Rent a Deluxe Disney Vacation Club Villa without being a DVC member

cmwade77

Wow! I just had to scan a copy of a bank statement showing my home address and that was it.
Yeah, it took 5 months just to get them to acknowledge there was a problem then another month to fix it.....needless to say I won't use PayPal unless that is my only choice. Not to mention Square charges a smaller fee and allows me to hold a credit card number to charge for damages (it did then, not positive now).

reptar77

DVC Owners... we just listed with David's. Why? DVC denying banking for our 2020 points. David's gives us a REAL option, as opposed to "transfer to RCI" (official WDW line).

David's appears to be fair, solid, and offers us a way to rent out DVC points that WDW will not honor for banking (which appears to be happening to a great many folks). Not a sure thing... but far better than just giving DVC the cash, and walking away crying.
We couldn't bank them forward any further. We used the money from renting them with Davids to help pay our annual dues.

cmwade77

We couldn't bank them forward any further. We used the money from renting them with Davids to help pay our annual dues.
RCI would have worked for us, especially since the exchange fee is still be waived this year. We have used RCI a couple of times and have had amazing places at a very good value points wise. I mean a full week in Times Square in New York for under 200 points and the room was essentially a one bedroom (technically called a studio because there was no door to the bedroom) with a full kitchen. And when I say in Times Square, I mean it was less than a block to Carnegie Hall. Considering a small hotel room the would only fit two with a shared bathroom down the hall was over $2,000 in the same area.

When we went to Silver Dollar City, we were able to stay in a great place that was a 1 bedroom place about a block away and it was less than 40 points for 4 nights.

So just a heads up to people, RCI can provide some great values when you want to travel elsewhere.

Stevek

So trying to follow along. I get that you rent points and it only takes care of the villa/resort reservation. I also get you buy your own tickets and link it to your stay in the villa. How does dining work? Can I make my own dining reservations? I read that if I get a disney dining plan (which isn’t available right now), the owner has to call to add it, but what about individual dining reservations?
How do you link your tickets to your stay in the villa?

Stevek

New to the concept of renting points, hoping some experts here can answer questions.

We are looking to travel 12/1-12/9/2021 and are coming from Southern California. 4 guests, all over 18. Our first and second priority resorts are a Polynesian Studio (standard view) and Boulder Ridge Villas Studio.

1. How far in advance do we need to submit rental request for December timeframe?
2. Are we able to link the park tickets we buy separately to our DVC stay so we can take advantage of perks like Magical Express or any early entry (if offered?)
3. Any issues making dining or fastpass reservations? How far in advance can I make the when renting vs a standard hotel room stay booked via Disney?
4. Any downside or disadvantages to renting vs booking a regular hotel room (like POP) directly with Disney? By downside, I mean are there any perks I lose out on?

Appreciate any help the DVC experts here can provide.

nickys

Premium Member
New to the concept of renting points, hoping some experts here can answer questions.

We are looking to travel 12/1-12/9/2021 and are coming from Southern California. 4 guests, all over 18. Our first and second priority resorts are a Polynesian Studio (standard view) and Boulder Ridge Villas Studio.

1. How far in advance do we need to submit rental request for December timeframe?
2. Are we able to link the park tickets we buy separately to our DVC stay so we can take advantage of perks like Magical Express or any early entry (if offered?)
3. Any issues making dining or fastpass reservations? How far in advance can I make the when renting vs a standard hotel room stay booked via Disney?
4. Any downside or disadvantages to renting vs booking a regular hotel room (like POP) directly with Disney? By downside, I mean are there any perks I lose out on?

Appreciate any help the DVC experts here can provide.
1. 12 months before, so decide soon. Bookings can be made 11 months out, brokers allow you to register early to try and have a renter lined up.
2. you link tickets to your MDE account. And link the DVC reservation to your MDE account.
3. Exactly the same as a hotel room booked through Disney.
4. You lose flexibility. In other words you cannot cancel, change dates, change resorts etc. You must have travel insurance to have any hope of getting your money back. Also you won’t qualify for any discounts that Disney may offer, like “free dining” etc.

Stevek

1. 12 months before, so decide soon. Bookings can be made 11 months out, brokers allow you to register early to try and have a renter lined up.
2. you link tickets to your MDE account. And link the DVC reservation to your MDE account.
3. Exactly the same as a hotel room booked through Disney.
4. You lose flexibility. In other words you cannot cancel, change dates, change resorts etc. You must have travel insurance to have any hope of getting your money back. Also you won’t qualify for any discounts that Disney may offer, like “free dining” etc.
Thanks. So my only other big concern about booking this far in advance is that by December, I have a strong feeling that other resorts (POR for example) will be open an may be more enticing than a DVC room. Just not sure when those will be available.

striker1064

Thanks. So my only other big concern about booking this far in advance is that by December, I have a strong feeling that other resorts (POR for example) will be open an may be more enticing than a DVC room. Just not sure when those will be available.

Gonna be honest, for December 2021 you are already too late. Early December is the most popular DVC time of year for a few reasons, and everything books fast - but studios go the fastest. And to your concern, with renting DVC you lose flexibility. If it's important to you to be able to change to a more personally desirable resort as time gets closer, don't rent points.

Stevek

Gonna be honest, for December 2021 you are already too late. Early December is the most popular DVC time of year for a few reasons, and everything books fast - but studios go the fastest. And to your concern, with renting DVC you lose flexibility. If it's important to you to be able to change to a more personally desirable resort as time gets closer, don't rent points.
Yep, we just found out that there isn't much left beyond Saratoga and Old Key West which we aren't interested in. We'll probably just book a traditional room at this point. Thanks!

correcaminos

I've been looking off and on and also what surprises me is lack of balconies in those D types. I can only look so far with Google and other sites but to me having extra indoor space doesn't make up for zero outdoor.

montyz81

I am looking to rent points for seven adults and two kids. I have put in for an OKW 3 bedroom villa for July 8th or 15th 2023. Can anyone give me a sense of what my chances are? I’m past the 11 month window. David’s says the room is available but there aren’t any points yet available. I told them to hold my deposit until points become available. Do I wait or rent two rooms somewhere else?

nickys

Premium Member
I am looking to rent points for seven adults and two kids. I have put in for an OKW 3 bedroom villa for July 8th or 15th 2023. Can anyone give me a sense of what my chances are? I’m past the 11 month window. David’s says the room is available but there aren’t any points yet available. I told them to hold my deposit until points become available. Do I wait or rent two rooms somewhere else?
A 3-bed is unlikely. It is very unusual for a grand villa to be available for renting. Very few owners rent out that many points - and those that do would be renting privately to repeat renters not through a broker.

And actually 2 x 2-bedrooms give you a better sleeping arrangement. 4 separate bedrooms, each with their own bathroom. You’d want to make sure that you make clear you need both, as it’s likely it would be two different owners.

montyz81

A 3-bed is unlikely. It is very unusual for a grand villa to be available for renting. Very few owners rent out that many points - and those that do would be renting privately to repeat renters not through a broker.

And actually 2 x 2-bedrooms give you a better sleeping arrangement. 4 separate bedrooms, each with their own bathroom. You’d want to make sure that you make clear you need both, as it’s likely it would be two different owners.
Thanks for the input. Is there any other way to get a 3-bedroom villa?

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks for the input. Is there any other way to get a 3-bedroom villa?
It’s highly unlikely to be able to book a 3-bed villa without being a DVC member.

Although Disney can use their own points at resorts, of which they hold 2-3%, plus unused points, they usually use them to offer studios, 1&2 beds to the public. A grand villa (3-bed) would just use so many of them as to preclude offering enough other rooms. You can always ask.

And like I say, very few DVC owners rent out that kind of quantity of points.

Your best bet is probably to hope the broker does get someone with enough points. But don’t get your hopes up.

montyz81

It’s highly unlikely to be able to book a 3-bed villa without being a DVC member.

Although Disney can use their own points at resorts, of which they hold 2-3%, plus unused points, they usually use them to offer studios, 1&2 beds to the public. A grand villa (3-bed) would just use so many of them as to preclude offering enough other rooms. You can always ask.

And like I say, very few DVC owners rent out that kind of quantity of points.

Your best bet is probably to hope the broker does get someone with enough points. But don’t get your hopes up.
Well, it took just two weeks to get the 3 bedroom villa at old key west. We are locked and loaded for next summer. I’d say it is not unlikely at all.

correcaminos

Well, it took just two weeks to get the 3 bedroom villa at old key west. We are locked and loaded for next summer. I’d say it is not unlikely at all.
OKW would be the exception. With the point cost and number they have, they would be easier if you can get that booked early enough (before they are booked via DVC). Other locations not as likely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom