News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

UNCgolf

I think the unpainted underside is exacerbating the problem by highlighting the construction and exaggerating the thinness of the roof. I'm really hoping they paint it and add the same decorative pattern from the front to each of the gables on the sides. We already know similar decorative paneling will be coming to the monorail platform and staircases from the concept art, so I'm hopeful the appearance will improve significantly even if they don't adjust the thatching in any way. Unfortunately, the artwork makes it impossible to see what color the underside of the roof is intended to be.

I doubt what we're seeing is the finished product -- I can't imagine they'd just leave the bare aluminum (or whatever it is; aluminum is the most likely) there.

Clamman73

?
10B00ED7-E32D-4F82-B534-98830B616E6C.jpeg

James Alucobond

I doubt what we're seeing is the finished product -- I can't imagine they'd just leave the bare aluminum (or whatever it is; aluminum is the most likely) there.
I'm assuming it will be painted similarly to the entrance to Tokelau, which shares a lot architecturally with the new entrance and was also originally this same bare metallic color. It was later painted to look like a lighter contrasting wood, but wood nonetheless.

Chandeliers of this sort appear throughout the resort. Nothing new.

UNCgolf

Not really cheaper. Metal roofs decks are typically steel while aluminum is used more for smaller things like canopies. You also risk galvanic corrosion mixing the two outside.

Steel is usually cheaper than aluminum for roofing -- and people do use aluminum for full roofs. It also depends on the type of steel in use, but they're generally all cheaper than aluminum. Prices fluctuate, of course, but on average you're going to spend less for steel. Copper is typically the most expensive, but that doesn't get used all that often, at least in the southeast.

My father was the president of a commercial roofing company that did a lot of metal roofing.

lazyboy97o

Steel is usually cheaper than aluminum for roofing -- and people do use aluminum for full roofs. It also depends on the type of steel in use, but they're generally all cheaper than aluminum. Copper is typically the most expensive, but that doesn't get used all that often, at least in the southeast.

My father was the president of a commercial roofing company that did a lot of metal roofing.
A roof deck isn’t roofing. A metal roof is going to be attached to a substrate, not providing the actual structural support.

UNCgolf

A roof deck isn’t roofing. A metal roof is going to be attached to a substrate, not providing the actual structural support.

I know.

Obviously I haven't seen the blueprints, but it sure looks it would be roofing attached to a substrate in those photos (there's an underlying frame that the metal is fastened to), with the thatching just a decorative flourish. But I'm not my father, so I certainly don't know for sure.

lazyboy97o

I know.

Obviously I haven't seen the blueprints, but it sure looks it would be roofing attached to a substrate in those photos (there's an underlying frame that the metal is fastened to), with the thatching just a decorative flourish. But I'm not my father, so I certainly don't know for sure.
The assembly can be seen in the pictures. Plywood on metal deck. The thatch is not just a decorative appliqué. It is an approved roofing material that can be used alone as the roof without a solid surface beneath, attached to regularly spaced purlins.

UNCgolf

The assembly can be seen in the pictures. Plywood on metal deck. The thatch is not just a decorative appliqué. It is an approved roofing material that can be used alone as the roof without a solid surface beneath, attached to regularly spaced purlins.

I know thatch can be a roofing material; I just didn't know if Disney was using thatch that's suitable for that purpose or if it was merely decorative. It doesn't really look roofing quality in those photos, at least to me.

I also don't see the plywood in the photos between the roof deck and the thatch in the photos, but I'm taking your word for it. I'm positive you know more about what they're doing than I do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom