Reopening Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

Not really. What is up is the wind advisory on political winds blowing in Sacramento.

The Anaheim Supersite has been closed since last Thursday, and won't reopen until Tuesday. I took this photo early today, thanks to the horribly cold winter the rest of North America is having...

View attachment 534283

As for the broader California vaccinations, here's how we fare as of February 21st compared to that other state that has allowed that other Disneyland to operate daily for the last seven months...

California = 18.86 Doses Per 100 Californians, 13.7% Population Given 1 Shot, 5.0% Population Given 2 Shots
Florida = 20.43 Doses Per 100 Floridians, 13.4% Population Given 1 Shot, 6.9% Population Given 2 Shots

CA will soon surpass FL. And I would expect it to stay ahead after that. Californians want vaccine at higher rates than Floridians, on the whole.

ToTBellHop

Agreed. Two things should happen; DLR reopened following the proven procedures used in WDW and Newsom OUT.
Eh...Newsom probably survives this if he continues a more optimistic tone moving forward and reopens things in the next 6 months. I imagine, long-term, people will be rather forgiving of Covid responses that were genuinely meant to save lives (and I do think that was Newsom’s goal, I just think he was too heavy-handed).

el_super

Eh...Newsom probably survives this if he continues a more optimistic tone moving forward and reopens things in the next 6 months.

Seems important to remember that the precipitous drop in his approval rating came after he lifted the stay at home orders and pushed to reopen schools. Teachers may be signaling their dissatisfaction with his reopening plans, but that doesnt mean they will jump on the recall bandwagon.

GimpYancIent

Seems important to remember that the precipitous drop in his approval rating came after he lifted the stay at home orders and pushed to reopen schools. Teachers may be signaling their dissatisfaction with his reopening plans, but that doesnt mean they will jump on the recall bandwagon.
It is interesting to see how much of the herd will blindly follow being directed off a cliff before the remainder realize what the leaders have done and follow new leaders in a different direction.

el_super

It is interesting to see how much of the herd will blindly follow being directed off a cliff before the remainder realize what the leaders have done and follow new leaders in a different direction.

Oh I agree! Trying to reopen so quickly in a pandemic is a akin to being directed off a cliff.

Which is also part of the reason Disneyland and Universal can't just fling open their gates and reopen. With so many people in LA and Orange County still in favor of restrictions, they would face a sizable backlash if they decided to violate public health orders. Bigger than even removing the AP program.

Disstevefan1

Just curious, do you live in California?
No. Nor do I plan on visiting CA and I have never been to DLR and probably never will. My concern is for the all the workers directly and indirectly affected by the delay in reopening of DLR; DLR and the businesses surrounding DLR especially when we have known, effective, safe procedures for reopening.

I guess there is no problem for government officials to keep things closed since they are already millionaires and the shutdowns do not harm them in the least.

Just my opinion, just venting actually since my opinion is admittedly irrelevant....

Th3 DUd3

I went to DTD last Friday and I am a bit conflicted. I felt the following:

1. No desire to buy any merchandise. Everything just looked so cheap now (quality, designs) and the fact that they don't really try to offer anything desirable to men past a Star Wars store with niche items just made me keep the wallet in my pocket. I also believe my perspective has changed, there is no FOMO and my MickeyVision glasses just don't refract the magic as it once did.

2. No desire to buy any food. Granted that I never really ate at the resort past a rare urge for a corn dog, food festival, splurge at Napa/Carthay I don't find anything that WOW's me for me to justify the purchase. To be transparent, I do consider myself a bit of a food snob and when you have been fortunate to find places that serve amazing things, its hard to appreciate anything else. (Note: Price/Name Brand have no bearing on this as good food is good food no matter if its a simple street vendor or a AAA 5 Diamond restaurant).

3. People, People, People. I am still appalled that no one still cares that now over 500,000 people have died in this country and we STILL can't personally simply do even the basic things to care about the safety of others to keep each other safe. I blame all of this on one simple word, selfishness. We as a country seem to only care when it affects us personally and not at any other time.

4. Lastly, I think I have personally changed since the start of all this. My perspectives have changed, the way I see other people has changed, the way I see businesses/governments has changed and how I view myself has changed. To quote WandaVision "The worst thing I can think of has already happened to me and I can't change it. I can't undo it. I can't control this pain anymore. And I don't think I want to, because it's my truth."

It's a personal ramble that I think not many feel, but it's what I feel. You don't need to feel the desire to respond, change my mind or argue your point as your journey is your own and mine will be mine.

Be safe, respect others and leave the light on Disney. I may come back one day.

Disstevefan1

I went to DTD last Friday and I am a bit conflicted. I felt the following:

1. No desire to buy any merchandise. Everything just looked so cheap now (quality, designs) and the fact that they don't really try to offer anything desirable to men past a Star Wars store with niche items just made me keep the wallet in my pocket. I also believe my perspective has changed, there is no FOMO and my MickeyVision glasses just don't refract the magic as it once did.

2. No desire to buy any food. Granted that I never really ate at the resort past a rare urge for a corn dog, food festival, splurge at Napa/Carthay I don't find anything that WOW's me for me to justify the purchase. To be transparent, I do consider myself a bit of a food snob and when you have been fortunate to find places that serve amazing things, its hard to appreciate anything else. (Note: Price/Name Brand have no bearing on this as good food is good food no matter if its a simple street vendor or a AAA 5 Diamond restaurant).

3. People, People, People. I am still appalled that no one still cares that now over 500,000 people have died in this country and we STILL can't personally simply do even the basic things to care about the safety of others to keep each other safe. I blame all of this on one simple word, selfishness. We as a country seem to only care when it affects us personally and not at any other time.

4. Lastly, I think I have personally changed since the start of all this. My perspectives have changed, the way I see other people has changed, the way I see businesses/governments has changed and how I view myself has changed. To quote WandaVision "The worst thing I can think of has already happened to me and I can't change it. I can't undo it. I can't control this pain anymore. And I don't think I want to, because it's my truth."

It's a personal ramble that I think not many feel, but it's what I feel. You don't need to feel the desire to respond, change my mind or argue your point as your journey is your own and mine will be mine.

Be safe, respect others and leave the light on Disney. I may come back one day.
When you quoted Wanda Vision, it dawned on me, YOU ARE the future customer of The Walt Disney Company; a Disney+ subscriber with little or no interest in the Disney resorts or parks. Nothing wrong with that, I am just noticing that TWDC has announced its shifting away from parks and resorts and toward streaming is inline with your view, so TWDC basically knew about this trend already.

Californian Elitist

No. Nor do I plan on visiting CA and I have never been to DLR and probably never will. My concern is for the all the workers directly and indirectly affected by the delay in reopening of DLR; DLR and the businesses surrounding DLR especially when we have known, effective, safe procedures for reopening.

I guess there is no problem for government officials to keep things closed since they are already millionaires and the shutdowns do not harm them in the least.

Just my opinion, just venting actually since my opinion is admittedly irrelevant....
So you’ve never lived here, don’t even want to visit the state, but you want our governor gone?

Are you only concerned for DLR CMs because they work for Disney? Why the concern if you have no plans to visit the parks?

BuzzedPotatoHead89

When you quoted Wanda Vision, it dawned on me, YOU ARE the future customer of The Walt Disney Company; a Disney+ subscriber with little or no interest in the Disney resorts or parks. Nothing wrong with that, I am just noticing that TWDC has announced its shifting away from parks and resorts and toward streaming is inline with your view, so TWDC basically knew about this trend already.
Which is exactly why I predict anything in the parks that doesn’t support the symbiotic relationship that is the “parks to plus” pipeline is on its way to the yesterland graveyard.

“It’s called synergy” to quote the queue of the Incredicoaster. Everything is about supporting Disney+ from here on out. It’s an intended paradigm shift.

el_super

“It’s called synergy” to quote the queue of the Incredicoaster. Everything is about supporting Disney+ from here on out. It’s an intended paradigm shift.

I don't think it's quite that... Afterall Churros and Dole Whips don't really support Disney+, but they will absolutely (and literally) be sticking around.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I don't think it's quite that... Afterall Churros and Dole Whips don't really support Disney+, but they will absolutely (and literally) be sticking around.
You never know, they could make an appearance in a future Mickey Mouse short or a new extended universe about Disney snacks coming to life. 😉

To be clear, it’s not a bad business strategy to make the parks projects pipeline more “current” to what the public is seeing on D+, and even something Walt himself likely would have supported it.

I mean WWoD was often a springboard for sharing park projects. Davy Crockett/Zorro in Frontierland, the True Life Adventures program, etc. The key is maintaining some semblance of nostalgia as part of the mix.

Disstevefan1

Why then are at least a few people concerned about the reopening being a modified experience?

Which is another reason why I have to believe that A) the bill won't be reaching his desk for a long time (if at all), B) when/if it does, he won't sign off on it, because C) he wants to make himself look good and make it seem like he's doing this for the good of the state to stop the virus once and for all. I'm not even sure if he does care about reopening everything, even in part, before the virus is totally eradicated (which, as we know, will probably never happen). I have to believe he will be recalled before the parks (any parks, Disney or not) reopen (if he does get recalled).
Agreed, Newsom does not care about reopening anything. He is living just fine in his mansion. Let’s hope the recall happens, it’s only fair he loses his job too.

mharrington

Agreed, Newsom does not care about reopening anything. He is living just fine in his mansion. Let’s hope the recall happens, it’s only fair he loses his job too.

Unfortunately, it remains to be seen if he will be recalled.

Once again, @Disney Irish, can you weigh in on Newsom's alleged deliberately uncaring attitude? Also, can you weigh in on whether Disney will abandon its parks in favor of Disney Plus?

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Once again, @Disney Irish, can you weigh in on Newsom's alleged deliberately uncaring attitude? Also, can you weigh in on whether Disney will abandon its parks in favor of Disney Plus?
I completely disagree with the assessment that Newsom has an "uncaring attitude". Just because someone may disagree with how he handled the pandemic doesn't mean he was "uncaring".

Also Disney is NOT abandoning the Parks. They may be switching focus of the company to have Disney+ be a driver of future revenue. But that doesn't mean Disney is completely abandoning its theme parks division.

Californian Elitist

You’re listening to someone who doesn’t even live in California and has probably never ever visited either.

Where did you get the idea that Disney will “abandon” their parks for Disney+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom