News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

SLUSHIE

That's my hope - I also hope they "thatch" the underside too to complete the illusion and not keep the aluminum underside bare.
Maybe its just the color that is throwing you off, but I'm not seeing any bare aluminum. It might not be wood exactly but its planks of some sort or at least made to look like planks.

ImperfectPixie

If anyone is wondering, it’s a whopping 5-7 minute walk from the Ceremonial House to TTC. We had hopes the monorail station would be open for 2nd week in August trip but 🤷‍♀️we’re still coming to enjoy our brand spakin new lagoon view room and our Oasis pool patio with super comfy chairs. Throw in a couple of Spikey Pineapples and this girl is happy!! ☺️🍹🍹🌺
It's about a 7-9 minute walk from the outermost Pirate rooms are at CBR to the main building and restaurants (pre-Riviera) ...and people used to gripe and complain about it all the time. 7 minutes is a snap!

Mark48

Am I the only one who thinks the execution of the thatched roof looks really cheesy?
The ones on Aloha Isle and scattered around Fantasyland look much better. This looks like a cheap umbrella.
I dont know it could just be me though.

View attachment 572231
I agree so far......But we have to give the 4 guys working on all this a break. They are doing
the work of 20 guys !!!

CuteAsMinnie

I think she was being sarcastic. 😉
Lol not really.
...and I hope her sarcasm wasn't aimed at me, for canceling after Disney told me there'd be no monorail, which was simply the "straw that broke the camel's back" for us. I'm many things, but "ignorant of the distance between TTC and the Polynesian" and "afraid of a 5-7 minute walk" are not among them.
Lol no it was not. Just stating facts along with my personal excitement. 🌺

RSoxNo1

People need to start voting with their wallets for this and the Contemporary / Incredibles rooms. When people don't want to sleep on Edna Mode's face or have Hei Hei watching them shower Disney will be forced to change these.

Updates like this to the entire resort make zero sense to me. These types of updates were reserved for part of a moderate resort, not all of a deluxe monorail resort.

I determined years ago that staying on property isn't worthwhile for me and my family, so I understand that I'm not the market for this. But I also find it very hard to believe that people that were willing to pay the exorbitant prices that the Poly and Contemporary command would not have otherwise done so if they weren't slapped in the face with character theming.

Disney doesn't understand, "inspired by" or "subtle" anymore.

UNCgolf

I don't mind the thatching. Both coarser and finer thatches exist. I agree on the bare-looking aluminum, though. Hoping it gets the same dark brown as the other beams and pylons.

It's not the coarseness of the thatching that's the problem to me. It's that it looks like mats were laid on top of an existing roof instead of the thatch functioning as the roof. That is, of course, what it actually is, but it shouldn't look like it is.

I wasn't planning on ever staying at the Polynesian anyway, though, so who cares what I think?

MorphinePrince

Oh dear, that looks really dull.
Britney Spears GIF

Keeping an open mind, though.

James Alucobond

It's not the coarseness of the thatching that's the problem to me. It's that it looks like mats were laid on top of an existing roof instead of the thatch functioning as the roof. That is, of course, what it actually is, but it shouldn't look like it is.
I think the unpainted underside is exacerbating the problem by highlighting the construction and exaggerating the thinness of the roof. I'm really hoping they paint it and add the same decorative pattern from the front to each of the gables on the sides. We already know similar decorative paneling will be coming to the monorail platform and staircases from the concept art, so I'm hopeful the appearance will improve significantly even if they don't adjust the thatching in any way. Unfortunately, the artwork makes it impossible to see what color the underside of the roof is intended to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom