Refunds or cancellations of Disney World Annual Passes

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
So I just spoke with guest service and got the following. Good to know, I renewed my annual pass last November, did not have a chance to use it even one time so far!

They offered me a full refund, but I chose instead for an interaction file for my Platinum Pass Renewal for a future date. That means that at any date from now I can go to Guest Services at the park or DS and get a new annual pass for the renewal price. I only have to pay the difference, if that would be the case. There is no expiry date on this file.

I am VERY happy with this. Now my money won't go to waste and I don't have to fork out that big chunk of money for a new pass somewhere in the coming two years because I've already paid that. Also happy it will be the at the renewal rate!
Thank you for this! We're on the same boat. Just a few questions:

- Do you know if a call is needed or could we do this while at WDW, at a Guest Relations desk, before using our AP's?
- Did you call general Guest Services or the AP dedicated phone number?
- The thing to request for is an "Interaction File", right?

Thank you! :)

IMDREW

Thank you for this! We're on the same boat. Just a few questions:

- Do you know if a call is needed or could we do this while at WDW, at a Guest Relations desk, before using our AP's?
- Did you call general Guest Services or the AP dedicated phone number?
- The thing to request for is an "Interaction File", right?

Thank you! :)
I just called the VIPassholder number and explain d my situation. They were very kind and explained everything and all options multiple times. Also, was done within half an hour which has never happened for me calling disney before.

I dont know if you can request an interaction file, but thats what she kepy saying.

i received an email with a number that I have to show guest relations when I return to pick up my next pass. Goodluck!

VaderTron

I just got off the phone with Disney. Have two monthly payment APs that we used once in the middle of January. Early on the "stay away from crowds" train, my wife and I decided it would not be a good idea to go at the end of Feb like we planned. Then, it just went downhill as we all know. So, we got 1 visit out of a 12 month pass.

The phone call lasted for 2 hrs 51 min and 19 secs, 90% of which was holding!!!

They told me that our pass was not eligible for a refund even after I explained that they were in violation of the contract since the services promised were not rendered and I has already paid more than 50% of the cost although only receiving 8% of the service promised. I also informed them that I would dispute the charge with my credit card company if they were unwilling. Disney stuck to their guns and shot me in face with a hard no.

Guess who isn't going to forget this retched "customer service" anytime soon!? Guess who is going to tell EVERYONE not to trust Disney with down-payments that you will never get back if a problem arises? Guess who (post-pandemic) will be discouraging all of my friends and relatives from going to WDW, and refusing to take them when they visit us in FL?

All Disney had to do was give me a couple hundred dollars. Now it will cost them tens if not hundreds of thousands per year. May not seem like much now, but wait till a few hundred/thousand of us locals get mad and boycott. It's not going to be pretty.

Idiots.

Last edited:

jmp85

I just got off the phone with Disney. Have two monthly payment APs that we used once in the middle of January. Early on the "stay away from crowds" train, my wife and I decided it would not be a good idea to go at the end of Feb like we planned. Then, it just went downhill as we all know. So, we got 1 visit out of a 12 month pass.

They told me that our pass was not eligible for a refund even after I explained that they were in violation of the contract since the services promised were not rendered and I has already paid more than 50% of the cost although only receiving 8% of the service promised. I also informed them that I would dispute the charge with my credit card company if they were unwilling. Disney stuck to their guns and shot me in face with a hard no.

Guess who isn't going to forget this retched "customer service" anytime soon!? Guess who is going to tell EVERYONE not to trust Disney with down-payments that you will never get back if a problem arises? Guess who (post-pandemic) will be discouraging all of my friends and relatives from going to WDW, and refusing to take them when they visit us in FL?

All Disney had to do was give me a couple hundred dollars. Now it will cost them tens if not hundreds of thousands per year. May not seem like much now, but wait till a few hundred/thousand of us locals get mad and boycott. It's not going to be pretty.

Idiots.

Lame. They'll probably do the same thing to my family as well then. We'll still visit Disney, but I think we're going to give Universal a shot to earn some of our business. Disney's communication and handling of this (from my perspective) has been horrible. Why make me pay for our passes when I have to deal with a reservation system and not what I originally agreed to?

JoeCamel

Idiots.

You bought a non refundable ticket (on time no less) and you are angry they denied your request for a refund?

Is it Disney's fault you can't use it? Have to say no in this case and if you look beyond your situation you could see what a precedent like this would set. Not "just a few hundred dollars" nope, not even close.

I am rarely on TWDC's side of business but in this case I think they made the right call for their business.

VaderTron

You bought a non refundable ticket (on time no less) and you are angry they denied your request for a refund?

Is it Disney's fault you can't use it? Have to say no in this case and if you look beyond your situation you could see what a precedent like this would set. Not "just a few hundred dollars" nope, not even close.

I am rarely on TWDC's side of business but in this case I think they made the right call for their business.

You are incorrect. Even tickets that are "non-refundable" can be used at their full value to purchase tickets/passes in the future. So, you do not lose the value.

In this case they are not offering that as an option because they do not want to have AP's hanging open for who knows how long until they can offer what was promised in the original contract. You are forgetting that the product and service offered was agreed to in a contract for the monthly payment pass. Disney has altered their product and no longer can offer what I paid for. If they want to give me the option of 11 months at a future time when they can offer what I paid for, that is one thing. But as of now they are not offering the product that was promised in the contract we both agreed to. That means breach of contract and I'm owed a refund.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Guess who isn't going to forget this retched "customer service" anytime soon!? Guess who is going to tell EVERYONE not to trust Disney with down-payments that you will never get back if a problem arises?

What's down payments got to do with anything here?

You bought a ticket for an park pass and want to cancel it after using it some and want a refund.

Certainly unusual circumstances right now due to covid... but stay on target. You bought an annual contract and want to cancel early.

Honestly I expect plenty of people will be seeking to cancel their APs and Disney is gonna have to do more than simply pushing people to agree their AP is the same now as it was before :)

VaderTron

What's down payments got to do with anything here?

You bought a ticket for an park pass and want to cancel it after using it some and want a refund.

Certainly unusual circumstances right now due to covid... but stay on target. You bought an annual contract and want to cancel early.

Honestly I expect plenty of people will be seeking to cancel their APs and Disney is gonna have to do more than simply pushing people to agree their AP is the same now as it was before :)

The amount paid already equals more than the cost of 1 AP. We used 1/12 of the value and paid 50% of the value. That's why a refund is needed.

Amused to Death

Good luck to anyone requesting a refund. Contrary to what logic might have you thinking, Disney does not assign a dollar value to each of the 365 days in a year. If you've ever tried upgrading an existing annual pass, you know that what they actually do is use an approximate one-day ticket cost as a base line and count the number of days that you've already been in the parks to see if you've got any remaining credit or if you've already used what they consider to be the full value of your pass. If you've been in the parks somewhere between 12-14 days, they will tell you that your existing pass has zero value as far as upgrading goes, or in this case, getting a refund is concerned.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The amount paid already equals more than the cost of 1 AP. We used 1/12 of the value and paid 50% of the value. That's why a refund is needed.

your desire... but not accurate of what the strict definitions are. How much you used really doesn't matter... it was used. You have no right to prorated value.

the argument is solely about if the changes to the park and visiting requirements is substantial enough to be considered Disney not fulfill their part of the deal.

i think the changes are too much... but disney can claim things like an ap never garunteed you admission in the first place, etc... but in practice they deltas are quite drastic.

buttrying to make your argument to why you need a refund because you only used "some" really doesnt advance your cause... only hurt it. Prorating is really only part of the discussion after they've agreed you can cancel and are owed some residual value

the fact you chose to stop going... is not reason enough to entitle you to a refund. You have to harp on why...

VaderTron

Good luck to anyone requesting a refund. Contrary to what logic might have you thinking, Disney does not assign a dollar value to each of the 365 days in a year. If you've ever tried upgrading an existing annual pass, you know that what they actually do is use an approximate one-day ticket cost as a base line and count the number of days that you've already been in the parks to see if you've got any remaining credit or if you've already used what they consider to be the full value of your pass. If you've been in the parks somewhere between 12-14 days, they will tell you that your existing pass has zero value as far as upgrading goes, or in this case, getting a refund is concerned.
How about 3 days? Seems like I still get a refund.

Amused to Death

How about 3 days? Seems like I still get a refund.
A partial refund, yes, but not a full one.

In my own case, I live all of 10 minutes away, and have routinely visited the MK and Epcot, for example, for as little as thirty minutes to an hour to grab a quick bite and watch the fireworks. Within the first couple/few weeks of a renewal, it's entirely possible for me to have spent less than a combined total of a regular guest's normal day in the parks, but already have enough visits in that I qualify for zip, zero, nada in the way of a refund on my Platinum Plus AP. The fact that there might still be 48 weeks left in my year means nothing as far as Disney math is concerned. 😥

VaderTron

your desire... but not accurate of what the strict definitions are. How much you used really doesn't matter... it was used. You have no right to prorated value.

the argument is solely about if the changes to the park and visiting requirements is substantial enough to be considered Disney not fulfill their part of the deal.

i think the changes are too much... but disney can claim things like an ap never garunteed you admission in the first place, etc... but in practice they deltas are quite drastic.

buttrying to make your argument to why you need a refund because you only used "some" really doesnt advance your cause... only hurt it. Prorating is really only part of the discussion after they've agreed you can cancel and are owed some residual value

the fact you chose to stop going... is not reason enough to entitle you to a refund. You have to harp on why...
I did tell them why. I told them they are not offering the product I was promised when I purchased it. We went round and round. It got escalated and when they asked, "Is there anything else I can do for you?" to try to end the call after hours I still said, "Yes, provide a refund and cancel my pass." They again put me on hold to talk to someone else. Then after a while came back and said that they couldn't cancel the pass until the parks opened (with no reason why) and that even after talking to the issue escalation manager(?) that my pass didn't qualify for a refund. I told them I disagreed and I would take the matter up with my credit card company and dispute the charges due to services not provided as agreed. They still said they couldn't help me any further. This time they didn't ask me if there was anything more they could do to help me since they never helped me and they concluded the call.

Unacceptable. I don't care what value they put on something. I paid for half of 1 years worth of access to 4 parks and received the option for 1 month. Now the terms of continuing to visit are changed to the requirement that I wear a mask and agree to free them of all responsibility should I contract a highly infections disease attending their parks. No...nonsense...that's not what I agreed to. Give me my money back.

Regardless if some feel so or not, Disney is making a major mistake holding onto a few hundred dollars here. If I was treated well I would definitely be getting a pass again when things got back to normal. (For those wanting to "what if" the scenario that it could be years before that happens....WDW won't make it that long. Let's just leave it at that.) Instead, I'm done. No more. Straw that breaks the camel's back. We brought 27 different visitors with us in the past year and a half. That's 27 full-priced tickets, many of which were for multiple days. 27 hotel guests. 27 people who bought merch. 27 people who ate at the restaurants. In addition we talked 11 other local friends into getting passes. Now, while I can't say for sure not one of them will go back to WDW, I can say all of them went because we invited them and showed them how to enjoy the parks properly. Now, I will make it my mission to find alternative entertainment and destinations to enjoy together with our friends and family.

And that's just us....wait till they anger more of the Florida AP holders.

VaderTron

A partial refund, yes, but not a full one.

In my own case, I live all of 10 minutes away, and have routinely visited the MK and Epcot, for example, for as little as thirty minutes to an hour to grab a quick bite and watch the fireworks. Within the first couple/few weeks of a renewal, it's entirely possible for me to have spent less than a combined total of a regular guest's normal day in the parks, but already have enough visits in that I qualify for zip, zero, nada in the way of a refund on my Platinum Plus AP. The fact that there might still be 48 weeks left in my year means nothing as far as Disney math is concerned. 😥
That's what I asked for. A partial refund. They said I wouldn't get any money back. Period.

neoshinok

I just submitted my request for a partial refund on my paid-in-full pass over the phone. They said it's been pushed thru but really couldn't provide any information, the amount of the refund, when I should expect it or anything. Prepared to be disappointed but I couldn't see myself going for the rest of the year at least.

cflwcast

I'm trying to get my passes cancelled like they said they would honor. I renewed March 12 and never picked up my passes because the parkes shut down. Now they're telling me that they may not be honoring the cancellation policy. I've talked to 2 cast members and have been told they would put a note my file to cancel the passes. Neither one did.

I also got charged for 5 APs on Friday...think about how much that hurt at once.

Josh.h

Last Disney said they were going to release more info in early July about cancelling/refunds. I assume the info still hasn’t been released yet?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom