News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

rreading

Original DL certainly wasn't strict with sight lines.

Then during the time of Epcot *pure* sightlines were the ideal... until they weren't (cf. Swolphin).

Then Cars Land and Potter Lands brought back sightline purity by not letting you see anything out of their one-IP land.

Toy Story Land and SW Land also attempted sightline purity, but there are a few gaps to the outside world.

I had misunderstood you that "the one-IP mega-land" messed up the sight lines. Now it makes sense

DVCakaCarlF

Original DL certainly wasn't strict with sight lines.

Then during the time of Epcot *pure* sightlines were the ideal... until they weren't (cf. Swolphin).

Then Cars Land and Potter Lands brought back sightline purity by not letting you see anything out of their one-IP land.

Toy Story Land and SW Land also attempted sightline purity, but there are a few gaps to the outside world.
Pandora, and, frankly, anything in DAK, has amazing preservation of sight lines. Give it up to JR.

Marc Davis Fan

Maintaining proper sightlines (especially views of outside the park but also between lands) was considered important from the beginning.

That's why a berm was built around Disneyland. That's why Walt conditioned his selection of Anaheim upon a zoning restriction that prevents the development buildings tall enough to be easily seen from inside the park. That's why, before opening New Orleans Square, Walt had a tree planted in a specific place to block views of the Matterhorn from that area. And so on.

This does not mean Disneyland met this ideal 100% of the time (e.g., before the berm's trees grew in, one could see power lines that were outside the park, and of course the tops of some structures in various areas of the park were visible from other areas). This also does not mean they didn't allow exceptions based on balancing other considerations (e.g., seeing outside the park from Matterhorn Bobsleds, and seeing the tops of facades from the Skyway). But it does mean that they considered sightlines integral.

Furthermore, Disney placed even greater emphasis on sightlines when developing the parks that are most highly-regarded for their design quality - Disneyland Paris, Disney's Animal Kingdom, and DisneySea. They took sightline principles that were developed from the very beginning, and - with larger budgets and more highly-developed design skills - they improved upon their execution.

Sightlines are an important part of what makes the Disney theme park experience work. I hope Disney does not falter further on this central principle.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You want to experience a park with incredible sight line protection? Go to Disneyland Paris. Each land feels like its own separate world. Castle aside, you have to really look hard to see other areas and even the castle seems to disappear at times. It's an almost perfectly designed Magic Kingdom.
This is the park where they installed a staircase in Discoveryland and Eisner had it removed since it blocked the sight line of the X wing in its original location.

Disney Analyst

I’ve never been bothered by sightline issues in Disneyland. I love that the outside world is kept out, but inside the park, it doesn’t really matter to me if I can see lands from other lands and such. It’s the charm of Disneyland.

Now at MK, with the behind Main Street backstage views completely visible from onstage (Although they’ve tried to fix that more recently).

That’s a sight line I take issue with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom