Refurbishment coming to Disney's Grand Floridian Resort lobby

Skywise

I'm not expecting anything good to come of this.
I thought the Contemporary's Lobby redo was OK but the room remodels were terrible.
I still loathe all the rework done on the Polynesian Lobby and entrance but that's a story for another day.

If all they do is change the carpet I'd be fine - but I suspect this is going to be a floor to ceiling rework, with removing the chandeliers and birdcage and probably redoing the beams and ceilings to look more like a modern hilton (for a victorian-era florida spa...)

Tony the Tigger

I'm not expecting anything good to come of this.
I thought the Contemporary's Lobby redo was OK but the room remodels were terrible.
I still loathe all the rework done on the Polynesian Lobby and entrance but that's a story for another day.

If all they do is change the carpet I'd be fine - but I suspect this is going to be a floor to ceiling rework, with removing the chandeliers and birdcage and probably redoing the beams and ceilings to look more like a modern hilton (for a victorian-era florida spa...)
So we’re guessing now?

pdude81

Does anyone have a ballpark on when this renovation is supposed to happen? We just booked a resort studio for mid July and I don't know if they are trying to wrap up by July 1 or if it's a generic "sometime next year."

James Alucobond

Does anyone have a ballpark on when this renovation is supposed to happen? We just booked a resort studio for mid July and I don't know if they are trying to wrap up by July 1 or if it's a generic "sometime next year."
It doesn't seem like it would be happening this quickly, but I did get bumped from a reservation in the main building in February, supposedly due to upcoming renovations. I'm guessing it's just due to shifting around folks from the outer buildings, though.

Skywise

Guys. The grand Floridian updates have been going great. I know it’s fun to poo on everything, but the room remodels at the GF are fantastic, along with the lobbies of the outer buildings. I don’t have any reason to doubt the main lobby will also be wonderful.
The rooms at the GF are fine (if not a bit sterile/unthemed which is odd given that they went in completely the opposite direction for the Poly and Contemporary refurbs) - but the other updates have, frankly, sucked. They destroyed the orchestra to put in this oddly out of place bar and now want to redo the lobby to match the "new styling" which presumably means match the new bar.

BTW, I'll bet this includes a complete redo (if not the closing of) 1900 Park Faire as that's still not open.

The rooms at the GF are fine (if not a bit sterile/unthemed which is odd given that they went in completely the opposite direction for the Poly and Contemporary refurbs) - but the other updates have, frankly, sucked. They destroyed the orchestra to put in this oddly out of place bar and now want to redo the lobby to match the "new styling" which presumably means match the new bar.

BTW, I'll bet this includes a complete redo (if not the closing of) 1900 Park Faire as that's still not open.
I just don’t agree. I stayed at the GF in November at BPK. The rooms were beautifully done. Classy with just the right touches of “Disney”. The lobby/common area was also tastefully done. If they follow that general model, the main lobby should be an improvement.

Rinx

If the Grand Floridian reaches its 30th anniversary in July then it will be ushering in its 4th decade, not 3rd as the official statement said. 🤦🏽‍♀️ 😂😂
I noticed that too. Just goes to show the type of brains we have going into these projects...

Skywise

I just don’t agree. I stayed at the GF in November at BPK. The rooms were beautifully done. Classy with just the right touches of “Disney”. The lobby/common area was also tastefully done. If they follow that general model, the main lobby should be an improvement.
The lobby/common areas ARE tastefully done and have been relatively the same for the 30 years of the resort (minus removing the orchestra and the Enchanted Rose bar). It's the lobby that's getting the refurb to "be more modern"

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
been relatively the same for the 30 years of the resort
That's the problem. The lobby in its current state is hideously out of date. Honestly, I hope they gut the whole aesthetic just to spite the whiny fans. I'd get quite a joy out of seeing all the essays and meltdowns on this site about the "ruined" theme of a hotel lobby.

UNCgolf

That's the problem. The lobby in its current state is hideously out of date. Honestly, I hope they gut the whole aesthetic just to spite the whiny fans. I'd get quite a joy out of seeing all the essays and meltdowns on this site about the "ruined" theme of a hotel lobby.

This just makes it sound like you hate everything about Disney parks.

"I don't want THEME at my theme parks and resorts!"

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
This just makes it sound like you hate everything about Disney parks.

"I don't want THEME at my theme parks and resorts!"
The older I get the less I care about such things tbh. I'm more content at a place like SWO, Dollywood, or even Hersheypark than a Disney Park lately. But, because WDW has been part of my life since I was 4, you can't really move on. I just find other places more interesting. I personally never got the obsession people have with wanting a themed hotel room. I'm there to sleep and shower, that's it. But, different things for different folks.

Jambo Dad

The older I get the less I care about such things tbh. I'm more content at a place like SWO, Dollywood, or even Hersheypark than a Disney Park lately. But, because WDW has been part of my life since I was 4, you can't really move on. I just find other places more interesting. I personally never got the obsession etc people have with wanting a themed hotel room. I'm there to sleep and shower, that's it. But, different things for different folks.
To each their own - agreed. I am the opposite- I now appreciate the resort more than I did when I was younger. Some days we don’t even do the parks. I also love the variety of the different hotel experiences.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom