Relative price of resales

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
Why do some DVC resales cost more per point than others? Below are samples prices I saw on one resale website.

BLT: $90/pt
BC: $77/pt
AKL: $68/pt
BW: $64/pt
SS: $64/pt
OKW: $57/pt

In general, I think I understand most of these prices. The new BLT is next to MK and BC is near Epcot, so it makes sense that these cost more. I believe OKW is the oldest, so it makes sense that it is the least expensive. However, I was surprised that BW is closer in price to OKW than to BC. Why does BW seem to cost less than the apparently similar BC? Is BC simply more popular?

bgraham34

Most OKW contracts end in 2042 hence the lower price per point.
BC is a smaller resort and is extremely popular with DVC members and such causes a higher price.
BLT is the highest because its a new resort and because of its proximity to MK. Basically walking distance.

slappy magoo

I'm kinda surprised Boardwalk is that low, myself. But another reason for the price disparity between Boardwalk & Beach Club, beyond the possibility that there are more Boardwalk rooms (or at least more currently in resale to affect the price) is Stormalong Bay. The Boardwalk pool is really nice, but the pool Beach Club Villas share with the resort proper and Yacht Club is of "a whole nother" level.

Also, generally speaking, the prices for different resale contracts will fluctuate based on how many points are in the contract. Quite frankly, it will be easier to sell a contract with fewer points than one with, say, 250 or more. Even at the currently low prices, a contract with a lot of points is still expensive for most people to buy. And most people who are savvy enough to look for DVC resale points probably already have points and are looking to supplement what they have; they're less apt to be newbies. So while a contract for 300 BLT points will be more expensive per point than 300 Boardwalk points, that contract of 300 Boardwalk points will also be cheaper than a contract for 100 Boardwalk points.

harryk

How much is price per point as relates to length of contract and location of DVC unit? BWV is well into its 40 year run while BCV is not. But then again look at AKV pricing and they are on a 50 year contract, I believe - but they are a distant ride when it comes to getting around the World.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
As I have told people that ask, buy where you want to stay when in comes to buying DVC. So the places that people want to stay cost more than the others.

slappy magoo

You mention "currently low prices". Are DVC units selling for lower than "normal" prices? Is there is a webpage listing historical data?

I can only speak anecdotally (sp?) - over the years I do from time to time check on resale prices, always thinking about adding on some points at a different resort if my budget permits. Just a few years ago, before BLT was open to the public (and at least before you started seeing BLT points on resale boards), it was not uncommon to see Boardwalk/Wilderness Lodge points in the $80s and Beach Villa points in the low $90s, what few AKV points they were were often in the low-to-mid-$90s, too. Even OKW and SSR were usually in the high $60s-low-to-mid-$70s. This is just my own speculation - while I'm sure a big reason for the drop in price is the drastic recession and currently fragile recovery, I wonder if a part of all the other resorts dropping in price is the desirability of BLT, and the sudden glut of BLT points, which would be a combination of the recession AND regular old buyers' remorse (it IS the newest resort, such resales isn't a strange thing as people realize they're not going to Disney as much as they thought they would or don't like BLT as much as they hoped or realize that the expense was more than they thought they could handle).

Blueliner

Why do some DVC resales cost more per point than others? Below are samples prices I saw on one resale website.

BLT: $90/pt
BC: $77/pt
AKL: $68/pt
BW: $64/pt
SS: $64/pt
OKW: $57/pt

In general, I think I understand most of these prices. The new BLT is next to MK and BC is near Epcot, so it makes sense that these cost more. I believe OKW is the oldest, so it makes sense that it is the least expensive. However, I was surprised that BW is closer in price to OKW than to BC. Why does BW seem to cost less than the apparently similar BC? Is BC simply more popular?

My family is relatively new to DVC, having bought resale at the Boardwalk last year. I studied the listing prices for resale contracts on the Timeshare Store pretty vigorously for about two years before we finally pulled the trigger. I think you are right that, generally speaking, Beach Club sells at a higher price than Boardwalk. I would agree with those that have pointed out the supply/demand issue and the amenities issue (Stormalong Bay) as the key factors when comparing Beach Club and Boardwalk.

However, I think it is difficult to generalize based on the list price for points, regardless of the resort. Others already have pointed out that the per-point price on a particular listing might be influenced by the number of points in the contract. Additionally, in my situation, the contract we ended up purchasing had 240 banked points, plus another 240 points coming within 4 months of closing. In essence, we got a huge "head start" on points with our particular contract, which had a higher listing price than some of the other contracts where, for example, no points would be available until the 2012 use year. All those things make each resale contract unique as compared to a contract bought straight from Disney.

Ultimately, we wanted Boardwalk because we loved the feel of the resort, loved the Keister Coaster, and wanted the ability to book "standard" rooms at a lower point value. We did just stay at the Beach Club for a few nights in March, and it is an awesome resort. I definitely see the appeal. However, there does not appear to be any hidden peril to buying at Boardwak instead of Beach Club. It's simply a matter of what you're looking for. We love the Boardwalk and have no regrets whatsoever.

Blueliner

We avoided the DVC in the past because, with 4 children, we needed 2-bedroom suites, which required a lot of points. It always seemed cheaper to get 2 connecting rooms, esepcially when there were discounts. As the kids get older and begin to move on, our needs are downsizing and we are seriously considering taking the DVC plunge for the first time.

We have five kids, so we were in the same boat. We were very much a "value/moderate room" family all the way up until we purchased points at the Boardwalk. With our lodging needs, my math indicated that it was almost exactly a wash between buying points/paying annual dues v. reserving connecting rooms at a value resort. Key assumptions were that: 1) we were spreading the initial purchase price over the life of the contract; and 2) that increases in annual dues would approximate increases in room prices over the life of the contract. Of course, we also are giving up potential room and dining discounts. At the end of the day, I think we likely are paying a little more with DVC, but we also are getting a lot more.

I cannot stress enough how much we have enjoyed the 2BR villas so far. As compared to two connecting rooms, the 2BR villas feel palacial. Everyone in our family is so much more relaxed when they have some personal space. Moreover, while we thought the values and moderates were great, the deluxe resorts feel like destinations in and of themselves. In fact, when we were at the Beach Club last month, we did not even go to the theme parks (although we went to Blizzard Beach for a day). I think the peace of mind that comes with having "pre-paid" for the vacations helps us relax even when we're in the parks, knowing that if we miss something we'll be back before long.

Then, when the kids grow up, we can stay in the studios either more often or for longer periods of time.

Phonedave

You mention adding points at a different resort. Exactly how does this work? For example, can I have 160 points at the Boardwalk and 50 points at the Anaimal Kingdom? If I have this, do I get to "share" the points between the two and book 11 months in advance at both resorts (assuming I have the points available)?

No. You will have two seperate contracts.

You can use 160 at BWV 11 months out and you can use 50 at AKL 11 months out. You cannot combine the two.

You can of course book 50 at AKL 11 months out, and then try to add on to it at the 7 month window with the rest of your points.

-dave

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Thanks, this is really useful information. I only started seriously looking at DVC in the past week and have no idea if current resale prices are "good" or "bad". We are very sure we'd go with a resale, wanting an Epcot resort as our home. At this point, my DW and I are really leaning towards the Boardwalk.

You mention adding points at a different resort. Exactly how does this work? For example, can I have 160 points at the Boardwalk and 50 points at the Anaimal Kingdom? If I have this, do I get to "share" the points between the two and book 11 months in advance at both resorts (assuming I have the points available)?

No. You will have two seperate contracts.

You can use 160 at BWV 11 months out and you can use 50 at AKL 11 months out. You cannot combine the two.

You can of course book 50 at AKL 11 months out, and then try to add on to it at the 7 month window with the rest of your points.

-dave

Another consideration is your use year. I would try to always keep the same use year even across multiple contracts and/or resorts. That way, you at least receive all of your points at the same time, which is handy for the 7 month banking window.

jpittore1

split points

You can only book 11 months in advance for your home resort and use points that are available to you. Example: If you have a contract with 50 points with a January use year at Animal Kingdom and 100 points with a June use year at Aulani in Hawaii, you can book a room at Animal Kingdom for 150 points 11 months in advance. You have to have the points past their use year month or banked.

dreamscometrue

I spoke with a very helpful DVC reseller yesterday. I don't remember the exact numbers but I think she mentioned that BCV has 210 units while BWV has 385 units.

You always have to be careful when the number of rooms are quoted. Often the number is expressed as '2 bedroom equivalents', but other times it will simply be the number of doors, which is different. (This is because a dedicated 2 bedroom has one door, but a 'lock off' 2 bedroom has 2 doors, so it can be used as a 1 bedroom and a studio.)

The DVC News website has all this info under 'Resort Information', and even has a wonderful 'room finder' feature that tells room type, view, etc. With respect to the BCV and BWV, that site states the following info:

Beach Club Villas-Rooms:208 (max 282)

Dedicated Studio:36
Dedicated One Bedroom:20
Dedicated Two Bedroom:78
Lockoff Two Bedroom (Each can be booked separately as One Bedroom + Studio)74

(The 74 lockoff 2 bedrooms can be split into 148 rooms...74 one bedrooms and 74 studios, which creates the range stated on the site...208-282 rooms.)

Boardwalk Villas-Rooms:383 (max 532)

Dedicated Studio:97
Dedicated One Bedroom:130
Dedicated Two Bedroom:0
Lockoff Two Bedroom (Each can be booked separately as One Bedroom + Studio)149
Three Bedroom Grand Villa:7

Hope this helps :wave:

slappy magoo

Thanks, this is really useful information. I only started seriously looking at DVC in the past week and have no idea if current resale prices are "good" or "bad". We are very sure we'd go with a resale, wanting an Epcot resort as our home. At this point, my DW and I are really leaning towards the Boardwalk.

First of all...you're welcome :)

I know some other people have answered your main question - in your scenario, you can book your 160 points at Boardwalk 11 months before your planned arrival date and your 60 Animal Kingdom points 11 months out at Animal Kingdom...but you can use your Animal Kingdom points at Boardwalk 11 months in advance, or vice versa.

In this scenario, here is what *I* would recommend - DVC members always have the ability to bank up to a year's worth of points AND "borrow" a year's worth of points. I'd always be in the process of banking and borrowing your Animal Kingdom points, so every 3 years, you have 150 points to use there.

So year 1 - bank your VAK points, stay at Boardwalk. Maybe borrow some of NEXT year's Boardwalk points for a longer stay.

Year 2 - Borrow your VAK points, you now have 150 VAK points to play with. If you want a longer stay than what 150 points provides you, use some of that year's Boardwalk points; you'd have to use them at Boardwalk, if you're booking 11 months in advance, but you can always try to switch them to VAK at the 7 month window, or switch all your points to one other DVC resort at the 7-month window. Bank the rest of that year's Boardwalk points.

Year 3 - you already used this year's Animal Kingdom points in Year 2, but you also banked some of your Boardwalk points from Year 2, so you have those points AND all of this year's Boardwalk points for this year's trip(s).

Lather, rinse, repeat every 3 years.

Pioneer Hall

Thanks for all the help! I have one more question. What are the DVC benefits when NOT staying onsite? For example, discounts at restaurants? What about Extra Magic Hours? Are DVC members sometimes offered discounts on cruises?

If you aren't staying at a resort you can still take advantage of merchandise, food, tour discounts, etc by showing your membership card. Extra magic hours are only offered to resort guests, so if you aren't staying with Disney at the time you can't take advantage.

tjkraz

You can only book 11 months in advance for your home resort and use points that are available to you. Example: If you have a contract with 50 points with a January use year at Animal Kingdom and 100 points with a June use year at Aulani in Hawaii, you can book a room at Animal Kingdom for 150 points 11 months in advance. You have to have the points past their use year month or banked.

If you are inferring that Aulani points can be used to book AKV at 11 months just because you own other points at AKV, that is INCORRECT. DVC tracks the home resort of every point owned and you can only use your ownership at a given resort to book 11 months prior to arrival.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom