Refurbishment coming to Disney's Grand Floridian Resort lobby

Weather_Lady

Any guess when they lobby will be done? The new discounts that came out for the GF for our trip in Sept have me seriously toying switching.
Reportedly (per a guest on a GF Facebook group who heard it from a Disney wedding planner answering questions from a bride), the GF lobby work is expected to be ongoing at least through July and August. The expectation is that the lobby will technically remain open, with one section at a time being closed off for refurbishment. No word yet on whether monorail access will be affected.

It's conceivable (and even likely, given Disney's penchant for delay) that the lobby work will continue into the fall, but if the work does end up being done in piecemeal fashion, and if there's no impediment to monorail access, it may not have a huge impact on your stay.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
A look around the lobby before the refurb gets underway

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort lobby May 2023​

https://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-grand-floridian-resort-and-spa/gallery/30may2023-disney's-grand-floridian-resort-lobby-may-2023.htm

Disneys-Grand-Floridian-Resort-and-Spa_Full_51820.jpg

Disneys-Grand-Floridian-Resort-and-Spa_Full_51809.jpg

Disneys-Grand-Floridian-Resort-and-Spa_Full_51826.jpg

Disneys-Grand-Floridian-Resort-and-Spa_Full_51829.jpg

nicb88

Now that Chapek has left and the refurbishment is edging nearer, is there any inkling as to how this will go down?

My hope is it’s going to be closer to a refresh and carpet change above all else, as I don’t see the need for drastic reconstruction, but I just don’t know whether I trust the powers that be!

James Alucobond

Now that Chapek has left and the refurbishment is edging nearer, is there any inkling as to how this will go down?

My hope is it’s going to be closer to a refresh and carpet change above all else, as I don’t see the need for drastic reconstruction, but I just don’t know whether I trust the powers that be!
Personally, I’m expecting a shift from the olive-and-rose color scheme to the teal-and-rose we’ve seen elsewhere. Furnishings, carpet, wallpaper, paint, and light fixtures will all very likely be refreshed. If things change structurally, I would imagine the now useless aviary might be targeted, as well as the check-in desk and some of the perimeter planters that block flow. But maybe someone else has actual insight and not just guesses.

Sir_Cliff

Let's see whether the final decorating scheme ends up looking something like this...

1685487515723.png

JohnD

Personally, I’m expecting a shift from the olive-and-rose color scheme to the teal-and-rose we’ve seen elsewhere. Furnishings, carpet, wallpaper, paint, and light fixtures will all very likely be refreshed. If things change structurally, I would imagine the now useless aviary might be targeted, as well as the check-in desk and some of the perimeter planters that block flow. But maybe someone else has actual insight and not just guesses.
You're onto something. I noticed the aviary is on a raised dais, the same level as the elevator. Removing the aviary would allow for the piano and other instruments where a band could play. During the holidays, the piano could be moved back to the center and the gingerbread house placed there. The band returns to its prior location on the upper levels. The point being, removing the aviary allows for multiple uses of that raised dais.

Last edited:

nicb88

If this is as far as they go, I'd consider it a lucky escape. I worry they'll try modernise too much and it'll lose its identity/feel.

nickys

Premium Member
You're onto something. I noticed the aviary is on a raised dais, the same level as the elevator. Removing the aviary would allow for the piano and other instruments where a band could play. During the holidays, the piano could be moved back to the center and the gingerbread house placed there. The band returns to its prior location on the upper levels. The point being, removing the aviary allows for multiple uses of that raised dais.

The orchestra area was removed when the lounge was redone. There isn’t enough space there now. I doubt they are returning, sadly.

James Alucobond

The orchestra area was removed when the lounge was redone. There isn’t enough space there now. I doubt they are returning, sadly.
What, Enchanted Rose? They still had space after that on the first floor, which could easily be reclaimed during the upcoming refurb. I doubt they’ll do it, but there’s nothing stopping them.

nickys

Premium Member
What, Enchanted Rose? They still had space after that on the first floor, which could easily be reclaimed during the upcoming refurb. I doubt they’ll do it, but there’s nothing stopping them.
By first floor are you meaning outside Enchanted Rose or what I’d call ground floor?

They tried the orchestra playing on the same floor as the piano, but the acoustics didn’t work and it was short lived.

James Alucobond

By first floor are you meaning outside Enchanted Rose or what I’d call ground floor?

They tried the orchestra playing on the same floor as the piano, but the acoustics didn’t work and it was short lived.
Yes, ground floor in the corner by the entrance. I don’t know that it was short-lived; it’s just where they were all the way up until the COVID closure.

nickys

Premium Member
Yes, ground floor in the corner by the entrance. I don’t know that it was short-lived; it’s just where they were all the way up until the COVID closure.
They used to be on the balcony until the refurb of Mizners.

The lobby was just the short term measure because the balcony area was lost. But the acoustics just didn’t work well.

James Alucobond

They used to be on the balcony until the refurb of Mizners.

The lobby was just the short term measure because the balcony area was lost. But the acoustics just didn’t work well.
Right, I know. I’m just saying that I’m not sure it’s fair to assess it as short-lived because of the acoustics. It’s because they were eliminated after COVID.

nickys

Premium Member
Right, I know. I’m just saying that I’m not sure it’s fair to assess it as short-lived because of the acoustics. It’s because they were eliminated after COVID.
Neither did I say they were necessarily axed because of the poor acoustics. But it was widely agreed at the time that the new location didn’t work well - and IIRC CMs found it too loud in the lobby.

The band were brought back after Covid but not to the GF. They played at Epcot and DHS before being axed altogether. That to me suggests someone had decided they didn’t want them back at the GF, whatever the reason.

Skywise

Gotcha. Well, remove the aviary and you have space for an orchestra.
I suspect the acoustics would still suck there, though. (Although a larger refurb could do something about that… tiles on the ceiling, etc)

I never realized there were actual birds in the aviary at one time!

Monkee Girl

Just inserting myself into the conversation as I just booked a trip for August 22nd and am staying at the Grand Floridian for the first time in my life (celebrating 20 years at my job and a job promotion starting July 1st) and want to stay current on news. I had no idea it was getting refurbed, haha. I'm excited to stay here but now am wondering if I made a mistake and should have booked Contemporary instead. But my family stayed at the Polynesian during its entire overhaul so this doesn't seem THAT bad, lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom