Remember When...

DisJosh

Originally posted by One Lil Spark
I remember when I was younger my family would always get food to go and we'd hope on the skyway in MK and we'd eat up in the air looking down on everything. It's too bad that they closed that, but it's undertstandable with all the hurricanes and such. Oh well... *sigh*

The sky way is one thing I don't miss....those things just didn't feel safe to me. lol :D If they were still in operation today I think I would have to try your restaurant in the sky idea though. :D

homer424

World of Motion is one I will miss. They used to have a little lounge inside the attraction building for employees of GM. My mom at the time worked for them and I remember going up there and relaxing. Then when we were ready they would bring us downstairs and load us onto the ride :)

I also can not wait to see the new Imagination ride since I loved the old one so much!

WDWGarden

Originally posted by Mufasa_AC
Free roaming characters is another. I miss the excitement of not knowing when or where the characters would appear. Unfortunately unruly tour groups forced a more structured, formal encounter with them.

AGREED! One of my favorite memories of my family trip to WDW in '76 (I was two!) was Brer Fox wandering up behind my dad and just leaning on him with is elbow. We have a SLIDE of it that always makes me laugh!

Maria

Well.... I disagree with you guys on the character appearances thing...
When I was little, we went to Disney and it was so hard to find Mickey or other characters to take pictures with! Of course, when you finally found them, there was such a crowd that most of the times, we had to leave before being able to take pics with them, or the hcaracter would leave before it was our turn! It was a bummer! When we came back more as teenagers or adults, it was a lot easier to get pictures with them!

There are still some characters that walk around the parks (at least in 98 and 99, Goofy did it and some others "just showed up" at different places).

By having a structured schedule, they guarantee a little bit that everybody could get pictures with them. :animwink:

WDWFanatic

One thing i miss are the older monorails before sliding doors. I loved the crack of all the doors opening at once and everyone jumping out like it was a horse race. Then the monorail operators closing each door one by one. I also miss walking into If You Had Wings presented by Eastern airlines. It was always available to ride. I think it was one of my favorites.

CmdrTostada

I miss the canoes. When i was about six my family went on the canoes. I was so scared I just kept hitting my oar in the water and all the people behind me got wet.:D

jaylenofan86

I remember when I was younger my family would always get food to go and we'd hope on the skyway in MK and we'd eat up in the air looking down on everything. It's too bad that they closed that, but it's undertstandable with all the hurricanes and such. Oh well... *sigh*
It didn't close down because of that. The ADA wanted disabled guests to have a chance to ride the Skway. But, this ment that Disney needed to change the cabins and the station to accommodate this. Disney didn't want to spend so much money, so they took the Skyway down in DL first, then came WDW.

DisJosh

Originally posted by jaylenofan86
It didn't close down because of that. The ADA wanted disabled guests to have a chance to ride the Skway. But, this ment that Disney needed to change the cabins and the station to accommodate this. Disney didn't want to spend so much money, so they took the Skyway down in DL first, then came WDW.

Whatever the reason was I wasn't exactly sad to see them go. They had that cheesy low budget amusement park look. And like I said they didn't look too safe. :D lol

DisJosh

Ok I've thought about this for a while...

I have to say I really miss Horizons mostly because you could choose your own ending. Although towards the end of it's operating days the ending you picked didnt always appear.

I loved Backstage Pass at MGM too...

jaylenofan86

Yes, they were unsafe too. Someone opened the cabin door and fell out at DL back in 1994! He tried to sue Disney saying at was their fault! Also, I miss Horizons so much too!

cuteypatooty78

When I went to WDW in 85' my favorite ride was Horizons...I was 7 at the time! I loved it so much I went on it again in 89'. I was sad to hear recently that Horizons is no longer there. :( I also really liked the original JIYI ride I was amazed that after all these years I remembered the theme song!!! I didn't remember much of the ride inside until I watched a video of it from Digital-Disney website...I can't wait to ride the new version! :)

stepharoni

I sadly miss the Skyway. It was such a romantic and private little venture. It's too bad a few people had to ruin it for everybody else. I also miss the corny If You Had Wings and the old Tiki Room. But the new AstroOrbiter and Buzz are great. Ooh ooh and I miss Mr. Toad, too. Just saw his car on eBay auction.:(

DisJosh

Originally posted by cuteypatooty78
Can someone tell me why they got rid of Mr. Toads Wild Ride? My brother said it was fun!!! I would never go on it as a kid :)

I think the only real reason for getting rid of Mr. Toads Wild Ride was because that kids today aren't really familliar with the Wind in the Willows story. So they brought in the ever so popular Pooh Bear. I've rode both...I personally liked Mr. Toads Wild Ride better even though I grew up on both Pooh and Mr. Toad.

I would have loved to ride MTWR one last time because the last time I rode was at least a good 7 or 8 years ago. :(

all_good_chic

I would have to say horizons because it was my favourite ride when i was 8 years old. HOw many kids would choose horizons over space mountain? but anywho i loved those huge movie screens because they made you feel as though you were flying. Oh how i miss horizons!:)

cuteypatooty78

I know what'cha mean...my favorite part of Horizons was the scene of the underwater restaraunt...I always thought how cool that would be if there were such a thing:) Yep, nothing could have compared to Horizons in my book:)

disneydawn

Wow what memories you are bringin up! GREAT THREAD!

I have to agree: the old Tiki Room, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, HORIZONS (loved the orange smell), 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (seriously!), and If You Had wings....wow that was so cheesy, but we could get right on! Never a line!

I also remember the great arcade in the Cont. Resort...I went looking for it in 2000 & it wasnt anywhere near what it used to be! Then again, gone are the days of Pac Man!!!:lol:

DisneyWorld30th

Original Poster
Anyone remember what was in the 360 degree theater before TimeKeeper? Was it Magic Journies? Is so, please remind me what that show was about!?!

Tramp

Remember when....

...the Magic Kingdom was the ONLY park and it was open til 1am...and the Main Street stores closed at 2am?

...do you remember when tickets were required for all the rides...?
do you believe that blasted 'It's a Small World" was an "E" ticket?

Do you remember the 'OLD' railroad station in Frontierland across from Pecos Bills?

...I should dig out all the old memorabilia cuz I'm sure I've forgotten what I can't remember...:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom