News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

homerdance

Well, after a lot of soul-searching and number-crunching, we have jumped ship! The e-mail from Disney confirming that there'd be no monorail service for our August stay ended up being the last straw. As much as I was looking forward to returning to the Polynesian and being among the first to enjoy the newly-refurbished standard rooms, we had a family meeting tonight and decided that paying a premium to stay at a "monorail resort... except without the monorail" just wasn't worth it. Even though we've only stayed at the Polynesian once before, it's my all-time favorite resort, and I'd hate to have my affections diminished by "seeing her without her makeup on," so we'll wait to go back until our best girl is gussied up and ready for prime time.

We priced out the alternatives (including an Airbnb we'd been holding in reserve, which was super-cheap, but almost as expensive as the onsite options after we added in the current cost of a rental car and parking). Instead of 4 nights in a standard room at the Polynesian with a Disney room-and-ticket package, we'll be spending 4 nights in a Premium Suite at the Dolphin (AAA rate). We'll have twice the square footage, more pools and restaurants to choose from, convenient access to 2 parks instead of 1, regular housekeeping services on request, and will save over $500 to boot, even after we factor in the extra money we'll have to pay to get towncar transportation to the airport. I think at the end of the day we'll be happy with our choice.

I'm waiting for confirmation numbers for the tickets I bought from an authorized reseller, so I can link them to MDE before canceling the Polynesian package. Until next time, pretty Poly!
When did you get an email staging it won't be open? I haven't seen anything confirming non-operation.
TIA

pdude81

When did you get an email staging it won't be open? I haven't seen anything confirming non-operation.
TIA
There were reports here that the monorail station might not open until Sept or so. They still look like they have a lot of work to go on the entrance at this point, plus more paving at ground level. I can't speak to the email PP received though

The good news is that you can still walk to the TTC to get direct monorail to MK or direct to Epcot, given that it will be opening soon. So there is going to be more access... it just won't be at the building you're expecting.

Weather_Lady

TIA
June 28th. It was a boilerplate e-mail from Disney Destinations, expressing excitement about my upcoming arrival and informing me about the effect of "ongoing enhancements." It specifically said that monorail service would remain suspended during my stay (although boat and bus service would be available and the walking path to the TTC would be open), but reported (in an attempt to give some good news) that the front desk in the GCH will be reopened by that time. It closed with an apology for any inconvenience, thanking me for my patience, etc., and gave the phone number I could call if I needed any "assistance" with my reservation. The end of the e-mail listed my specific reservation number and arrival date (8/21), so it appeared that the e-mail was definitely targeted to specific guests within a specific date range.

I actually replied to it with some follow-up questions including asking for confirmation on the absence of monorail service, and got the usual "thanks for your e-mail - we'll get back to you" response from Disney, but they never did.

As the prior poster noted, you can still walk easily to the TTC to catch the monorail there. However, in my particular case, I was just not interested in paying Poly rates (even with the discount I had) for a monorail resort that has no working monorail station, and is marred by multiple construction zones. The Polynesian is a big splurge for us, so if we're going to do it, I want it to be when it's fully open and operational. Not only that, but by putting off a Polynesian stay for a few years, we stand a better chance of Disney actually offering some kind of touring advantages to onsite and/or deluxe guests during our visit (something we'd hoped for when we booked at the Poly many months ago, but gradually realized was not going to happen). YMMV.

Last edited:

Splashin' Ryan

Thatched roof takes shape on the new porte-cochere at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort​

Am I the only one who thinks the execution of the thatched roof looks really cheesy?
The ones on Aloha Isle and scattered around Fantasyland look much better. This looks like a cheap umbrella.
I dont know it could just be me though.

1626290868537.png

homerdance

There were reports here that the monorail station might not open until Sept or so. They still look like they have a lot of work to go on the entrance at this point, plus more paving at ground level. I can't speak to the email PP received though

The good news is that you can still walk to the TTC to get direct monorail to MK or direct to Epcot, given that it will be opening soon. So there is going to be more access... it just won't be at the building you're expecting.
Oh, i don't expect it to be open, i just hadn't seen any emails/reports of confirmed Monorail closure from Disney.
June 28th. It was a boilerplate e-mail from Disney Destinations, expressing excitement about my upcoming arrival and informing me about the effect of "ongoing enhancements." It specifically said that monorail service would remain suspended during my stay (although boat and bus service would be available and the walking path to the TTC would be open), but reported (in an attempt to give some good news) that the front desk in the GCH will be reopened by that time. It closed with an apology for any inconvenience, thanking me for my patience, etc., and gave the phone number I could call if I needed any "assistance" with my reservation. The end of the e-mail listed my specific reservation number and arrival date (8/21), so it appeared that the e-mail was definitely targeted to specific guests within a specific date range.

I actually replied to it with some follow-up questions including asking for confirmation on the absence of monorail service, and got the usual "thanks for your e-mail - we'll get back to you" response from Disney, but they never did.

As the prior poster noted, you can still walk easily to the TTC to catch the monorail there. However, in my particular case, I was just not interested in paying Poly rates (even with the discount I had) for a monorail resort that has no working monorail station, and is marred by multiple construction zones. The Polynesian is a big splurge for us, so if we're going to do it, I want it to be when it's fully open and operational. Not only that, but by putting off a Polynesian stay for a few years, we stand a better chance of Disney actually offering some kind of touring advantages to onsite and/or deluxe guests during our visit (something we'd hoped for when we booked at the Poly many months ago, but gradually realized was not going to happen). YMMV.

Thanks, i haven't seen any emails about specific items (monorail) not being available. It does say modified experiences (about 12 times) in the emails i have seen.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Am I the only one who thinks the execution of the thatched roof looks really cheesy?
The ones on Aloha Isle and scattered around Fantasyland look much better. This looks like a cheap umbrella.
I dont know it could just be me though.

View attachment 572231
Think we need to wait until it is finished. There could be more layers to it still to come.

Gringrinngghost

GimpYancIent

homerdance

Seems Relevant here, looks like a mid-aug opening date for the Poly MonoRail Station:

NEW: The EPCOT Monorail will officially reopen on Sunday, July 18. The EPCOT Monorail last operated in March 2020 when the parks closed because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to Disney: "Operating daily, service will begin one hour before EPCOT park open and end one hour after EPCOT park close."

As part of this change, direct bus service to EPCOT will no longer be available from these hotels (and effective dates): Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa – July 25 Disney’s Contemporary Resort – July 25 Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort – mid-August

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Considering they've considered walking to TTC as a substitute for MK monorail while charging normal prices, they may just be giving ample notice before telling people to hoof it to TTC for EPCOT. Potentially more true if wanting to think they are going to use limited bus drivers to service other resorts reopening.

Even though I say that, I don't believe it given there's no hard date like GF and Contemporary, but I'm throwing it out there at as a different possibility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom