and failures.
I agree, there is no perfect solution. You talked about opening up everything. That’s the other extreme. DLR for example, could have been opened many moths ago using the proven, safe procedures WDW is using.

it feels like to me, Newsom does not care about DLR workers or businesses surrounding DLR.

mharrington

You ask for an indication that Newsom and his team is willing to change their stance on things and I provide it.

Okay, that's fine. But just because he may change his stance on some things, does not mean that he will change his stance on everything.

If what some have said here is an indication, it would seem to me that not everything will reopen, even in part, as long as Newsom is around; hence, my support for the recall.

Also, I believe that Dr. Fauci wants to keep schools closed.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

How was it proven safe? How many people visiting Walt Disney World got sick? Where can I read these numbers?
Good one. I think those numbers are in the same place as the numbers that prove the procedures are not working and WDW caused a COVID outbreak.

Seriously, if there was an outbreak that could possibly traced to WDW, the mainstream media WOULD JUMP ON IT and happily report it!!!

el_super

Good one. I think those numbers are in the same place as the numbers that prove the procedures are not working and WDW caused a COVID outbreak.

Seriously, if there was an outbreak that could possibly traced to WDW, the mainstream media WOULD JUMP ON IT and happily report it!!!

Absence of proof is not proof of absence. Outbreaks would be hard to detect if they are spread out across the country, and around areas that don't have adequate contact tracing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom