News Reimagined Toontown coming

CJR

I'm sure the roller coaster will be staying - but hopefully - they don't remove all the water features and theming. In FL, I prefer the original Goofy's Wiseacre Farm compared to the Great Goofini. It felt like the took out all the three dimensional props and replaced them with cutouts.

Gadget's Go Coaster was always better than both of them, although I did find Barnstormer more comfortable to sit in. If they made any enhancements, larger seats would be nice.

Phroobar

I'm sure the roller coaster will be staying - but hopefully - they don't remove all the water features and theming. In FL, I prefer the original Goofy's Wiseacre Farm compared to the Great Goofini. It felt like the took out all the three dimensional props and replaced them with cutouts.

Gadget's Go Coaster was always better than both of them, although I did find Barnstormer more comfortable to sit in. If they made any enhancements, larger seats would be nice.
I'd like to see the squirting fish and the mechanism for the ride lift hill work again at Gadgets.

brb1006

The Cuphead show looks better.
I'm still waiting on the upcoming HBO Max series "Tooned Out" starring Christopher Lloyd.
EIFumMjUEAAIIHl.jpg

Sharon&Susan

I think the Gadget theme is dead toast now that Chip N' Dale's treehouse will no longer be there to anchor it that back portion of Toontown as the "tiny residents" section.

Since it's so close to the Duck's boat, retheming it to one/multiple member(s) of the Duck's family would make sense, but I'll probably be wrong on that prediction...

wtyy21

"As we previously shared, Mickey’s Toontown in Disneyland park will soon begin its transformation into a vibrant symphony of sights, sounds, and sensations with some all-new experiences, more play and interactivity for our guests, with a focus on families and young children. To begin this work, Mickey’s Toontown will be closed beginning March 9, 2022, and will reopen in early 2023, alongside the new attraction, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway.

If you want to see Mickey’s Toontown one more time before the reimagining begins, be sure to visit between now and March 8! As a reminder, both a theme park ticket and park reservation for the same park and the same date are required for park entry.

But don’t worry if you can’t make it before then — when Mickey’s Toontown reopens in 2023, it will still be home to favorite attractions such as Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin, Mickey’s House and Minnie’s House! Plus, other attractions will be reimagined in new and exciting ways, including Gadget’s Go Coaster, Goofy’s House and Donald’s Boat."

I still think that once Toontown reopens with all new reimagined attractions, it will affect fireworks launch site.

PiratesMansion

While I'm not in the target audience whatsoever, Gadget's was about as perfect as a ride like that could be. Great setting, approachable, fun, something I could tie directly back to my first ever Disneyland visit.

Even if it's just being rethemed and isn't outright removed, it's hard for me not to be bummed about that. I guess there's still Tokyo, assuming we're ever let back into Japan again.

So is Roger Rabbit still being rethemed or not? I thought the retheme was a lock, but more current press releases make it sound like it might just stay the same.

FerretAfros

A brief timeline:
  • March 4, 1989: Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers debuts on The Disney Channel, and introduces Gadget Hackwrench to audiences
  • November 19, 1990: the final new episode of Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers airs on The Disney Channel
  • Reruns continue to air, but end around 1993, after which the show's original characters quickly fade into obscurity
  • January 24, 1993: Gadget's Go-Coaster opens at Disneyland as part of the new Mickey's Toontown
  • April 15, 1996: Gadget's Go-Coaster opens at Tokyo Disneyland as part of the new Toontown
  • Decades pass, and the character of Gadget becomes increasingly irrelevant. Guests often confuse the coaster's namesake for Inspector Gadget, another animated show whose original run ended decades earlier
  • February 15, 2022: the first trailer for the Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers film reboot is released, with a scheduled release of May 20, 2023
  • February 17, 2022: Disney announces that Gadget's Go-Coaster is closing to be "reimagined," reopening in "early 2023"
Given what we've seen in the trailer thus far (heavy focus on meta-commentary about the animation industry, almost no Gadget), it's hard to imagine they're incorporating elements from the film into the attraction. Instead, they're likely swapping the theme out entirely, in favor of something with more long-lasting appeal.

However the timing makes it really odd, given that for a brief moment here, Gadget will be more relevant than she's been in the 3 decades since the attraction first opened. If ever there was a time that the original outdated theme would make sense, it's right now. Yet, this is when they decide to finally ditch the original theme and move in another direction.

This would be almost as crazy as permanently closing the Country Bear Jamboree at Disneyland just months before a splashy Hollywood movie based on it is released. But they would never do something like that...

Phroobar

The Country Bear thing was exactly what I was thinking. I just hope it doesn't turn into the Great Goofini or something stupid like that. Maybe it is something Gyro Gearloose built for Gizmoduck?

SoCalDisneyLover

My prediction, fwiw, is Toontown & Runaway Railway will open in mid-June 2023.

Watch for them to raise Key prices just before the 1 year mark, because they'll want to make sure that anyone who is going to have access to the ride in a year's time, is paying the higher Key price.

PiratesMansion

My prediction, fwiw, is Toontown & Runaway Railway will open in mid-June 2023.

Watch for them to raise Key prices just before the 1 year mark, because they'll want to make sure that anyone who is going to have access to the ride in a year's time, is paying the higher Key price.
Given that there's been, from what I can see, nothing but complaints about the Key program, they'd best read the room and fix it before they raise the prices. Otherwise people may choose to bail en masse.

I know they're obtuse, but they can't be so obtuse that they're that oblivious to how the program has been received, right?

brb1006

A brief timeline:
  • March 4, 1989: Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers debuts on The Disney Channel, and introduces Gadget Hackwrench to audiences
  • November 19, 1990: the final new episode of Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers airs on The Disney Channel
  • Reruns continue to air, but end around 1993, after which the show's original characters quickly fade into obscurity
  • January 24, 1993: Gadget's Go-Coaster opens at Disneyland as part of the new Mickey's Toontown
  • April 15, 1996: Gadget's Go-Coaster opens at Tokyo Disneyland as part of the new Toontown
  • Decades pass, and the character of Gadget becomes increasingly irrelevant. Guests often confuse the coaster's namesake for Inspector Gadget, another animated show whose original run ended decades earlier
  • February 15, 2022: the first trailer for the Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers film reboot is released, with a scheduled release of May 20, 2023
  • February 17, 2022: Disney announces that Gadget's Go-Coaster is closing to be "reimagined," reopening in "early 2023"
Given what we've seen in the trailer thus far (heavy focus on meta-commentary about the animation industry, almost no Gadget), it's hard to imagine they're incorporating elements from the film into the attraction. Instead, they're likely swapping the theme out entirely, in favor of something with more long-lasting appeal.

However the timing makes it really odd, given that for a brief moment here, Gadget will be more relevant than she's been in the 3 decades since the attraction first opened. If ever there was a time that the original outdated theme would make sense, it's right now. Yet, this is when they decide to finally ditch the original theme and move in another direction.

This would be almost as crazy as permanently closing the Country Bear Jamboree at Disneyland just months before a splashy Hollywood movie based on it is released. But they would never do something like that...
You forgot Gadget's apperance in the DuckTales reboot.

CaptinEO

A brief timeline:

Honestly after seeing that awful trailer for the Robot Chicken Parody esque movie of Rescue Rangers from the writers of SNL's "d*ck in a box", if anything it proves Disney does not care at all about The Rescue Rangers IP.

Heck they just threw it to an adult comedian to make a parody movie of, they are clearly done with it, them getting rid of the ride only makes sense to me, they clearly see Rescue Rangers as a joke.

Dear Prudence

While I'm not in the target audience whatsoever, Gadget's was about as perfect as a ride like that could be. Great setting, approachable, fun, something I could tie directly back to my first ever Disneyland visit.

Even if it's just being rethemed and isn't outright removed, it's hard for me not to be bummed about that. I guess there's still Tokyo, assuming we're ever let back into Japan again.

So is Roger Rabbit still being rethemed or not? I thought the retheme was a lock, but more current press releases make it sound like it might just stay the same.
As of this morning, it was reported that Roger Rabbit stays, Mickey and Minnie's houses are staying, but Donald's boat, Goofy's Bounce House, and the Chip and Dale stuff was being ~`*reimagined*`~. Happy that Roger is staying, honestly.

Mac Tonight

Honestly after seeing that awful trailer for the Robot Chicken Parody esque movie of Rescue Rangers from the writers of SNL's "d*ck in a box", if anything it proves Disney does not care at all about The Rescue Rangers IP.

Heck they just threw it to an adult comedian to make a parody movie of, they are clearly done with it, them getting rid of the ride only makes sense to me, they clearly see Rescue Rangers as a joke.
I finally got around to watching the trailer this morning... and yikes.

There is almost NO chance this movie is being marketed towards kids. It's being marketed to the 30-something who vaguely remembers Rescue Rangers from their childhood. Those 30-somethings can "introduce" the characters to their kids if they so choose, but there is just no way this movie is for children.

Dear Prudence

I finally got around to watching the trailer this morning... and yikes.

There is almost NO chance this movie is being marketed towards kids. It's being marketed to the 30-something who vaguely remembers Rescue Rangers from their childhood. Those 30-somethings can "introduce" the characters to their kids if they so choose, but there is just no way this movie is for children.
How does anyone vaguely remember Rescue Rangers? That stuff was seared into my brain. Do I know my own social off the top of my head? Heck no. But do I know "The Best of Everything" from Rescue Rangers by heart? ABSOLUTELY.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom