News Reimagined Toontown coming

Sailor310

..leverage Disney’s powerful brand, develop new stories and share even more magical IMMERSIVE experiences with our guests," per Josh's quote.

mickEblu

I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet on Roger's fate yet. I think "fun new space" is a poorly worded way to refer to anything in Toontown beyond what they've revealed today to be used as a generic answer for any questions they receive today.

Not to say it couldn't happen of course, but I'm skeptical that Disney is trying to tell us it right now.

I’ll take that bet. “Fun new space” in conjunction with the concept art to me says it’s as good as gone. We know they don’t care about the Roger IP. It’s not a classic Disney property. It’s just some “80s/ 90s fad” they can replace with a new D+ show. Or at least something that makes more sense in MICKEYS Toontown.

It’s gone y’all. Get your last rides in.

mickEblu

It would make sense to space the opening of the two rides apart by a year or two. But then, where does a Splash reopen fit in?

So we'd have MMRR 2023. Splash's replacement 2024, and a Roger Rabbit replacement 2025?

That would be my bet. Or perhaps PATF 2025 and Roger replacement 2026 if you consider they may not start work on Splash until early 2023 if they don’t want Roger and Splash down at the same time but then again they had TL down for what 2 years in the 90s? And this was without the extra capacity of DCA and GE.

mickEblu

I wonder what they would/could make it into that would be cool for toon town? I love RR but I could see it getting axed for another ride or restaurant. Maybe something like the drive in sci fi theater in DHS but with a cartoon theme instead of sci fi of course.

Also it seems like there may be a pathway from TT to GE, if so thats a really long walk so I wonder how it would be themed? Or it could be access for backstage as well I suppose

Losing Roger for a some dumb interactive area with screens or for a meet n greet type thing would be terrible. A Toontown themed Sci Fi Dine In theatre? I could see the silver lining there.

TP2000

..leverage Disney’s powerful brand, develop new stories and share even more magical IMMERSIVE experiences with our guests," per Josh's quote.

That didn't help. It makes it worse. 🤣

Here's an immersive little corner. Are these the new Genie+ machines?

genie.jpg

TP2000

It’s gone y’all. Get your last rides in.

I don't know. They already announced the Jessica overlay, but only because they were sloppy enough to start removing her from the ride like the bad girl that she is. (Or that HR thinks she is)

When you look at this overall plan, even with Josh's smarmy announcement, all this really is about is a reworking of Toontown walkways and access points to accomodate a high-capacity E Ticket where none existed. They need to rework the movement of crowds within the land, and thus rework the placement of facilities and infrastructure and access points.

They've dressed it up with some new eye candy, to replace interactive attractions from 1992 that closed almost 20 years ago and have sat unused since then. They've dressed it up with some new landscaping, and reworked entry points to what attractions and rides from 1992 that will remain in 2023.

And they've clearly got some sort of ride still happening in the Roger Rabbit building, while repurposing the abandoned trolley barn next door for additional queue space.

In short, this Toontown Makeover isn't really that big of a deal.

It's a fairly cheap project driven by industrial engineering concerns instead of "immersive new storytelling". And I think Roger Rabbit is safe, although he'll be neutered and morphed into a Jessica-centered storyline that never existed and probably won't be much fun. But at least it will still spin!

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Isn't it?

It was just a little "barn" where the trolley's were stored, and charged up overnight and maintained as noted by the J.T. in this photo. And it sits directly next to the queue portion of the Roger Rabbit ride building, as noted by the R.R.

View attachment 600894

I imagine the plus side to all this is that Roger Rabbit gets a better/bigger queue designed for the Genie+ era, and they finally remove all the ankle-breaker abandoned trolley tracks throughout Toontown.
I think you're pushing a false narrative here.....just not on purpose ;).

If you look at the art again:

1637016937833.png

That second story overhang between the GAG entrance and the turret-shaped roof is actually there:

1637017005648.png

The artwork is just skewed a bit and also turned at an angle. I do not believe the ride entrance is going where the barn doors are.

This is my take and could be wrong. I think that Roger Rabbit was intentionally left out of the news and concept art on purpose. This was the last sentence of the blog:

"Mickey’s Toontown will close in March of 2022 to begin creating these all-new experiences. We will have lots more detail to share with you in the future, so stay TOONED to the Disney Parks Blog for updates!"

They want to reveal things as they go so they have more news later to share. I believe the plans will move forward to retheme Roger Rabbit into a Jessica Rabbit-centric attraction, but they just don't want to reveal that yet. When things started moving forward with minor changes on the attraction, the press started pressing Disney about it and forced their hand to reveal some stuff early. My guess is they are still working on finalizing the concept and will reveal the final concept sometime next year.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Goodbye Roger. Not that the ride ever did the film any justice. Queue was cool though. And it was cool to have your favorite movie of all time being represented at the park. If not favorite, Top 5 for sure.

“Fun new space.” Yikes. That doesn’t even sound like a ride. Are they doing us the way WDW did Snow White?
My guess is Roger will get a layover more in line with DL’s Snow White than WDW’s. I.e. not a full removal but “updates” to show scenes which while unnecessary won’t change the nature of the fact it’s still a spinning blacklit ride.

Cartoon spin will remain in some form with updated effects/projection mapping and possibly a new conclusion to the story that centers on PI Jessica Rabbit as the lead. As @TP2000 noted I suspect a queue update and preshow too.

While I’m still not a fan of changing RRCT I could see them favoring a more generic “Cartoon Spin” overlay that takes guests through various scenes/animated shorts. Possibly with cameos from the 3 little pigs, Oswald, Clairabelle cow, etc. (in addition to Roger) and other miscellaneous characters that have to be saved from the Weasles by PI Jessica. Better than removing it all together, I suppose.

TP2000

View attachment 600898

That second story overhang between the GAG entrance and the turret-shaped roof is actually there:

View attachment 600899

The artwork is just skewed a bit and also turned at an angle. I do not believe the ride entrance is going where the barn doors are.

This is my take and could be wrong. I think that Roger Rabbit was intentionally left out of the news and concept art on purpose. This was the last sentence of the blog:

"Mickey’s Toontown will close in March of 2022 to begin creating these all-new experiences. We will have lots more detail to share with you in the future, so stay TOONED to the Disney Parks Blog for updates!"

They want to reveal things as they go so they have more news later to share. I believe the plans will move forward to retheme Roger Rabbit into a Jessica Rabbit-centric attraction, but they just don't want to reveal that yet. When things started moving forward with minor changes on the attraction, the press started pressing Disney about it and forced their hand to reveal some stuff early. My guess is they are still working on finalizing the concept and will reveal the final concept sometime next year.

I love it! You are probably right.

Although, if they wanted to add more queue and/or indoor pre-show area to Jessica's reworked ride, the trolley barn is just sitting there next door empty.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Also, I'm not too proud to say I was wrong. I pushed for a long time that the entrance to MMRR was going to be at the city hall and this artwork absolutely confirms its location, although the construction pretty much confirmed that a few months ago.

Disney Analyst

View attachment 600898

View attachment 600899

You are correct, the blue turret like structure is still there in the concept, as is the steepled red brick entrance.

The old trolley barn isn't even in the concept.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I think those are strollers in the above pic, not Genie+ machines. You know, those lovely things that really bolster the immersive storytelling of Tomorrowland and New Orleans Square.

I’d love to see a similar sprucing up of Tom Sawyer Island. I doubt Disney will ever touch it unless there is some abrasive IP to promote, but imagine a revamping of TSI from its current status as a washed up, mostly non-functional 1950s playground exclusively for small children into a beautiful, low-key park area filled with gardens and grass and benches where families can take a break from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the park. Add a stand selling overpriced lemonade and the shareholders will be thrilled.

Disney Analyst

Also, I'm not too proud to say I was wrong. I pushed for a long time that the entrance to MMRR was going to be at the city hall and this artwork absolutely confirms its location, although the construction pretty much confirmed that a few months ago.

I also really thought it would be City Hall.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
My guess is Roger will get a layover more in line with DL’s Snow White than WDW’s. I.e. not a full removal but “updates” to show scenes which while unnecessary won’t change the nature of the fact it’s still a spinning blacklit ride.

Cartoon spin will remain in some form with updated effects/projection mapping and possibly a new conclusion to the story that centers on PI Jessica Rabbit as the lead. As @TP2000 noted I suspect a queue update and preshow too.

While I’m still not a fan of changing RRCT I could see them favoring a more generic “Cartoon Spin” overlay that takes guests through various scenes/animated shorts. Possibly with cameos from the 3 little pigs, Oswald, Clairabelle cow, etc. (in addition to Roger) and other miscellaneous characters that have to be saved from the Weasles by PI Jessica. Better than removing it all together, I suppose.
If I'm not mistaken, this is the official artwork the news sites and bloggers are passing around:

1637018445797.png

It does say Disney/Amblin on the bottom right, so we must assume it is official? I think the attraction will be about Jessica chasing after the weasels.

mickEblu

I don't know. They already announced the Jessica overlay, but only because they were sloppy enough to start removing her from the ride like the bad girl that she is. (Or that HR thinks she is)

When you look at this overall plan, even with Josh's smarmy announcement, all this really is about is a reworking of Toontown walkways and access points to accomodate a high-capacity E Ticket where none existed. They need to rework the movement of crowds within the land, and thus rework the placement of facilities and infrastructure and access points.

They've dressed it up with some new eye candy, to replace interactive attractions from 1992 that closed almost 20 years ago and have sat unused since then. They've dressed it up with some new landscaping, and reworked entry points to what attractions and rides from 1992 that will remain in 2023.

And they've clearly got some sort of ride still happening in the Roger Rabbit building, while repurposing the abandoned trolley barn next door for additional queue space.

In short, this Toontown Makeover isn't really that big of a deal.

It's a fairly cheap project driven by industrial engineering concerns instead of "immersive new storytelling". And I think Roger Rabbit is safe, although he'll be neutered and morphed into a Jessica-centered storyline that never existed and probably won't be much fun. But at least it will still spin!

View attachment 600898

View attachment 600899

Hmmm I’m a little less confident that Roger is a goner after reading these 3 posts. With that said, “Fun new space” is still odd wording for a ride and it’s odd wording for something that they already announced… unless those plans changed or got more ambitious.

mickEblu

Certainly hope Roger survives the land's refurb. It seems a little odd to go through the trouble of updating it at all if the plan is to shut it down permanently in 5 months. Then again, it's not like the work they've done has been super substantial or anything.

If we don't hear anything soon, I'd lean towards Car Toon spin being spared. Maybe with an updated name or something. But I don't think Disney would miss the chance to sell some "last ride" merchandise or upsell coming to the park to ride it before it goes away. The window they'd have to make an announcement regarding this is going to close pretty rapidly so if we hear nothing, no news might be good news.

I think they re just throwing darts in Burbank. Why refurb the Roger sign at all if when they did if they were planning on not only closing the land temporarily but also retheming and renaming the ride?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom