Rent a Deluxe Disney Vacation Club Villa without being a DVC member

nickys

Premium Member
Anyone know anything about the rental site DVC guru? I had posted I was looking for a studio for a few nights in late sept on their board and others and someone reached out and said they had those dates already reserved at BLT they were willing to rent at $17 a point, which lines up w the cost of a lake view there for those dates.

I would rather go through either david’s Or dvc rental store, but haven’t gotten any bites yet. I’m already reserved at POFQ for a shade over $200 a night before tax. Any advice from the group out there? Thanks!

What do you mean you haven’t got any bites from the brokers? How long ago did you request, for what resort and when? How far ahead did you request? And what did they tell you?

I assume they just don’t have the owner with the right points to book yet (if there was no availability they would have told you), therefore you are within the home resort priority booking period. If that is correct, then you have to be patient. However, you should keep in mind that demand outstrips supply, there are more people wanting to rent than there are owners with points and wanting to rent them out.

GabeP

Well, what I meant was that neither David’s nor dvc rental store had anything matching for the dates I wanted. Only a member from dvc guru reached out to me after I posted on disboards

nickys

Premium Member
Well, what I meant was that neither David’s nor dvc rental store had anything matching for the dates I wanted. Only a member from dvc guru reached out to me after I posted on disboards

So if they said they didn’t have anything for the dates you wanted, but didn’t ask you to select another resort, then they just don’t have the owner with the right points. It isn’t an availability issue, yet.

But without knowing more, no one can give you more advice. If you tell us your dates and where, and how long ago they responded, we can advise to some extent, what your chances are through the two main brokers.

A broker gives you peace of mind. In extreme circumstances (such as an owner falling behind with dues) leading to DVC cancelling the reservation, you would get your money back. They do the due diligence on an owner for you.

What I find interesting about the DVC Guru website are two major things, and something else which worries me.
First - there is nowhere for owners to contact them if they have points to rent out! So how do they actually get owners onto their books? Secondly, there is no info about DVC. The major brokers have information on the resorts, how renting works etc. DVCGuru only have what’s in the contract.

And now for the worrying thing. In the contract it says the renter can transfer the contract to someone else and the owner will help them change the names etc. But it also says the renter is free to sell the reservation if they can’t use it. That could violate DVC rules. Not necessarily, but given there’s no details about it, as an owner I would be very wary of using a broker that allows that. It may be they have safeguards in place, presumably they would arrange for a new contract etc. But that’s putting an onus on the owner to do a lot of extra work, seemingly without prior consultation.

I know new brokers have to start somewhere, but I see no references from owners or renters, and as I said, no way for owners to contact them, no contract for owners with them etc. I would be very wary, as an owner, for these reasons.

correcaminos

So if they said they didn’t have anything for the dates you wanted, but didn’t ask you to select another resort, then they just don’t have the owner with the right points. It isn’t an availability issue, yet.

But without knowing more, no one can give you more advice. If you tell us your dates and where, and how long ago they responded, we can advise to some extent, what your chances are through the two main brokers.

A broker gives you peace of mind. In extreme circumstances (such as an owner falling behind with dues) leading to DVC cancelling the reservation, you would get your money back. They do the due diligence on an owner for you.

What I find interesting about the DVC Guru website are two major things, and something else which worries me.
First - there is nowhere for owners to contact them if they have points to rent out! So how do they actually get owners onto their books? Secondly, there is no info about DVC. The major brokers have information on the resorts, how renting works etc. DVCGuru only have what’s in the contract.

And now for the worrying thing. In the contract it says the renter can transfer the contract to someone else and the owner will help them change the names etc. But it also says the renter is free to sell the reservation if they can’t use it. That could violate DVC rules. Not necessarily, but given there’s no details about it, as an owner I would be very wary of using a broker that allows that. It may be they have safeguards in place, presumably they would arrange for a new contract etc. But that’s putting an onus on the owner to do a lot of extra work, seemingly without prior consultation.

I know new brokers have to start somewhere, but I see no references from owners or renters, and as I said, no way for owners to contact them, no contract for owners with them etc. I would be very wary, as an owner, for these reasons.
I am pretty sure it's an availability issue at this point. I found the reservation on DVC guru and found the dates and at 2 months out there are no studios available elsewhere.

So @GabeP would need a confirmed reservation.

I'm not sure I see the issue with the contract. Members are under contract and the Renter portion is only in case they cannot use the reservation. "Renter agrees and acknowledges that once the reservation is made, the resort, dates and size of the room cannot be changed!! Renter also acknowledges and agrees that there are no refunds or cancellation once the reservation number is issued. Renter may chose to try and transfer or assign this reservation to a 3rd party, in which case the Member will assist the renter in this regard. "

I don't think that's an issue.

That aside I know nothing else about DVC Guru. My opinion is that if an owner contacts you through another site, that they shouldn't direct you to a 2nd site to rent, though they likely just want the security of a broker.

nickys

Premium Member
I am pretty sure it's an availability issue at this point. I found the reservation on DVC guru and found the dates and at 2 months out there are no studios available elsewhere.

So @GabeP would need a confirmed reservation.

I'm not sure I see the issue with the contract. Members are under contract and the Renter portion is only in case they cannot use the reservation. "Renter agrees and acknowledges that once the reservation is made, the resort, dates and size of the room cannot be changed!! Renter also acknowledges and agrees that there are no refunds or cancellation once the reservation number is issued. Renter may chose to try and transfer or assign this reservation to a 3rd party, in which case the Member will assist the renter in this regard. "

I don't think that's an issue.

That aside I know nothing else about DVC Guru. My opinion is that if an owner contacts you through another site, that they shouldn't direct you to a 2nd site to rent, though they likely just want the security of a broker.

There are now 3 different issues involved!

As regards the actual reservation, fair enough. I was gong on what little @GabeP had told us.

As for the contract, it’s that last sentence which seems off to me. The renter can choose to try and reassign it and the Member will assist them. That seems to compel the Member to do extra work. Plus it specifically states that the renter may choose to sell the reservation if they cannot use it. That would mean that the Member would have no choice but to accept a new contract with the new renter. And the renter could technically even end up making a profit off it! This could turn into a quagmire very quickly. A broker is supposed to minimise the work needed to rent out your points.

I agree about the way in which DVCGuru appears to have contacted @GabeP. Pretty sure that’s against DIS rules, although I’m not a member so not 100% sure.

correcaminos

There are now 3 different issues involved!

As regards the actual reservation, fair enough. I was gong on what little @GabeP had told us.

As for the contract, it’s that last sentence which seems off to me. The renter can choose to try and reassign it and the Member will assist them. That seems to compel the Member to do extra work. Plus it specifically states that the renter may choose to sell the reservation if they cannot use it. That would mean that the Member would have no choice but to accept a new contract with the new renter. And the renter could technically even end up making a profit off it! This could turn into a quagmire very quickly. A broker is supposed to minimise the work needed to rent out your points.

I agree about the way in which DVCGuru appears to have contacted @GabeP. Pretty sure that’s against DIS rules, although I’m not a member so not 100% sure.

But the Member is the one who makes changes, not the renter. So you cannot force that no matter what. Again I'm not reading it the way you are anyway. Wording can be vague though, so maybe they need to clean that up.

I cannot speak for DIS rules. I'm technically a member there but broke ties with them about a decade ago for a few reasons.

GabeP

thanks all. at present, ive decided to pass on the rental. too much risk in my mind, even though the owner did send me some references. All i was told at the outset was that he had a confirmed lake view studio at the BLT for 9/23-26 and was looking to rent for a cost equiv to the amount of points it was costing him. I do prefer the security of a rental broker, since I know going in that everything is on the up and up. If this particular owner still is looking to rent these points in a few weeks at a lower cost, I'd be sure and check everything out first.

Outside of David's and the DVC Rental Store, sites like DVC Guru and DVC Cap don't give me the same sort of security, given their bare bones makeup.

correcaminos

thanks all. at present, ive decided to pass on the rental. too much risk in my mind, even though the owner did send me some references. All i was told at the outset was that he had a confirmed lake view studio at the BLT for 9/23-26 and was looking to rent for a cost equiv to the amount of points it was costing him. I do prefer the security of a rental broker, since I know going in that everything is on the up and up. If this particular owner still is looking to rent these points in a few weeks at a lower cost, I'd be sure and check everything out first.

Outside of David's and the DVC Rental Store, sites like DVC Guru and DVC Cap don't give me the same sort of security, given their bare bones makeup.

Sounds like a smart move! I hope you do eventually get the room that you want :)

NRL2003

Thought I would share my recent experience with securing a rental reservation. I put in a request for BCV with David's at the end of October. My dates are 8/28/19-9/7/19. These dates do overlap with the opening of F&W (assuming similar dates next year). Fingers crossed as I do love BC. It only took a couple of weeks until I got a confirmed reservation. It was very easy to pay (had to pay initial deposit at the time of the request and balance at time of reservation) and for me to assign the reservation # to MDE. Already selected my magic band color. Just waiting for 180 and 60 days to roll around to make by ADR's and FP's.

mtolch

Hi everyone! I am new to this message board and currently dreaming up my family's first trip to Disney. I've been researching and decided that renting points from a dvc member is the way we want to go, and I have looked at the recommended broker sites. Is this the place to look for independent owners that I could possibly work with privately to save money? We won't be going until Jan 2020 and the dates are flexible, I know I won't be able to book until Feb 2019 (If I understand things correctly..) but is it possible to find a "person" before that? Would love any help I can get in this process! Thanks! (Would be looking for 2 studio's for myself and my parents)

correcaminos

Hi everyone! I am new to this message board and currently dreaming up my family's first trip to Disney. I've been researching and decided that renting points from a dvc member is the way we want to go, and I have looked at the recommended broker sites. Is this the place to look for independent owners that I could possibly work with privately to save money? We won't be going until Jan 2020 and the dates are flexible, I know I won't be able to book until Feb 2019 (If I understand things correctly..) but is it possible to find a "person" before that? Would love any help I can get in this process! Thanks! (Would be looking for 2 studio's for myself and my parents)

There are forums that offer this. One I go to is mouseowners.com I wouldn't try more than a few weeks to a month early, but you can go there and request a specific reservation and have it set up prior to 11 months. It's also an invaluable source of information. So many long time users there that can help.

darrelljon

How do I book direct through Disney a DVC property, rather than renting points from members or through a broker when I am not a DVC member myself?

nickys

Premium Member
How do I book direct through Disney a DVC property, rather than renting points from members or through a broker when I am not a DVC member myself?

Just as you would any other resort. There will be limited availability, and the prices are steep (astronomical even). But you can d9 it online or by phone.

If you’re online, look at the Deluxe Villa Resorts - they’re the DVC resorts.

mf1972

probably a dumb question, so here we go. i’m looking into renting dvc points for october 2020 for our 20th anniversary. i’m assuming renting the points goes towards the room only. i’ll have to get theme park tickets & link it to the reservation. and if i choose to add dining, i’d have to contact the broker who contacts the owner to put it in our names, correct?
sorry if this has been asked before. i’m just researching it now, so i’m a newbie when it comes to renting dvc. thanks.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
probably a dumb question, so here we go. i’m looking into renting dvc points for october 2020 for our 20th anniversary. i’m assuming renting the points goes towards the room only. i’ll have to get theme park tickets & link it to the reservation. and if i choose to add dining, i’d have to contact the broker who contacts the owner to put it in our names, correct?
sorry if this has been asked before. i’m just researching it now, so i’m a newbie when it comes to renting dvc. thanks.
You are correct on all counts. Renting is for the room only. You have to buy theme park tickets yourself. And yes, if you opt for a dining plan, the owner will need to add it for you, but I highly recommend against the dining plan. It is almost always a much better idea to put the money you would have spent for the dining plan onto a Disney gift card, and use it for payments. You can buy them at different places for an automatic discount - like Target using Redcard or Costco! That way, you won't feel like you need to eat steak at every meal just to break even, and you can eat like you want. My DW and I even split meals since it is so much food, and you can't do that on a dining plan. Saves us a bunch of money.

correcaminos

You are correct on all counts. Renting is for the room only. You have to buy theme park tickets yourself. And yes, if you opt for a dining plan, the owner will need to add it for you, but I highly recommend against the dining plan. It is almost always a much better idea to put the money you would have spent for the dining plan onto a Disney gift card, and use it for payments. You can buy them at different places for an automatic discount - like Target using Redcard or Costco! That way, you won't feel like you need to eat steak at every meal just to break even, and you can eat like you want. My DW and I even split meals since it is so much food, and you can't do that on a dining plan. Saves us a bunch of money.
So agree with this!

Though we don't do gift cards (our Costco does not carry them - I think Sams Club does) it's a very good idea and likely will save you money :)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So agree with this!

Though we don't do gift cards (our Costco does not carry them - I think Sams Club does) it's a very good idea and likely will save you money :)
We've only gotten them at Target with the 5% Redcard discount. I had heard that some Costco's have them also, but we don't have a membership there.

correcaminos

We've only gotten them at Target with the 5% Redcard discount. I had heard that some Costco's have them also, but we don't have a membership there.
I don't have a RedCard (don't really ever shop at Target honestly). I'm not sure about Costco any longer. I know they had them (and Universal) but last time we looked in Tampa they weren't there either. Same with tickets so who knows.

Gramma4

Simple. You tell me when and where you want to stay and what kind of room you want. I will check availability, and book the reservation. You pay me via PayPal and I give you the reservation number. Bam. Done!! I have rented to a few wonderful people on here.
do you rent just AK or other resorts ? We haven't decided resort for Feb 2021, its between AK and poly.

Gramma4

has anyone used DVC rental store? and how does this compare to Daves or renting from members themselves? I do know that the DVC rental store offers Cancel for any reason insurance,,,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom