News Reimagined Toontown coming

J4546

yeah but we already know a modified MMRR is coming, and that alone is amazing news to me, its a top notch ride. The refurbishment of TT is just a newly announced bonus that Im happy to see happen, there are a lot of dead spots of TT and hopefully this will bring them back to life. Whatever they do, just getting MMRR is awesome imo

Disney Analyst

yeah but we already know a modified MMRR is coming, and that alone is amazing news to me, its a top notch ride. The refurbishment of TT is just a newly announced bonus that Im happy to see happen, there are a lot of dead spots of TT and hopefully this will bring them back to life. Whatever they do, just getting MMRR is awesome imo

We also know they are taking basically unused space, putting in a grassy area for kids to play, with a new tree focal point... and a new interactive fountain to replace an old fountain.

We don't actually have confirmation that Rogers fountain is being removed.

TP2000

I don't know why people are excited about this. It looks like a complete downgrade and a pruning of dead areas. We aren't gaining any new features or attractions outside of MMRT. We lose two working fountains for one smaller fountain.

I didn't get all the excitement either.

It's apparent this is a needed reworking of the existing space in order to accomodate a new E Ticket pumping out 2,000 (crossed fingers) riders per hour. They simply had to let the industrial designers rework the space to accomodate new crowd patterns and user levels.

Toontown wasn't planned with a 2,000 per hour E Ticket back there, so the area needs redesigned infrastructure.

They also plopped a weird "dreaming tree" in and claimed it was the best thing since New Orleans Square. :rolleyes:

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Like what they did with Pixar Pier being announced and work on that retheme beginning followed up with Bugs land closing not too long after that, I wonder if the push to redo ToonTown could be due to Hollywood land possibly going away in the next year and a half or two. Disneyland Forward is likely to get the green light next year and I wonder if that land will be one of the first things to be redone as a result if they start work not long after it gets approved.

Cesar R M

I'm excited to see Toontown develop, but I also completely understand where other posters are coming from.

Disney has a history of overselling and underdelivering in their most recent projects (see Pixar Pier, Avengers Campus, Galactic Starcruiser). People are understandably hesitant to believe anything Disney says because you can't trust anything at their word; there's tons of speculation at what might be updated for Toontown (ex. new path to SWGE, modified MMRR ride) but until shovel hits the dirt and we actually start to see what's being built there's no guarantee for any of this to be the case.
Remember the last time people were genuinely excited about new announcements from Disney?
Now I think the most usual response is "cautiously optimistic" downgrading to "disappointed" to "looks decent" when its delivered.

mickEblu

People are “excited” that the genesis of this visually appealing harmless change doesn’t come from the inclusion committee. I mean if we look at the list of the last 10 things announced it’s easy to see why people are pleased with this. Aside from the fact that it’s the cherry on top of a new E ticket. Lol. You know, that small part.

Phroobar

All they are doing is making space for a line for MMRR. There are no new features being added. No new attractions outside of MMRR. It is just crowd control. They aren't fixing Donald's boat to be more interactive. They aren't putting new things in Goofy's house like they did in MK. They might give us a path to GE. The whole thing is a downgrade from what was originally there in the 90s.

Disney Analyst

All they are doing is making space for a line for MMRR. There are no new features being added. No new attractions outside of MMRR. It is just crowd control. They aren't fixing Donald's boat to be more interactive. They aren't putting new things in Goofy's house like they did in MK. They might give us a path to GE. The whole thing is a downgrade from what was originally there in the 90s.

Okay I think you've created a bit of a false narrative regarding this change. No one has been on here praising this like it's the second coming. HOWEVER, people are excited to see ToonTown updated, with a new attraction, and some nice looking new elements to go along with it.

Let's calm it down .... ToonTown has been rotting for a long while, and this is a change in a very positive and welcome direction.

Phroobar

To me it's just like the front entrance to Tomorrowland that we never got. It's not helping the land nor is it hurting it. At least the toddler slides are going away.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Toontown is expanding into the queue and into a headliner ride. It has a much larger footprint than before.

Portraying this as just a paint job is kinda... hyperbolic

mickEblu

Toontown is expanding into the queue and into a headliner ride. It has a much larger footprint than before.

Portraying this as just a paint job is kinda... hyperbolic

What does expanding into the Queue mean?

Much larger? I’m assuming you mean because of the show building? Or are you talking about the foliage between Toontown and FL theatre they’ ll be cutting into?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What does expanding into the Queue mean?

Much larger? I’m assuming you mean because of the show building? Or are you talking about the foliage between Toontown and FL theatre they’ ll be cutting into?
When doesn't the footprint of a land's ride not be included with considering how big a land it is? A land's size isn't determined by the foot path.

The queue, at least the part that doesn't extend outside, will be nicely themed.

Vegas Disney Fan

We also know they are taking basically unused space, putting in a grassy area for kids to play, with a new tree focal point... and a new interactive fountain to replace an old fountain.
Which was the original intention of Toontown, everything in toontown was originally a kids play area, then they all got closed to avoid lawsuits, the grassy play areas will revive that (at least until lawsuits force it to close again).

This isn’t a massive change but it’s a very good one imho.

Phroobar

When doesn't the footprint of a land's ride not be included with considering how big a land it is? A land's size isn't determined by the foot path.

The queue, at least the part that doesn't extend outside, will be nicely themed.
I don't include the show building in the size of the land.

mickEblu

It was an honest question but since you asked, who actually thinks that way? When have you ever heard someone mention how big Adventureland is because of Jungle Cruise and Indiana Jones? The vast majority of people view Adventureland as a tiny walkway of a land and think of the borders of any land based on the actual area they can walk around on foot.

To say Toontown is getting a new E ticket makes sense of course. To say it’s getting bigger when all the new space is in a show building backstage does not IMO. In other words, people are thinking “we re getting a new ride” not “we re getting more Toontown.”

Not to mention historically when it comes to theming (GE and newer lands aside) when one crossed under the ride marquee or at least on said ride vehicle it means you are in that world now. On Pan, when one is riding a ship around Neverland they are in Neverland or if they te bad at suspending disbelief, I’m inside the Peter Pan show building or riding Peter Pan. They re not thinking I’m Still in Fantasyland. So it doesn’t even register with people psychologically.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It was an honest question but since you asked, who actually thinks that way? When have you ever heard someone mention how big Adventureland is because of Jungle Cruise and Indiana Jones? The vast majority of people view Adventureland as a tiny walkway of a land and think of the borders of any land based on the actual area they can walk around on foot. Also for example if the Haunted Mansions show building is part of NOS, why isn’t it on the park map?

To say Toontown is getting a new E ticket makes sense of course. To say it’s getting bigger when all the new space is in a show building backstage does not IMO. Not to mention historically when it comes to theming (GE and newer lands aside) when one crossed under the ride marquee or at least on said ride vehicle it means you are in that world now. On Pan, when one is riding a ship around Neverland they are in Neverland or if they te bad at suspending disbelief, I’m inside the Peter Pan show building or riding Peter Pan. They re not thinking I’m Still in Fantasyland. So it doesn’t even register with people psychologically.
I get what you're saying, and I agree with it for the rest of DL. But in this case with TT, its being extended into MMRR via the queue, at least based on the concept art. We're staying in the world of TT, not being transported into London/Neverland like in your Pan example.

hsjguygw4iu2872-1024x576.jpg

This is why the MMRR in DLR is different than the one in DHS, because we're already in the Toon world via the land. In DHS you're being transported into the Toon world, so your original assessment would be correct for DHS. So in this case I agree with @MisterPenguin , the land is being enlarged via the queue in MMRR.

mickEblu

I get what you're saying, and I agree with it for the rest of DL. But in this case with TT, its being extended into MMRR via the queue, at least based on the concept art. We're staying in the world of TT, not being transported into London/Neverland like in your Pan example.

hsjguygw4iu2872-1024x576.jpg

This is why the MMRR in DLR is different than the one in DHS, because we're already in the Toon world via the land. In DHS you're being transported into the Toon world, so your original assessment would be correct for DHS. So in this case I agree with @MisterPenguin , the land is being enlarged via the queue in MMRR.

That’s not what he’s saying. He’s saying it got “much larger” because he’s including the entire show building as part of Toontown now. I’m just saying that’s not how people view these things. It’s a show building back stage. Not more land we can walk around. But yes you re right because of the theme of this ride in relation to the land it is technically being expanded with the queue. Still doesn’t really register with people that way psychologically though.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That’s not what he’s saying. He’s saying it got “much larger” because he’s including the entire show building as part of Toontown now. I’m just saying that’s not how people view these things. It’s a show building back stage. Not more land we can walk around. But yes you re right because of the theme of this ride in relation to the land it is technically being expanded. Still doesn’t really register with people that way psychologically though.
I get it, its perception versus reality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom