News Reimagined Toontown coming

Castle Cake Apologist

Curious detail... What's up with the 'jack and the beanstalk' vine distinctly running from the mountains into the back of the MMRR entrance?

My guess is this:

hsjguygw4iu2872-1024x576.jpg

EDIT: Oops, I see several others beat me to it. That's what I get for not refreshing a page I loaded hours ago before replying. 🤣

SuddenStorm

Goodbye Roger. Not that the ride ever did the film any justice. Queue was cool though. And it was cool to have your favorite movie of all time being represented at the park. If not favorite, Top 5 for sure.

“Fun new space.” Yikes. That doesn’t even sound like a ride. Are they doing us the way WDW did Snow White?

It also makes you wonder- what was the point of making a big deal about re imagining the Roger Rabbit ride to have Jessica Rabbit as a PI if the ride was just gonna close two years later?

Unless it's not closing and they just didn't think to prepare an answer to the most obvious question you'd get when announcing a Toontown redo.

But also, it's been months and we haven't seen any progress on Jessica's Rabbit's Cartoon Spin other than taking down the marquee and putting a couple barrels in a trunk. So maybe that plan has changed, Roger Rabbit will remain as is until it's closed in a year or two?

J4546

I wonder what they would/could make it into that would be cool for toon town? I love RR but I could see it getting axed for another ride or restaurant. Maybe something like the drive in sci fi theater in DHS but with a cartoon theme instead of sci fi of course.

Also it seems like there may be a pathway from TT to GE, if so thats a really long walk so I wonder how it would be themed? Or it could be access for backstage as well I suppose

Last edited:

mickEblu

It also makes you wonder- what was the point of making a big deal about re imagining the Roger Rabbit ride to have Jessica Rabbit as a PI if the ride was just gonna close two years later?

Unless it's not closing and they just didn't think to prepare an answer to the most obvious question you'd get when announcing a Toontown redo.

But also, it's been months and we haven't seen any progress on Jessica's Rabbit's Cartoon Spin other than taking down the marquee and putting a couple barrels in a trunk. So maybe that plan has changed, Roger Rabbit will remain as is until it's closed in a year or two?

Yea I’m thinking plans changed. We ve seen an example of this recently with the Lightning Lane announcement after creating a new FP distribution area for Spider-Man. It also feels like the Magic Keys came out of nowhere.

I’m guessing based on some info we ve seen today that early 2022 may be the last time we see Roger. Even if they don’t work on it’s replacement until MMRR opens.

SuddenStorm

Yea I’m thinking plans changed. We ve seen an example of this recently with the Lightning Lane announcement after creating a new FP distribution area for Spider-Man. It also feels like the Magic Keys came out of nowhere.

I’m guessing based on some info we ve seen today that early 2022 may be the last time we see Roger. Even if they don’t work on it’s replacement until MMRR opens.

It would make sense to space the opening of the two rides apart by a year or two. But then, where does a Splash reopen fit in?

So we'd have MMRR 2023. Splash's replacement 2024, and a Roger Rabbit replacement 2025?

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet on Roger's fate yet. I think "fun new space" is a poorly worded way to refer to anything in Toontown beyond what they've revealed today to be used as a generic answer for any questions they receive today.

Not to say it couldn't happen of course, but I'm skeptical that Disney is trying to tell us it right now.

DavidDL

Certainly hope Roger survives the land's refurb. It seems a little odd to go through the trouble of updating it at all if the plan is to shut it down permanently in 5 months. Then again, it's not like the work they've done has been super substantial or anything.

If we don't hear anything soon, I'd lean towards Car Toon spin being spared. Maybe with an updated name or something. But I don't think Disney would miss the chance to sell some "last ride" merchandise or upsell coming to the park to ride it before it goes away. The window they'd have to make an announcement regarding this is going to close pretty rapidly so if we hear nothing, no news might be good news.

TP2000

Fun new space?? That sound like a death sentence.

It does. But I think it's just a poorly worded sentence from an intern.

Although, in the concept art they seem to have moved the ride entrance over to the old Trolley barn.

Mickeys-Toontown-Birdseye.jpg

That building has been abandoned for almost twenty years. It was originally the location for the maintenance and storage of the Toontown Jolly Trolley fleet of electrical vehicles. That trolley ride closed around 2003 or so. It would be convenient to use for the adjacent ride's queue, or a new pre-show explaining how Detective Jessica Rabbit (She/Her) is the new star of the show.

MNyPPym8MBmWU5ma5O_KfOJHcISIU8JlJiUfS0M4o3uhAJyHXW_jgJiW7RM5s0lbZCVQpN0beZrnEgu0PjJ0-xg35uEVM4o_hZs2_qeafv0iwoJcSZmGxkGE8E-NyhDJTyDqcYE

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

That building has been abandoned for almost twenty years. It was originally the location for the maintenance and storage of the Toontown Jolly Trolley fleet of electrical vehicles. That trolley ride closed around 2003 or so. It would be convenient to use for the adjacent ride's queue, or a new pre-show explaining how Detective Rabbit (She/Her) is the new star of the show.

MNyPPym8MBmWU5ma5O_KfOJHcISIU8JlJiUfS0M4o3uhAJyHXW_jgJiW7RM5s0lbZCVQpN0beZrnEgu0PjJ0-xg35uEVM4o_hZs2_qeafv0iwoJcSZmGxkGE8E-NyhDJTyDqcYE

It's pretty amazing that in a park as 'compact' and restricted in size as Disneyland, there can still be spaces like this that are unused.

DrAlice

I'm going to be a total wet blanket with this hot take:
I'm guessing that the "tree" in the new park is a fake tree. They've included sculpted roots, etc. for kids to play on in the art. Also, I highly doubt that the grass will be real, wet, muddy, hard-to-maintain actual living plants.

This isn't to say that the overall change won't be positive. I'm just saying, temper your expectations. This announcement sounds more hype than substance. More than anything else, this looks like more "project sparkle" crowd control changes in preparation for MMRR's opening crowds.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
It does. But I think it's just a poorly worded sentence from an intern.

Although, in the concept art they seem to have moved the ride entrance over to the old Trolley barn.

Mickeys-Toontown-Birdseye.jpg

That building has been abandoned for almost twenty years. It was originally the location for the maintenance and storage of the Toontown Jolly Trolley fleet of electrical vehicles. That trolley ride closed around 2003 or so. It would be convenient to use for the adjacent ride's queue, or a new pre-show explaining how Detective Rabbit (She/Her) is the new star of the show.

I wonder Disney could adding new Roger Rabbit attraction as scrapped attraction supposed to be opening at both Disneyland and Disney's Hollywood Studios in 1990s called Toontown Transit, a simulator ride like Star Tours and StormRider.

TP2000

It's pretty amazing that in a park as 'compact' and restricted in size as Disneyland, there can still be spaces like this that are unused.
Isn't it?

It was just a little "barn" where the trolley's were stored, and charged up overnight and maintained as noted by the J.T. in this photo. And it sits directly next to the queue portion of the Roger Rabbit ride building, as noted by the R.R.

Screenshot 2021-11-15 143524.png

I imagine the plus side to all this is that Roger Rabbit gets a better/bigger queue designed for the Genie+ era, and they finally remove all the ankle-breaker abandoned trolley tracks throughout Toontown.

TP2000

I'm sure it will be nice, but it hardly seems like they're going to "...leverage Disney’s powerful brand, develop new stories and share even more magical experiences with our guests," per Josh's quote.

Oh, Gawd. That's not actually what he said on stage, was it? :rolleyes:

And Josh had once shown such promise to be a real human. It sounds like the corporote hive minders got to him and assimilated him. Ah well, it was nice while it lasted.

Toontown has so much potential to be a fun and exciting corner of the park; it was once a hive of activity, but is now a shell of its former self. This announcement feels like they're surrendering and committing to the status quo, rather than pushing the limits and delivering something rewarding.

Agreed. If anyone under 35 knew what the original Toontown was like, and how many interactive attractions it had when it opened in '92, they'd lose their mind.

That said, Toontown needed something. It was an abandoned shell of its former self. It seems like they realize this and are going to try and fix it.

Although I imagine the original concept for this pre-Covid was far more thorough and effective at reinvigorating this sleepy corner of the park.

DLR92

I wonder if the berm would be shrunken a bit to make more room for the park like setting?

I personally hope Disney does not use the current cartoon design of Mickey. Sometime Goofy look like he high on some drugs. LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom