News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Bocabear

Think you are intelligent enough to know that isn't what I am saying.

What I am saying is that from that single image of a 1ft section of water feature, there is no way that your following conclusion can be drawn.

"So...looks like it will have water which is a plus but appears it will be a much condensed version...much smaller, cheaper to build and less maintenance..."
I was there and actually saw the dig for the pond...it was early on, but it was all prepped for concrete... I am not basing my remark on that single posted photo... though the rockwork was not in yet. I am hopeful it will have the same ambience as the old arrival but stepped up and more beautiful. The Porte Cochere is looking great, I am not all doom and gloom, but we should be able to discuss our feelings based on what we are seeing, correct? That is the whole point of a discussion board... isn't it? I mean why post any pictures at all if it's not for discussion?

splashtest

dreday3

I know it’s not 100% complete, but It has an industrial vibe to it. With the concrete and metallic decking It looks like a warehouse on the inside. The old station seemed to have more character.

It does seem to have lost it's "tropical" feel.

Definitely not the monorail station of my childhood. :D

nicb88

I know it’s not 100% complete, but It has an industrial vibe to it. With the concrete and metallic decking It looks like a warehouse on the inside. The old station seemed to have more character.
This is why I dislike it. The brown painted metal I can deal with, but the bare concrete platforms are just unpleasant to look at and spoil the entire thing. Unfortunately, I don't see how they can remedy this due to the levels they need to keep for monorail doors etc.

Astro Blaster

This is why I dislike it. The brown painted metal I can deal with, but the bare concrete platforms are just unpleasant to look at and spoil the entire thing. Unfortunately, I don't see how they can remedy this due to the levels they need to keep for monorail doors etc.
Agreed, I think otherwise it looks well done but I miss the wooden plank floor look

Attachments

• C60D2AE6-BCDA-459C-BF4B-927E0AC85287.jpeg
    C60D2AE6-BCDA-459C-BF4B-927E0AC85287.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 184

castlecake2.0

Thé floor looks like it’s missing it’s sealant possibly? I believe all the other stations except MK and Contemporary are also cement flooring, but have a finishing coat/sealant on top. Could also be a safety related change to reduce slippery wooden floors.

hpyhnt 1000

Thé floor looks like it’s missing it’s sealant possibly? I believe all the other stations except MK and Contemporary are also cement flooring, but have a finishing coat/sealant on top. Could also be a safety related change to reduce slippery wooden floors.
I'm not sure about a sealant coming. Seems to me you'd do that before drilling the railings in, plus the platform safety striping is already in place which, again, I'd think a top coat would have gone down first. But I'm not an expert so maybe it's still coming.

Either way, it's baffling they didn't go with a tinted concrete like they do basically everywhere else across the resort. A gray or light brown would have helped the overall appearance immensely.

I do like the lights on the columns though.

castlecake2.0

I'm not sure about a sealant coming. Seems to me you'd do that before drilling the railings in, plus the platform safety striping is already in place which, again, I'd think a top coat would have gone down first. But I'm not an expert so maybe it's still coming.

Either way, it's baffling they didn't go with a tinted concrete like they do basically everywhere else across the resort. A gray or light brown would have helped the overall appearance immensely.

I do like the lights on the columns though.
Could be. Might also be “we need this thing open ASAP, we can do smaller touches on third shift”. Interested to see what happens.

Skywise

Could be. Might also be “we need this thing open ASAP, we can do smaller touches on third shift”. Interested to see what happens.
I get that - but you'd think sealant would be a "must have" before letting tens of thousands of people on it and not a "nice to have" (those are professional project terms btw :p )

And why has no one walked onto the platform and turned their cameras down on the water features!? Inquiring minds wanna know!! :D

lazyboy97o

Any type of sealant or finish is going to have thickness and take a lot more time to install than just a few hours over night.

There are a variety of products that can add grit to an exterior floor finish to prevent slipping. Treatment of wood has also advanced in 50 years, there are products that can convincingly be used as a substitute for wood and even concrete can be stamped or sculpted to mimic wood.

castlecake2.0

Any type of sealant or finish is going to have thickness and take a lot more time to install than just a few hours over night.

There are a variety of products that can add grit to an exterior floor finish to prevent slipping. Treatment of wood has also advanced in 50 years, there are products that can convincingly be used as a substitute for wood and even concrete can be stamped or sculpted to mimic wood.
Pictures on another site show that there’s still lots of active constructions happening on the platform so it’s not impossible that a finish is still coming... hopefully.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom