News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

mattpeto

I don't get this forum. They add a relevant IP to a resort that fits the theme, and people hate it. They add an irrelevant IP to somewhere that doesn't fit the theme as much, and people hate it. WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT? Disney owns some of the most profitable IP in the world, and you think they're not going to use it where they can??

I don't get the "anti-IP" stance either. It's what makes them Disney IMO.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are multiple responses...it is what it is.
I can't afford to stay here anyway, but even when I would try to justify it, it just seemed like the room design was just ok and a bit drab. If they can freshen and lighten the room up a bit and make it worth the $500 a night price tag I think some would change their mind.
It’s very dark/old...I don’t know if that’s an homage to it being the original hotel and the 60’s style or if they feel that’s Polynesian aesthetic.

DVCakaCarlF

There are multiple responses...it is what it is.

It’s very dark/old...I don’t know if that’s an homage to it being the original hotel and the 60’s style or if they feel that’s Polynesian aesthetic.
You know what the problem is...Karen shows up and says to management “where’s the Moana rooms? What? I thought this was Ohana’s was character dining at dinner, too? Mark, did you hear this?” And so on...

Riverrafter21

Totally get it, but assuming that there will not be a Disney themed lamp in a Disney resort room is wild.

Just a lamp...that's cute.

I'm fine with a small nod to Moana in the rooms, like a lamp. However, I would prefer the design team not deck the place in an IP blanket that was not well thought out. Marriott grey plus a Moana lamp does not make a beautiful room.

I want to feel like I'm at a Polynesian designation at my hotel, I want to experience a Moana attraction at the parks. That's the difference

I think that's the fundamental disagreement on this forum.

Some people think that the integration of Disney movie characters is what makes Walt Disney World a special place. If Walt Disney World is primarily a celebration of Disney movies, then of course the Polynesian should be themed to Moana!

Other people (myself included) think Walt Disney World is a special place because of its attention to detail, enormous scope, customer service, etc. It is thoughtful design on an almost unprecedented scale. Disney movie characters are part of it, but WDW has never just been about movie characters. EPCOT – a park without Disney characters – was the ultimate affirmation of that idea.

That's why the news of a Moana-themed Polynesian resort is disappointing to many of us. The Polynesian Village Resort has been around since 1971. Its theme is iconic among Walt Disney World fans and it's the most beloved resort on the monorail loop. It's been successful on its own merits, not because it reminded Guests of a movie they like.

The Polynesian Village Resort, like WDW as a whole, should transcend Disney movies. Tying it to Moana just feels lazy and reductive.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I would be surprised if below translates to Moana being slapped everywhere. Subtle touches, probably. I’m more curious what this Pacific Ocean inspired color palette is going to look like.

“a move to a Pacific Ocean-inspired color palette as well as details, patterns and textures from Disney’s “Moana,””

Epcot82Guy

To summarize a very long debate for you (assuming you may be a bit new here :) ) - there are two distinct camps. People who equate Disney with the movie characters. And those who equate Disney more with the parks and entertainment venues. (And a scale in between.) Disney used to do more of a balance with original attractions and movie tie ins. Iger and his followers have inserted what's called the "IP mandate" meaning original attractions without movie tie-ins cannot be done. And, move tie ins need to be done everywhere. They are banking on fans with your opinion being the norm. But, there is a sizeable population who actually fell in love with the parks because of places like Epcot, Pirates, Mansion, the resorts, etc. with no "known" IP. It gave you an escape to a unique place that didn't exist elsewhere and was meant to represent an idealized "real" place vs. showcasing the Disney movie characters. So, for us, this is quite literally destroying what made Disney (Parks) Disney to us. It used to be a place where you explored a location and were a part of it. Rather than going to see a brand.

Of course, many people fall between the two extremes. But, hopefully that helps explain a bit more!

Brer Panther

As I've said before, I haven't seen Moana and I really don't care enough to watch it, so...

I thought Disney had no money to spend on things?
Well, that's not stopping them from retheming Splash Mountain.

Monorail Station at the poly will close October 2020 apparently
How will that work with the Monorail? Will the whole thing temporarily be closed? Will they have to reroute the track? Will it just drive through the Polynesian station while it's under construction?

Jenny72

Strangely enough, the focus on movies is more of a turnoff for my kids. My son would probably refuse to stay at a place that had Moana plastered everywhere because he sees that stuff as all for girls. He actively loathes it. Neither one of them is all that into Disney movies (or any movies really), so half the time they don't even know who some character is. But imaginative stuff where you can pretend you're in space or a pirate or something, where you get to be the main character instead of watching someone on screen? Magic. It's important that Disney keeps those types of experiences around too. Presumably we're in the minority (or at least Disney thinks we are), but movie tie-ins are not what we enjoy about Disney.

I wonder if the focus on movies will at some point seem outdated, as people are hungry for participative experiences and interactions. I feel like the world might already be moving on and the pandemic is accelerating that hunger for personal adventure and connection. But it's just a thought at this point.

rowrbazzle

I would be surprised if below translates to Moana being slapped everywhere. Subtle touches, probably. I’m more curious what this Pacific Ocean inspired color palette is going to look like.

“a move to a Pacific Ocean-inspired color palette as well as details, patterns and textures from Disney’s “Moana,””
I agree. The article says, "details, patterns and textures" from Moana. The designs in that movie are beautiful - maybe we'll see the spiral or some of the elements of the boats. There are statues of Mickey, Donald, etc. in Hawaiian garb in the windows of the resort. Those certainly don't detract from the theme of the resort. At least Moana is appropriate to the setting.

For what it's worth, the Lilo and Stitch bed in the DVC room is a huge hit with my kids. I think it's the only IP in the room and you only see it when the bed is folded out. It fits the theme of the resort and adds a fun Disney element without really being in your face.

As for the color palette, maybe they'll try to brighten things up a bit. I like the resort, but I get the complaint that it's too dark.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom