Refridgerators

RogueHabit

We're staying at Port Orleans Riverside, our first trip at a WDW resort hotel, and I wondered if anyone has any experince of hiring a refridgerator for their room.

We'll be taking our 13 month old daughter and want to be able to keep milk fresh for her to drink, plus daddy and co would like to be able to enjoy a chilled mountain dew...;)

I know that 2 years ago when we stayed at the Quality Inn Plaza they said they were avaialble in the brochure but you had to hire them from a local company and the hotel were no help when it came to arranging delivery so we gave up and drank warm soda!

I guess my question is this. Is the arrangement something you can leave to the consiege or is it going to be a major hassle? This time we have to get one, unlike previously where it was a nice to have...

The Mom

Premium Member
Lance's figure sounds about right. I've "rented" them before...just let the desk know BEFORE you arrive (as per special requests on your reservation) It was either in the room when we checked in, or arrived shortly thereafter. It's a nice convenience...I brought little packages of cereal, milk, orange juice, bowls, and spoons. I also requested a coffee maker, so we had breakfast in the room most days. I also froze a juice box or water bottle each night, put it in a zip loc in my tote, then had a cold drink for later in the day.

Upvote 0

Jedi Osborn

We just came back from the Caribbean beach in January with our 9 month old daughter. We asked for a fridge in the room when we checked in. It was $10 a night (+ taxes) and they had it at our room before we had opened our first suitcase! It was nice to have, but a bit pricey after 7 days. I think next time we'll bring a cooler and fill it with ice to keep things cold.

Upvote 0

MobileBadBoy

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Jedi Osborn
I think next time we'll bring a cooler and fill it with ice to keep things cold.
That's what we do each time. We keep milk, OJ, soft drinks, sandwich meat and whatnot in a cooler. If it gets low, we just get a couple of buckets of ice from one of the ice machine. It's alot cheaper. :D

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

When we stayed at Disney our 9 month old daughter was on antibiotics for an ear infections (some of you might remember posts about the allergy to the medication, anyhow. ):animwink:

When we got to the room I remembered this and called the front desk and they said they would send one right over. I did not ask about the price and they did not tell me.

It was very helpful, we were able to also keep her baby food, water and ect.. in it.

When we got the 70$ bill I called the front desk and mentioned that I was not told about the added expense and it was a medical necessity. They took it off the bill, no problem. I wouldn't have thought about mentioning this, except a woman we were chatting with on the monorail suggested it. And hey, 70 can buy a lot of diapers.

Keep in mind, beer and the likes are not medical necessities. Sorry Tramp.

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by DisneyPhD
When we got the 70$ bill I called the front desk and mentioned that I was not told about the added expense and it was a medical necessity. They took it off the bill, no problem.

well, i must say, Disney PhD, that i'm a little jealous! the fidge is a MUST on ALL of our trips!! my sister is a diabetic who has to take insulin shots and the insulin must be refridgerated. my mom always tells them that's the reason we must have the fridge and as quickly as we can get it...but never once have they offered to take of the extra money on the bill!

yeah, i remember when they were $6 a night...we thought they were kinda expensive then...of course then they upped the price to $10! it's been awhile since we've had to pay the extra though, thank goodness! all DVC rooms have fridges...funny thing is, if you want more towels, you have to pay $6 to get them! Disney always finds someway to get their money, don't they? ;-)

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

Original Poster
Well thanks everybody, all very useful.

Being from the UK, where an ice box isn't such a neccesity it looks like $10.60 a night for us... $149.00 for 2 weeks!!!!!.....:mad:

Maybe we'll buy an icebox...

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

well, it's possible that you can buy a cooler (or take one, if you already own one..don't know how airlines accept coolers though..i'm not a flyer) and keep it filled with ice by way of the ice makers in the resorts. i'm not sure if that would work or not, but it's at least a thought!

Upvote 0

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
When you make your reservations, make sure to request a fridge. If you want it for free, tell them it's for medication. They will give it to you free of charge. My fiancee actually does need the fridge for medication, but they never asked for proof, so I figure it'd work for anyone.

Upvote 0

Debbie

If the complimentary refridge doesn't work like Fievel suggests, (which I think it will), buy a cheap styrofoam one and leave it.
We always bring a large ice chest to fit milk, beer, cokes, sandwich meat, etc. and my husband drains it in the morning and refills the ice.

Upvote 0

Belle13

Refrigerators aren't complimentary for insulin any more. They will offer to refrigerate any insulin or antibiotics at the front desk, instead, and now that the AMA has said that insulin doesn't have to be refrigerated, there is no medical leg to stand on. My suggestion is to get a styrofoam cooler and use the free ice from the ice machines.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek

yeah, i remember when they were $6 a night...we thought they were kinda expensive then...of course then they upped the price to $10! it's been awhile since we've had to pay the extra though, thank goodness! all DVC rooms have fridges...funny thing is, if you want more towels, you have to pay $6 to get them! Disney always finds someway to get their money, don't they? ;-)

We just joined DVC and the fridge and microwave in each room is great. I was wondering about the towels and room cleaning services. Couldn't you just steal, I mean take, them from the pool?

RatCat,

Consider trying to get a DVC room in the future, even the sudios (same as normal rooms mostly) have a few added acommodations. You can buy points for around 10 a point from someone on line.

Have a good trip. P.O Riverside is a lovely resort, but it will always be Dixi Landings in my heart.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom