News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

ToTBellHop

Why are they having so much trouble with this ride? It's a clone of an attraction that already exists and they've had a ton of time to test this version.
Just because a ride is a clone doesn’t mean everything is identical.

Also, they didn’t ship over the French experts to run the thing after handoff.

They’ll sort it out. I’m sure it will be a reliable ride.

UNCgolf

Just because a ride is a clone doesn’t mean everything is identical.

Also, they didn’t ship over the French experts to run the thing after handoff.

They’ll sort it out. I’m sure it will be a reliable ride.

I'm sure it will too, but it's surprising they're having so many problems with it early on, especially since it's been finished for quite a while. It's not like they didn't have months to run tests on the completed ride and get everything sorted out, and it's not like it's Rise with a bunch of totally new effects etc.

Rider

I'm sure it will too, but it's surprising they're having so many problems with it early on, especially since it's been finished for quite a while. It's not like they didn't have months to run tests on the completed ride and get everything sorted out, and it's not like it's Rise with a bunch of totally new effects etc.

The blueprints might be a copy but all the parts are new. There will be Items that were just defective. Installations that were done wrong. And issues that don't appear until you start putting thousands of people a day through it.
The ride or the area? The ride is the same, the area is not.
Yes I did mean the ride.

UNCgolf

The blueprints might be a copy but all the parts are new. There will be Items that were just defective. Installations that were done wrong. And issues that don't appear until you start putting thousands of people a day through it.

Yes I did mean the ride.

The number of people actually riding it now shouldn't really make a difference. They've had months to run it as though it was operating regularly, which is what makes the defective items etc. argument not really pass muster. It's not like they only finished it a couple of weeks go; the ride was finished months ago and has been sitting unopened.

Rider

The number of people actually riding it now shouldn't really make a difference. They've had months to run it as though it was operating regularly, which is what makes the defective items etc. argument not really pass muster. It's not like they only finished it a couple of weeks go; the ride was finished months ago and has been sitting unopened.
Imagine a manufacturing defect in a sensor for the ride vehicle door. It wasn't immediately defective but after enough cycles it starts to break and give a bad signal to the ride computer. If they are cycling empty they might not open or close the doors every time so the number of cycles is low. But now every cycle the door opens and closes for the riders (at load and unload!). The part finally gives out and they need to spend a short amount of time finding and replacing it.

Having "months" to test run this ride isn't actually a lot of time in the grand scheme of things. It will eventaully be running 7 days a week for decades. Parts will give out for various reasons, ride vehicles will ocasionally miss their mark and park wrong, some guest will push too hard on the safety gate and cause a limit switch to trip. happens. Nothing is perfect and an hour of downtime here or there is hardly a disaster.

UNCgolf

Imagine a manufacturing defect in a sensor for the ride vehicle door. It wasn't immediately defective but after enough cycles it starts to break and give a bad signal to the ride computer. If they are cycling empty they might not open or close the doors every time so the number of cycles is low. But now every cycle the door opens and closes for the riders (at load and unload!). The part finally gives out and they need to spend a short amount of time finding and replacing it.

Having "months" to test run this ride isn't actually a lot of time in the grand scheme of things. It will eventaully be running 7 days a week for decades. Parts will give out for various reasons, ride vehicles will ocasionally miss their mark and park wrong, some guest will push too hard on the safety gate and cause a limit switch to trip. **** happens. Nothing is perfect and an hour of downtime here or there is hardly a disaster.

I'm not calling it a disaster, but it really shouldn't be going down as much as it has early on. It's a cloned attraction that has had months of testing (or at least could have -- don't know if Disney actually was running it regularly) and doesn't really have that much to break compared to something like Rise.

Rider

I'm not calling it a disaster, but it really shouldn't be going down as much as it has early on. It's a cloned attraction that has had months of testing (or at least could have -- don't know if Disney actually was running it regularly) and doesn't really have that much to break compared to something like Rise.
It has plenty of complex systems. Just because it lacks AAs doesn't have anything to do with the ride system.

Again doing a few months of limited testing isn't the same as full operations and things that break won't all be caught in early tests.

But "shut down for an hour" on a couple non conservative days is pretty good in my opinion. That kind of random short downtime would be expected on an attraction of any tenure.

aladdin2007

It has plenty of complex systems. Just because it lacks AAs doesn't have anything to do with the ride system.

Again doing a few months of limited testing isn't the same as full operations and things that break won't all be caught in early tests.

But "shut down for an hour" on a couple non conservative days is pretty good in my opinion. That kind of random short downtime would be expected on an attraction of any tenure.
agree I think it's a lot more complex than railway, the way these vehicles swerve and maneuver all around and through each other. Just the load area itself is impressive watching all of this in action.. I can see where they are going to have operational issues with it.

peter11435

Being cloned is irrelevant. It’s still a new ride system operating with new equipment. They have been running it regularly for quite some time but that doesn’t stop things from popping up. There’s far more that could wrong than you think. Rise has more other components such as the VVC’s but AGV to AGV, rat is just as complex as Rise. If you were to list the 10 most complex ride systems at WDW, Rat would be one of them.

UNCgolf

Being cloned is irrelevant. It’s still a new ride system operating with new equipment. They have been running it regularly for quite some time but that doesn’t stop things from popping up. There’s far more that could wrong than you think. Rise has more other components such as the VVC’s but AGV to AGV, rat is just as complex as Rise. If you were to list the 10 most complex ride systems at WDW, Rat would be one of them.

Being cloned is absolutely not irrelevant unless the different parks at Disney don't communicate with each other at all. It's also not a new ride system. It's new equipment, but the fact that it's been running for months mitigates that.

That doesn't mean there can't be things that go wrong that they had no way to fix in advance -- and there are always going to be things that pop up randomly here and there; it would be unrealistic to expect rides to operate perfectly all the time -- but it's disingenuous to act like this is a completely new thing the way something like Rise is.

peter11435

Being cloned is absolutely not irrelevant unless the different parks at Disney don't communicate with each other at all. It's also not a new ride system. It's new equipment, but the fact that it's been running for months mitigates that.

That doesn't mean there can't be things that go wrong that they had no way to fix in advance -- and there are always going to be things that pop up randomly here and there; it would be unrealistic to expect rides to operate perfectly all the time -- but it's disingenuous to act like this is a completely new thing the way something like Rise is.
Actually it absolutely is irrelevant that it is a clone. These things are made up of thousands of components. Any one of them can fail at any time. Just because this is a clone doesn’t mean every component is the same nor does it mean they were all manufactured by the same manufacturer. And even if they were, there are location and environmental specific changes and issues that can arise.

I didn’t mean the ride system type was new, I thought it was clear that I meant the installation was new. The equipment itself. Running for months doesn’t eliminate the potential for future issues. Just like why older attractions continue to have downtimes.

So far Rat has actually been impressively reliable so this conversation really shouldn’t even be happening.

Its also disingenuous to act like Rise is a completely new thing. In reality it’s an impressive combination of existing technology. I guess Rise shouldn’t have downtimes because it’s really just a clone of Ratatouille, Tower of Terror, and Star Tours

UNCgolf

Actually it absolutely is irrelevant that it is a clone. These things are made up of thousands of components. Any one of them can fail at any time. Just because this is a clone doesn’t mean every component is the same nor does it mean they were all manufactured by the same manufacturer. And even if they were, there are location and environmental specific changes and issues that can arise.

I didn’t mean the ride system type was new, I thought it was clear that I meant the installation was new. The equipment itself. Running for months doesn’t eliminate the potential for future issues. Just like why older attractions continue to have downtimes.

So far Rat has actually been impressively reliable so this conversation really shouldn’t even be happening.

Its also disingenuous to act like Rise is a completely new thing. In reality it’s an impressive combination of existing technology. I guess Rise shouldn’t have downtimes because it’s really just a clone of Ratatouille, Tower of Terror, and Star Tours

Of course being a clone isn't irrelevant; suggesting otherwise is ludicrous (unless it was a clone in appearance only and literally everything about the underlying mechanics, software, etc. of the ride was completely different, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case with Ratatouille). I understand the point that you're making regarding the actual mechanical components, and I agree with it (I said as much above), but there's still a baseline level of knowledge regarding certain issues that doesn't exist with a completely new attraction. And many of the issues with mechanical components should have been solved prior to opening due to the long delay between finishing the build and actually opening it. I certainly don't expect everything to be fixed, but the combination of being a clone and the long testing period should give the ride a huge leg up on reliability compared to other newly built attractions.

Regardless, I have no idea how much the ride has actually been down. It could be very reliable like you said. It just seems like people have mentioned it being down several times already.

With regards to Rise, while combining all of those into one attraction is a completely new thing IMO -- making them work together is different than having them work separately -- that isn't what I meant. All I meant was that it's a new attraction that didn't already exist elsewhere. I could have said MMRR and my point would be the same.

lazyboy97o

Of course being a clone isn't irrelevant; suggesting otherwise is ludicrous (unless it was a clone in appearance only and literally everything about the underlying mechanics, software, etc. of the ride was completely different, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case with Ratatouille).
A lot of stuff is the same in appearance only.

UNCgolf

A lot of stuff is the same in appearance only.

That certainly makes a difference, but I can't imagine there isn't a decent amount of overlap in software etc.

And that's still mitigated, as I said, by the lengthy testing period they had. Many regular mechanical flaws should have popped up in that period -- not all of them, to be sure, but enough to increase reliability over something with a shorter test period.

None of that matters if the reliability has actually been good, though. I'm only going off what I've read here.

EDIT: The ride is actually older than I thought. I thought the Paris version only opened like 3 years ago. 7 years isn't that long, but it's long enough for there to be more differences than I was imagining.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom