News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

Bocabear

I'm well aware of that......I'm not referring to the level of detail. I'm talking about the stylized shapes of the twisted smoke stacks. That design decision is clearly visible and it's apparent that some people aren't fond of them. I'm just defending them.
Being in back of the pavilion in a whole new space, becoming a more stylized setting is fine...after all, you are moving from the France ispired realism of the front areas to a whimsical ride with a Rat...It all makes perfect sense and doesn't harm the integrity of the pavilion a bit... This seems like the same thing they will do with the UK Pavilion with the Mary attraction and the more whimsical Cherry Tree Lane back behind the established facades.
I am hoping they do the same thing in China and give us a Mulan based attraction back behind the marketplace and create a more exaggerated whimsical setting for it...it's a great roadmap of how to bring IP based attractions into World Showcase without destroying the bones of the park.

Prototype82

The difference between Remy and FEA is that Remy didn't replace or change anything really, it's just an addition. So the France pavilion of yesteryear is still basically 100% intact. Even if you end up hating the finished product, you could go to the France pavilion and just not turn the corner and never have to look at the new Remy area.
Exactly. It's an added bonus.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

Being in back of the pavilion in a whole new space, becoming a more stylized setting is fine...after all, you are moving from the France ispired realism of the front areas to a whimsical ride with a Rat...It all makes perfect sense and doesn't harm the integrity of the pavilion a bit... This seems like the same thing they will do with the UK Pavilion with the Mary attraction and the more whimsical Cherry Tree Lane back behind the established facades.
I am hoping they do the same thing in China and give us a Mulan based attraction back behind the marketplace and create a more exaggerated whimsical setting for it...it's a great roadmap of how to bring IP based attractions into World Showcase without destroying the bones of the park.

I think that's where the fundamental disagreement is (not saying you're wrong). That feels like a huge stretch and doesn't make sense - since I think "our" side sees the pavilion as a whole. If you are willing (or moreso interested) in it being transitional from real to fantasy, then I think your argument is quite sound. I do think (as much as it would likely kill any chance of me returning personally) they need to do it in every pavilion then. It would not make sense to have some be real world only and others be the mix. That way the approach would then be consistent - as I think you are suggesting with China.

Timothy_Q

I much prefer the more discreet attraction sign found at the WDSP version. (Never thought anything in that park would be better than what's elsewhere. ;). )
We don’t even know what the attraction sign will look like here, how can you say you like it better elsewhere?

Bocabear

I think that's where the fundamental disagreement is (not saying you're wrong). That feels like a huge stretch and doesn't make sense - since I think "our" side sees the pavilion as a whole. If you are willing (or moreso interested) in it being transitional from real to fantasy, then I think your argument is quite sound. I do think (as much as it would likely kill any chance of me returning personally) they need to do it in every pavilion then. It would not make sense to have some be real world only and others be the mix. That way the approach would then be consistent - as I think you are suggesting with China.
Oh trust me, we are on the same side...but we lost that battle with Frozen...now I feel if they can at least integrate the attraction and IP in a meaningful way, it is OK... Choosing IP's that relate to the pavilion is essential though... Remy is about loving cuisine and living in Paris...it is not a stretch for this IP to feel at home in the pavilion...as opposed to Frozen which takes place in a mythical world inspired by writers who were not from the region and not based on anything related to Norway in a meaningful way.
Mulan does take place in the real not imagined China... this feels like another natural fit to me ( again if IP is the game, it can at least be played well). Coco also feels like a perfect fit for the Mexico pavilion...this is the most baffling that they are not already under construction...this one seems to be the best fit of all... Mexican locations and culture are represented not as an aside, but the focus of the story...So...knowing the IP Battle is lost, I am suggesting good choices and application can make it a win for us all...

Disney Analyst

Oh trust me, we are on the same side...but we lost that battle with Frozen...now I feel if they can at least integrate the attraction and IP in a meaningful way, it is OK... Choosing IP's that relate to the pavilion is essential though... Remy is about loving cuisine and living in Paris...it is not a stretch for this IP to feel at home in the pavilion...as opposed to Frozen which takes place in a mythical world inspired by writers who were not from the region and not based on anything related to Norway in a meaningful way.
Mulan does take place in the real not imagined China... this feels like another natural fit to me ( again if IP is the game, it can at least be played well). Coco also feels like a perfect fit for the Mexico pavilion...this is the most baffling that they are not already under construction...this one seems to be the best fit of all... Mexican locations and culture are represented not as an aside, but the focus of the story...So...knowing the IP Battle is lost, I am suggesting good choices and application can make it a win for us all...

As you point out, many IP's can work for the pavilions, Frozen was the biggest stretch, but people love the ride so... alas...

Pinocchio would be perfect for Italy... can they create a modern version of the classic Fantasyland Dark ride? I think it would be well received.

Epcot82Guy

I agree. I just can't decide where it leaves me. I do wish there was something more to the stories of these attractions. Rat in Paris left me kinda meh. Cool idea with a really cool facade - but not much substance. And Frozen did the same. (It feels like a real world version of that pretty bad short they did a few years ago.) So, I guess I wish they were trying to do more to integrate those characters into the real world country vs. the other way around. It just (to me) feels less cohesive - which is the opposite of what I loved about the Disney parks (historically). But, glad you are finding a way to make it still enjoyable for you!

I do agree, as I've said, that Coco would be wonderful for Mexico. I just wish the ride would be explaining about Dias de los Muertos vs. a Coco rehash - or even worse, some silly Disney short turned ride. And, if they are going to do this, then really make that story line (i.e. see how countries of the world inspired some of our biggest and best stories) the official story of World Showcase. That would actually feel better since it would then be one overarching story for WS again. (But now I'm repeating myself. :) )

Epcot82Guy

As you point out, many IP's can work for the pavilions, Frozen was the biggest stretch, but people love the ride so... alas...

Pinocchio would be perfect for Italy... can they create a modern version of the classic Fantasyland Dark ride? I think it would be well received.

I'm interested (genuinely) why putting an updated Pinocchio's Daring Journey feels better than Frozen? I though most of the issue with Frozen is that it's a Fantasyland ride plopped into World Showcase, especially about a fantasy kingdom. (and apologies if I misunderstood your post.)

Disney Analyst

I'm interested (genuinely) why putting an updated Pinocchio's Daring Journey feels better than Frozen? I though most of the issue with Frozen is that it's a Fantasyland ride plopped into World Showcase, especially about a fantasy kingdom. (and apologies if I misunderstood your post.)

The issue with frozen is it really has no historic basis in Norway. Pinocchio is set in Italy. It’s a story in Italy. It shows Italy.

Bocabear

Completely wrong for the park...Italy is not represented in any meaningful way in the film...as a child I always assumed it was Germany but they had funny names...now a story or film that actually is set in a recognizable Italy and includes a little Italian culture, then it would make sense...Pinocchio should have been built in Fantasyland... Much like setting a Snow White attraction in Germany...these are fairy tales that don't necessarily have a specific location... I think Cinderella was also based on Cendrillon which was a French fairy tale...So should they add a Cinderella sing along to the theater in France too? of course not.
Frozen broke the framework which should always be using an IP that is appropriate culturally for the pavilion... it is a pretty simple concept.

dreday3

Completely wrong for the park...Italy is not represented in any meaningful way in the film...as a child I always assumed it was Germany but they had funny names...now a story or film that actually is set in a recognizable Italy and includes a little Italian culture, then it would make sense...Pinocchio should have been built in Fantasyland... Much like setting a Snow White attraction in Germany...these are fairy tales that don't necessarily have a specific location... I think Cinderella was also based on Cendrillon which was a French fairy tale...So should they add a Cinderella sing along to the theater in France too? of course not.
Frozen broke the framework which should always be using an IP that is appropriate culturally for the pavilion... it is a pretty simple concept.

Really? I thought everyone assumed it was Italy. Pinocchio, Geppetto, Stromboli... German? The author was Carlo Collodi.

Not saying there should be a ride in Epcot.

lazyboy97o

Completely wrong for the park...Italy is not represented in any meaningful way in the film...as a child I always assumed it was Germany but they had funny names...now a story or film that actually is set in a recognizable Italy and includes a little Italian culture, then it would make sense...
Not to support the idea, but World Showcase should not be limited by the familiar.

Bocabear

Not to support the idea, but World Showcase should not be limited by the familiar.
not familiar, but a definitive sense of place or location... Does Pinocchio feel like Italy? It must have confused more than just me since there is a Pinocchio Village Haus...in more than one park, and the buildings are always based on a sort of stylized European/Bavarian lodge...not to ramp up a silly argument...the point is that Pinocchio is more appropriate in a Fantasyland setting ... Italian culture is not really represented in the film...not like Coco, Mulan, Ratatouille...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The issue with frozen is it really has no historic basis in Norway. Pinocchio is set in Italy. It’s a story in Italy. It shows Italy.

Except for the Norwegian art and Norwegian architecture and Norwegian period fashion and Norwegian indigenous people, Frozen has nothing to do with Norway and nothing Norwegian was shown! 🙄

The film designers made trips to Norway, not other Nordic or Scandinavian countries for research on the art design.

Did the makers of Pinocchio do the same for that film? And yes, Pinocchio, the book by an Italian author, is beloved by Italians. But because of the book, not Disney's film, which alters the story as much as they altered The Ice Queen for Frozen.

brihow

not familiar, but a definitive sense of place or location... Does Pinocchio feel like Italy? It must have confused more than just me since there is a Pinocchio Village Haus...in more than one park, and the buildings are always based on a sort of stylized European/Bavarian lodge...not to ramp up a silly argument...the point is that Pinocchio is more appropriate in a Fantasyland setting ... Italian culture is not really represented in the film...not like Coco, Mulan, Ratatouille...

Even though "Pinocchio" character names sound Italian, the look and feel of the film feels more German to me as well. The Village house music is all yodelling, and Pinocchio is even wearing lederhosen in the film. I guess the intent was that the film felt just generally European without getting specific.

At the end of the day, the only way Pinocchio is getting a ride anywhere in WDW is if (when) they remake the film it would have to be at least a mild success.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom