News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

Rich Brownn

Problem is Rat basically took up Morocco's expansion pad, Japan and Italy don't have much room. Germany is the country that has the most room both on it's actual country plot and next to it (although next to it is where Brazil would go if it ever happened).
Germany already has a show building. It was just never used. (I don't know if its still true, but you used to be able to tap the mural and figure out where the entrance was supposed to be. The exit was in the back of the restaurant.

lazyboy97o

Germany already has a show building. It was just never used. (I don't know if its still true, but you used to be able to tap the mural and figure out where the entrance was supposed to be. The exit was in the back of the restaurant.
Germany’s show building was not built. Just the loading area.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here is a look at the new sign from this morning

Cool that they're also installing a giant Alfredo and Remy!

1579022431478.png

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
That... is not looking promising. Leaving aside how ridiculous the structure looks from certain angles on the Skyliner, the painted flats appear too much in the style of the animated movie for my liking. This is World Showcase, not Toontown, and the facade of the attraction should be mimicking the real world, not the movie.

What I don't get is their painting of the flat supports in go away green and not sky colored. Not a dealbreaker, just odd.

Prototype82

I wish the facade of the ride didn't scream "toony", but at the same time, the view doesn't affect the existing part of the pavilion. There are also the glass structures in front of it as well that we'll be wrapping around. One could argue that as soon as you turn the corner to this new Ratatouille area, the unveiling is where the attraction begins. If it doesn't affect the cultural pavilion's sight lines, I don't see it being too problematic. Same goes for Cherry Tree Lane. The "real" country is seen from the front and the whimsical will be unveiled as you turn the corner. If we have to have IP areas, this doesn't seem to be a terrible way to present them.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

This is really starting to feel like the beginning of the end of MK's Tomorrowland for me. An odd blending of real vs. Disney. Authentic blurred to cartoon. It really feels jarring for me - even though this is (at least) "tucked around the corner." I'm really beginning to think the annual pass is not going to happen for me, which surprises even myself.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wish the facade of the ride didn't scream "toony", but at the same time, the view doesn't affect the existing part of the pavilion. There are also the glass structures in front of it as well that we'll be wrapping around. One could argue that as soon as you turn the corner to this new Ratatouille area, the unveiling is where the attraction begins. If it doesn't affect the cultural pavilion's sight lines, I don't see it being too problematic. Same goes for Cherry Tree Lane. The "real" country is seen from the front and the whimsical will be unveiled as you turn the corner. If we have to have IP areas, this doesn't seem to be a terrible way to present them.

Think of it as French Impressionism!

;)

justintheharris

This is really starting to feel like the beginning of the end of MK's Tomorrowland for me. An odd blending of real vs. Disney. Authentic blurred to cartoon. It really feels jarring for me - even though this is (at least) "tucked around the corner." I'm really beginning to think the annual pass is not going to happen for me, which surprises even myself.
Wow you all would've been great at Disneyland in Walt's era.
"OMG!!! New Orleans next to FRONTIERLAND?! THAT MAKES NO SENSE!!!"
"OMG!! I can see a mountain from Main Street USA! What a distracting catastrophe! I'm calling Walt!!"
"They're building WHAT?! A ROLLER COASTER?! THAT DOES NOT BELONG IN DISNEYLAND!!!! IT'LL ATTRACT TEENAGERS!!"

Goofyque'

"OMG!! I can see a mountain from Main Street USA! What a distracting catastrophe! I'm calling Walt!!"
"They're building WHAT?! A ROLLER COASTER?! THAT DOES NOT BELONG IN DISNEYLAND!!!! IT'LL ATTRACT TEENAGERS!!"
IKR? Without these boards and the internet, I would still think it was ok to like something new or different. Been going to Disney since 1957, thought I always liked it! 😄

Epcot82Guy

Actually, I'm not that way at all - but I'll play along since you are assuming a lot of what I think... The attention to cohesive story and transition within lands was a key focus. Disneyland's premise was always about discrete lands focusing on an overarching theme. They didn't necessarily connect to each other and didn't have to. They were meant for broad-based themes that entertained families (of that era) and harkened back to genres which everyone (again, at the time) related to. So, as a result, Disneyland and Magic Kingdom worked because the overarching story works. And, other than maybe with SW:GE, it's remained that way since Day 1. It's definitely evolved and flexed. But, other than maybe TL, the focus of Frontierland, New Orleans Square, Bear Country/Critter Country, MainStreet USA, etc. haven't changed. What they feature and how it's executed has. But, the theme has not largely.

Here, you have what was once a very realized theme going to an inconsistent theme. Much like happened in Tomorrowland and Hollywood Studios. Are the countries in World Showcase trying to be a representation of their real world versions? Is it how the real world has inspired Disney films? Is it the Disney version of each country? That's where my issue is. I appreciate that not everyone cares about that level of detail - but many do. And, I'd argue that level of detail and consistency is what drives Pandora and SW Galaxy's Edge. I would bet many would find it odd if they put a Wall-E attraction into Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - unless they redid the theme for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge into something that allowed for both SW and Wall-E to be in the same place.

My bigger point is many of the expansions and additions have been great. I've been an AP for years making multiple trips a year until recently. This is a new direction which could have been avoided with better storytelling and appreciation for what is there (while still adding plenty of "new").

And, FYI, I'd not I am not a "What Would Walt Do" person. I grew up with WDW.

lazyboy97o

The flats are and have been visible above the existing pavilion.

New Orleans was the frontier. There are mountain towns.

aladdin2007

Problem is Rat basically took up Morocco's expansion pad, Japan and Italy don't have much room. Germany is the country that has the most room both on it's actual country plot and next to it (although next to it is where Brazil would go if it ever happened).

not really, (marni correct me if wrong) but rat took up the expansion pad for a future pavilion between Morocco and France, I dont believe it took whats left of or part of Morocco's space. The plot between Morocco and France was never really earmarked for a Morocco expansion, although they certainly could have instead of giving it to France.... ha I know it sounds like were making new borders or countries here lol.

Rich Brownn

Its more like if they had put Country Bear Jamboree in New Orleans Square.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom