News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

Josh Hendy

Gringotts ain't perfect, but it's for sure better than Ratatouille...On a scale of 1-10, and speaking very broadly to cover all the elements you're asking about, if Gringotts hits between a 6 or 7, then Ratatouille is between a 4 and 5. ...
Or were you looking for a rating for each category?
That's perfect, thanks! My impressions of Ratatouille and now MMRR is that Disney went a little too far "screen based" and insufficiently 3D, multimedia and immersive.

RotR gives me the entirely opposite impression and I'll bet Disney now wishes they had gone that way more with Rat and MMRR

yensidtlaw1969

For once I was quite impressed with the ride compared to some others it seems! 😆

This one - including the area work - is coming in a good 10% less than the original, although I’ll have to check the Paris figure too. Perhaps concrete costs less than steel.
Maybe I sound more harsh than I mean to.

I'll say this, I got a Fastpass first thing and then got in line and didn't wait very long, and I had no problem coming back later to use my Fastpass. It's not like I never want to ride it again. There are parts of the ride that were charming. But the screens in the ride felt poorly integrated ruined the immersion the big, obviously expensive projection domes wanted to offer. Much of the ride is in those domes, but the best parts of the ride were the spaces between the screens. The ride stopped cold and turned into an obvious movie when you parked in the next one.

Soarin' and Flight of Passage succeed in their use of projection domes because they suspend the guests in the middle of them with the edges far out of sight. On Ratatouille the edge is right in front of you, easily in your line of sight, meeting at the level of the floor the vehicle is on. That they just expect you to ignore it instead of doing the work to remove or disguise it was super surprising and put a total damper on the ride.

This could have been alleviated by, say, building the domes down into the floor and putting the vehicle up to the edge of a balcony looking into it so that the video totally encompasses your field of vision. If a more dynamic motion base was added onto that my rating to the ride would jump dramatically. Add in a few Animatronic Rats and I'd be over the moon.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Soarin' and Flight of Passage succeed in their use of projection domes because they suspend the guests in the middle of them with the edges far out of sight. On Ratatouille the edge is right in front of you, easily in your line of sight, meeting at the level of the floor the vehicle is on. That they just expect you to ignore it instead of doing the work to remove or disguise it was super surprising and put a total damper on the ride..
If that’s the criteria, I’d argue none succeed. Certainly not FoP where despite trying to use a blinker effect to mask the edges, the other guests are clear to see given the angled seating. Soarin.... legs dangling in front of you... and both have motions that cannot hide the edge of their respective screens. Even with my wider than normal field of view.

often with Rat I found the front lip of the RV blended well with the bottom of the screen. Once it had parked.

yensidtlaw1969

If that’s the criteria, I’d argue none succeed. Certainly not FoP where despite trying to use a blinker effect to mask the edges, the other guests are clear to see given the angled seating. Soarin.... legs dangling in front of you...

often with Rat I found the front lip of the RV blended well with the bottom of the screen. Once it had parked.
I suppose I should have said succeed better - you're right that they're not perfect. I've always felt like the dangling feet on Soarin' was a feature rather than a liability, as if we're all flying together, but that may well just be me. You're right that on FoP all it takes is a turn of the head to reveal the other people, but between the video content and the motion base the ride makes a more compelling case to get lost in the simulation than Ratatouille ever does.

I was in both the front and back rows of Ratatouille and never found the lip to disguise the floor - and I'm not a tall guy!

TiggerDad

Compared to the other rides at Disney Studios Paris, Ratatouille is quite good.

Compared to the other rides at EPCOT, Ratatouille is OK.

It also opens right after Rise of the Resistance and MMRR. It will inevitably be compared to those and I'm not sure how people will react.
We liked Crush's Coaster next door more than Rat, but you're right that the rest of Studios Paris makes it look good by comparison. Can't wait for the expansion there.

My rating for Rat reflects that I see it as a one and done per trip. An E ticket should be something you want to ride over and over.

Once this opens in Epcot, it will be mobbed like all new rides and will likely get positive reviews like most junk in the swamps do by the masses. That doesn't make it a great ride, but the fact that it's an addition in a place that makes sense is great.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
My figure was from "The Google", so I'd believe you sooner than the wild west of the internet. It also was in reference to Paris' attraction - I'm not sure how the money relates to what's happening in Florida.
Well, you'd have to add at least a third more to cover converting all those metric measurements into pounds, feet and gallons.

Rich Brownn

Well, industry insiders have usually insisted we use WDI designation (for the more recent rides... older rides have a history of actual tickets showing what class of ride they were... which sometimes changed).

A wildly popular C Ticket that always has long lines doesn't make it an E Ticket.

And conversely, an E Ticket that isn't popular doesn't make it a C Ticket.
It did back in the day :) Heck, Country Bear and HoP swapped E and D due to lines.

NobodyElse

The cables across what became the park site.
Yes, I know. (Just a bit of joking.) I guess we should praise the team for not leaving these in place - it certainly would have saved some money.
1582500028678.png

My little point was that they just re-routed them to the perimeter (and put the supports on a diet). Most of us that lived through it wished they could have been mitigated better. Either by putting them in underground vaults (likely much too costly) or by designing the park and its elements to more effectively block their view.

That's all. Back to Remy. :)

Sir_Cliff

If that’s the criteria, I’d argue none succeed. Certainly not FoP where despite trying to use a blinker effect to mask the edges, the other guests are clear to see given the angled seating. Soarin.... legs dangling in front of you... and both have motions that cannot hide the edge of their respective screens. Even with my wider than normal field of view.

Yes, I'm kind of surprised at the negativity on here about the ride. Almost all rides require at least some suspension of disbelief.

For me, Rat is a fun ride that is also suitable for pretty much all ages. It is also a rare IP addition to Epcot that actually fits reasonably well. If not for the painted flats and giant green box visible across the lagoon, this would be probably the only thing coming to Epcot that was all positive to me.

No Name

The ticket system was nothing more than a business mechanic, and if any ticket designation wasn’t in line with that, that was a case of poor business.

On an integer scale of 0 to 1, I would say Rat is a 1.

Epcot82Guy

Yes, I'm kind of surprised at the negativity on here about the ride. Almost all rides require at least some suspension of disbelief.

For me, Rat is a fun ride that is also suitable for pretty much all ages. It is also a rare IP addition to Epcot that actually fits reasonably well. If not for the painted flats and giant green box visible across the lagoon, this would be probably the only thing coming to Epcot that was all positive to me.

I think that's a fair assessment. I think there was a version of Rat (where it was updated and tweaked to fix the first version and make it fit more seamlessly) which would have been a slam dunk. It's the "cheaper route" taken that drives a lot of this criticism IMHO.

HauntedMansionFLA

Surprised by the negativity on here?? You must be new to this site ;)

lazyboy97o

Suspension of disbelief is supposed to be an unconscious reaction, not a conscious action. Everything is great if you just pretend it is better.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Suspension of disbelief is supposed to be an unconscious reaction, not a conscious action. Everything is great if you just pretend it is better.
Let’s be honest, if you’re an adult there is no way to believe you are an actual rat running around a kitchen. But to your point, if you are a child the belief is 100% there.

Sir_Cliff

My point in the context of the discussion, though, is that I don't find it any more conscious than on attractions like Soarin' or FoP that were mentioned

I think that's a fair assessment. I think there was a version of Rat (where it was updated and tweaked to fix the first version and make it fit more seamlessly) which would have been a slam dunk. It's the "cheaper route" taken that drives a lot of this criticism IMHO.
I do agree that there is a world with a plussed version of the attraction that would take it to the next level. How they're spending the money they are on a direct clone of the existing ride is a mystery to me.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Yes, I know. (Just a bit of joking.) I guess we should praise the team for not leaving these in place - it certainly would have saved some money.
View attachment 451410

My little point was that they just re-routed them to the perimeter (and put the supports on a diet). Most of us that lived through it wished they could have been mitigated better. Either by putting them in underground vaults (likely much too costly) or by designing the park and its elements to more effectively block their view.
Or perhaps even USE THEM as part of the attractions...
1582554161910.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom