News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

icc2515

The crazy thing to me is that the Poly is open. How much could it cost to open 1 longhouse even Niua. The front staff is already there. Busses are running and the pool is open along with Capt Cooks and Kona. They must be able to fill all the reservations they need with DVC breakage or nobody really wants to stay there. Disney is really going to sock it to us owners on our dues next year with no one to share the expenses with. Probably their plan all along.

mgf

I mean if Disney would just come out and say.

"Demand isn't there, we have to adjust the park operating model, we won't need half the staff and resorts till 2022"

That actually MIGHT go over better than this BS. At least it cuts the speculation out.
Pick a date, stick with it.. instead of this willy-nilly week by week closure, opening, delay, rethink, adjustment, etc.

Rooms being re-done could be done one building at a time with the resort open.
So that's not a good reason.

They've closed half the main lodge before, kept it open while working.
The company is short on cash, but spending to rehab right now?

Nope, it all stinks.

Literally no large, traded company is going to do this willingly. Certainly not one with enough reach to disrupt an entire state economy. Certainly not a company with enough PR power to become a national - if not international story. Certainly not a company that could move an entire sector's outlook and current and future earnings. Certainly not when it would immediately be seen as a political statement and become part of the culture war.

This is actually a fairly sensible strategy. Everyone knows what is happening, but Disney is back-filling with some positive news and strategy. Moving up deferred maintenance to make sure total inventory is available when demand returns is a smart move given the uncertainty. And if those renovated rooms stay offline, minimal wear and tear will keep the remodels viable longer. They won't suddenly expire.

LSLS

I'm usually pretty anti-IP, but this COULD (can't stress that enough) be alright. If they are taking simply colors/patterns/etc., I think I'm alright with it. Keep in mind the generic hotels people like me hate aren't really refurbs, they are brand new. If you are going to have Half Shark Maui chilling in the lobby, I'm out.

And I'll say this. We know demand is down. And I think it's very reasonable to assume the refurb, while maybe planned, is a good excuse for them to close down without saying they did. We also know they are hurting for money, and aren't going to want to spend a ton. I think just some colors/patterns might be all you get. Disney isn't going to want to spend a ton of money on custom designs for all the rooms/etc. Throw some paint, put in some new carpet, call it "Inspired by Moana," and charge more for the room just as the (Hopefully) vaccine comes around and people start wanting to travel sounds much more the route they will want to take to me.

seanjclarke

There already is some subtle Moana touches on the carpet at Ohana’s. Has anyone ever seen any test rooms for the Poly? I know some Incredibles test rooms(or was it just the hallway) were seen for the Contemporary.

31F54313-1D94-4A03-82EA-A6133CF4D620.jpeg

Attachments

• FE92A17F-BFF9-4720-BDDA-D96A64AF789B.jpeg
    FE92A17F-BFF9-4720-BDDA-D96A64AF789B.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 125

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think that's the fundamental disagreement on this forum.

Some people think that the integration of Disney movie characters is what makes Walt Disney World a special place. If Walt Disney World is primarily a celebration of Disney movies, then of course the Polynesian should be themed to Moana!

Other people (myself included) think Walt Disney World is a special place because of its attention to detail, enormous scope, customer service, etc. It is thoughtful design on an almost unprecedented scale. Disney movie characters are part of it, but WDW has never just been about movie characters. EPCOT – a park without Disney characters – was the ultimate affirmation of that idea.

That's why the news of a Moana-themed Polynesian resort is disappointing to many of us. The Polynesian Village Resort has been around since 1971. Its theme is iconic among Walt Disney World fans and it's the most beloved resort on the monorail loop. It's been successful on its own merits, not because it reminded Guests of a movie they like.

The Polynesian Village Resort, like WDW as a whole, should transcend Disney movies. Tying it to Moana just feels lazy and reductive.
Couldn’t agree more...

1598893500442.gif

aladdin2007

The crazy thing to me is that the Poly is open. How much could it cost to open 1 longhouse even Niua. The front staff is already there. Busses are running and the pool is open along with Capt Cooks and Kona. They must be able to fill all the reservations they need with DVC breakage or nobody really wants to stay there. Disney is really going to sock it to us owners on our dues next year with no one to share the expenses with. Probably their plan all along.

is kona staying open etc?.... Im thinking ohana might be gone for good as we knew it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because there’s no demand for $550 rooms...they won’t sell them to “peasants” for $300...

And just like “5th park” debate...the hotels are cannibalizing themselves. No sense in selling 40% of 3 spots when you can have 60% of two. Lost overhead.

zero creativity

I think it needs an update. We were there in June 18 and it seemed dingier and darker then usual.
I think some brightening and maybe some connection to what was originally planned for the water section or whatever it is called in Epcot could be nice

mattpeto

I think that's the fundamental disagreement on this forum.

Some people think that the integration of Disney movie characters is what makes Walt Disney World a special place. If Walt Disney World is primarily a celebration of Disney movies, then of course the Polynesian should be themed to Moana!

Other people (myself included) think Walt Disney World is a special place because of its attention to detail, enormous scope, customer service, etc. It is thoughtful design on an almost unprecedented scale. Disney movie characters are part of it, but WDW has never just been about movie characters. EPCOT – a park without Disney characters – was the ultimate affirmation of that idea.

That's why the news of a Moana-themed Polynesian resort is disappointing to many of us. The Polynesian Village Resort has been around since 1971. Its theme is iconic among Walt Disney World fans and it's the most beloved resort on the monorail loop. It's been successful on its own merits, not because it reminded Guests of a movie they like.

The Polynesian Village Resort, like WDW as a whole, should transcend Disney movies. Tying it to Moana just feels lazy and reductive.
To summarize a very long debate for you (assuming you may be a bit new here :) ) - there are two distinct camps. People who equate Disney with the movie characters. And those who equate Disney more with the parks and entertainment venues. (And a scale in between.) Disney used to do more of a balance with original attractions and movie tie ins. Iger and his followers have inserted what's called the "IP mandate" meaning original attractions without movie tie-ins cannot be done. And, move tie ins need to be done everywhere. They are banking on fans with your opinion being the norm. But, there is a sizeable population who actually fell in love with the parks because of places like Epcot, Pirates, Mansion, the resorts, etc. with no "known" IP. It gave you an escape to a unique place that didn't exist elsewhere and was meant to represent an idealized "real" place vs. showcasing the Disney movie characters. So, for us, this is quite literally destroying what made Disney (Parks) Disney to us. It used to be a place where you explored a location and were a part of it. Rather than going to see a brand.

Of course, many people fall between the two extremes. But, hopefully that helps explain a bit more!

I appreciate and respect these perspectives, thanks for that guys.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Hasn't this been in the works for over a year now? As @seanjclarke mentioned, they were testing IP elements already. I guess to what extent they are overlaying is the real question because we knew it was happening.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No problem! It really just depends on your criteria. For example, I think the Polynesian is "more Disney" than All-Star Movies, even though All-Star Movies has giant Disney movie characters throughout. But I'm sure some people feel the opposite way.
That is intentional. Remember before the Bobs decreed “it’s all about location”, the decor was a reflection of what you paid. On purpose.

Those gigantic concrete statues of Dalmatians and cowboy boots and rubix cubes let you know what you had “done”.

And then they did it with finding Nemo and made it “gilded” 😂

To be clear: I love those places for the fun of them...and they are a much better value to the customer than many other spots - notably the moderates.
Better call now.. I was booked for December.. availability for my week at open hotels was terrible. Not happy with what was offered... will probably cancel.
Yep...run on the place...”for the 50th”

HouCuseChickie

I'm not going to argue ...the longhouses needs some love. I'm currently booked in deluxe villa for Feb 2020 and my parents, who stayed there a year or so ago, decided to book the GF because they felt the Poly rooms and halls looked too dark and run down for the $. That being said, I am worried about anything that may be too IP heavy. I think many long-time fans enjoy subtle touches, but there's just that classic Disney vibe that places like the Poly embody that lose some of the magic and start to feel tacky when they add in too much obvious IP.

On a side note, I'm wondering what will come of our reservation. This is not a DVC reservation, so I'm guessing we'll eventually be notified that we're being moved to another resort.

zero creativity

That is intentional. Remember before the Bobs decreed “it’s all about location”, the decor was a reflection of what you paid. On purpose.

Those gigantic concrete statues of Dalmatians and cowboy boots and rubix cubes let you know what you had “done”.

And then they did it with finding Nemo and made it “gilded” 😂

To be clear: I love those places for the fun of them...and they are a much better value to the customer than many other spots - notably the moderates.

Yep...run on the place...”for the 50th”
What was offered if you don’t mind sharing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom