Reflections of Mainland China - Now With More Thailand

D Hulk

Original Poster
Thought I’d try for Dumbo after the parade ended, but the queue somehow grew from 5 minutes to 40 before I got there.

Let’s go to Fantasyland instead.

Damn there are a lot of single dudes in line to meet Belle!

Oh hey! I just realized that both of the morning’s “wasted” Peter Pan FastPasses happened during ride breakdowns, so they’re good for all day long! I’m using one up now, in a crowded cramped queue which is the first example I’ve seen so far of Shanghai’s reputed poor crowd behavior - tiny personal space and lots of screaming (kids & adults). Actually, that’s every Pan queue I’ve ever endured.

Doing the ride now...

E2FEFDDB-EB2A-4F86-A209-2B1817A7B8B9.jpeg

That was exceptionally well done! It was basically a perfect example of modernizing a classic, improving the core ride and adding projections and other effects quite seamlessly. That’s the best Pan I’ve done, easily, and it’s on par with Buzz for improving an old standard.

Too bad the last Tarzan stage show happened during the parade. I’ve heard good things about it.
The only other major stage show is a Frozen Singalong which...nope!

D Hulk

Original Poster
28A8DBC5-9758-416B-A3DE-09225DAAF6EC.jpeg

Oh wow, it’s one of those castle stage shows I keep hearing about! Oy, they’re doing Frozen here too. At least there are other princesses as well, since I gather this is a welcome ceremony for all the various princesses who all share Enchanted Storybook Castle as their combined royal timeshare.

I’ll watch the show for a while, why not, since I’ve had a remarkably productive tour of the park. From now on I’m just gonna redo the best rides as they’re available.

A4F7DB96-3F0A-48EB-9B55-94BA3714A958.jpeg
This has been a great day to visit! The weather is perfect - breezy, partly cloudy, moderate temps. It’s the Wednesday between the Mid-Autumn Festival (China’s Memorial Day) and the weeklong nationwide break of National Day starting October 1st (China’s Golden Week). Both are among the WORST times to visit Shanghai Disneyland, I’m told, but my gamble that the time in between would be really light has paid off big time. Even Soaring only topped out at 30 minute waits, which is unheard of from monitoring wait time apps over the past few months. Two hours is more typical.

I’m really enjoying Shanghai Disneyland! It has some unmistakable flaws, largely stemming from its scale and the radical redesign of the usual hub and spoke layout, but in a way I’ll take that over the pure copycatting of Tokyo Disneyland. That park is technically perfect but it’s also a mere clone, and Hong Kong is the same on a smaller scale. Shanghai is brazenly original, and I’ll declare it my favorite Asian Castle Park. (DisneySea remains undefeated of course.)

(All this written while watching the castle show.)

D Hulk

Original Poster
It’s only 5 now, and I had a late lunch, but I’m taking an early dinner to get off my feet. Trying out the Wandering Moon Tea House to see how Disney achieves traditional Chinese theming...it looks like a P.F. Chang’s.

F399CA25-7040-4EC0-B05D-8EA8C82ABE64.jpeg

I’ve been spamming FastPass all day and right now in my pocket I have:

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Peter Pan’s Flight x2
TRON Lightcycle Power Run - Presented by Chevrolet

While I wait for those, I plan to simply ride Pirates repeatedly 3 or 4 times. (It has no FP nor does it need it.) Other than seeing the fireworks, that should be the rest of my day.

9297A940-5C35-4A78-B1CC-8152E7CB8FF8.jpeg

There are expansion pads EVERYWHERE. Until they get filled in, there are replaceable “attractions” like a Star Wars Launch Bay or meet ‘n’ greets rounding out the park’s roster. When the pads get filled, if they get cool things (so no more Toy Story Lands), Shanghai Disneyland should be a really strong powerhouse of a park.

Those additions will help with the vast emptiness and they’ll complement the many excellent attractions that are already here!

I think I got thinner today. My pants are falling off.

D Hulk

Original Poster
Remaining ride rampage:

Pirates - Every time it just seems more perfect

47006718-DD88-4CAC-844A-C622ED6CCF53.jpeg

Followed a sunset west to Tomorrowland just as its vibrant neon glow was emerging.

Buzz - I’m consistently scoring over 1 million, which is also somehow in the daily high score range. This is ridiculous! (Was that the Atlantis soundtrack in the queue?!)

4B4F1E72-8A5A-4C64-A43A-C78D374C098D.jpeg

TRON - Dusk ride was the best yet.

Also got a kickass on-ride photo as I and the French chick riding with me (don’t ask) both did double peace signs!

It seems a ton of folks were holding their “anytime” Pan FastPasses, because the FP line was at 30 minutes! Standby 40. Why is it always so hard to ride Pan?! I skipped it.

Seven Dwarfs - FP night ride. The coaster sections could use more lighting, still overall it rides better in the dark.

0B0A2CAF-52AC-4288-AC03-B6C6E36FC80B.jpeg

Snagged another TRON FP so I’m trekking across this overlarge park once again. My touring plans are kinda all over the place!

Wow, TRON is best in the dark!

Tomorrowland has a beautiful, ethereal synthwave soundtrack at night.

D218E614-7CEF-4184-BF2D-9320BEF60AEF.jpeg

TRON has no standby now! I did it again! For no reason I wore my sunglasses.

This ride has a dedicated nighttime fandom, and they do AMAZING on-ride photos!

4CA46943-AA79-4DDA-970E-629A06B579A8.jpeg

Crossed the hub, which was rapidly filling up for the fireworks. Rather I rode Pirates two more times. Yo-ho nihao! You can see everything with eyes adjusted to the darkness.

With 30 minutes to go, time to camp out a semi-adequate spot for the fireworks - something I’m not too good at.

D Hulk

Original Poster
Whoops, I permanently lost my final in-park write-up on the fireworks show Ignite the Dream!

Let’s just quickly run through the highlights:

95F28C98-6BA7-4219-88A1-30D616C77855.jpeg

It was too crowded in the hub, and this was a sparse day. It’s hard to imagine the place packed! My toes got stepped on a lot after a scored a primo fence spot and others filled in ahead of me.

A206981D-1C9E-4ABC-9B5F-1108AF34E456.jpeg

The show was quite good, following a Fantasmic style story about Mickey’s imagination. The castle was designed for nighttime spectaculars, so for that task it works marvelously.

C6CA57D9-2D42-445F-8261-0FAB8199E517.jpeg

There’s a lot of projections and fountains but few fireworks because of Shanghai pollution. I escaped a little before the finale to beat the crowds to the exit because it was getting unbearable. Despite this - and this is a cliche - the show was a perfect capper to the day, especially since the park technically closes at 8:30 when the show begins so it’s guaranteed to be the climax.

95F0DD02-08B5-4B5E-9EEE-597666C4678F.jpeg

Rode the relaxing ferry boat back to the hotel, a perk only hotel guests enjoy.

I concluded with some profound concluding thoughts on Shanghai Disneyland which are now lost to the winds. In summation it’s my favorite Asian Castle Park, largely because it is brazenly original while the other two are mere copies...even if Tokyo Disneyland is technically perfect it feels dispassionate while Shanghai Disneyland, warts and all, is incredibly unique and energizing. I had a wonderful time, better than expected even!

I have a half day in the park tomorrow before I fly home. What would you guys like me do to?

Suchomimus

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

This is the WDW/HKDL version, which I haven’t done yet. Used a FastPass on it, obtained remotely using the park’s super convenient and free MaxPass-style app. That was pointless because there’s no pre-merge line yet, but a good test run.

Post-ride response:

View attachment 316449

Well, mid-ride actually. It broke down and we’re sitting here in B-mode.

Even so it’s better than Disneyland’s Pooh, and not even 1/10th of Tokyo’s masterpiece. Feels like they saved their budget here to get in a cheap Fantasyland dark ride. Pretty meh.

View attachment 316450
I’ve only seen the videos of the ride and from what I saw, it’s about the same as what we have in Orlando. And compared to other versions of older and classic Disney rides reincarnated for SD, this just pales in comparison.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

View attachment 316447

Out here it’s not the rope drop attraction, but for now a 5 minute walk on (lines get longer later). Haven’t yet been to WDW, so it’s my first time!

View attachment 316448

Post-ride:
It was fun. Feels very modern, like the whole park so far. Also like the whole park, sight lines are a problem. Can see power lines and industrial stuff after the lift hills. Really enjoyed the light coaster aspect and the dark ride, which could’ve been at least one scene longer.
love mine train!! love it in orlando!

DisneyAndUniversalFan

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

This is the WDW/HKDL version, which I haven’t done yet. Used a FastPass on it, obtained remotely using the park’s super convenient and free MaxPass-style app. That was pointless because there’s no pre-merge line yet, but a good test run.

Post-ride response:

View attachment 316449

Well, mid-ride actually. It broke down and we’re sitting here in B-mode.

Even so it’s better than Disneyland’s Pooh, and not even 1/10th of Tokyo’s masterpiece. Feels like they saved their budget here to get in a cheap Fantasyland dark ride. Pretty meh.

View attachment 316450

Update - We just got walked off, which was a really neat experience seeing most of the ride on foot and fully lit. Certainly memorable! I refused a free FastPass to redo Pooh. Might just reride the awesome stuff (Pirates) instead. For now, Soaring FP!

View attachment 316451

Instead of Teacups they have spinning Pooh hunny pots. I probably won’t be trying this.
nowhere near tokyo, possibly better than disneyland’s but still a good ride!

DisneyAndUniversalFan

TRON!!!

View attachment 316458

Reserve your Magic Kingdom FastPasses for this NOW!

Two things made my first experience on it less-than-perfect. It’s daytime, so the awesome Cyberspace Mountain immersion is ruined right after the launch when you go outdoors. Also, by doing FastPass you miss some cool standby queue I assume which I want to see later.

The ride was fun and the TRON practical effects were surprisingly great. While riding it doesn’t feel too short (same as with many coasters) due to the physical sensation. It’s a standout ride.

View attachment 316459

Also, I stupidly wore my sunglasses in my shirt’s v-neck. At the launch, they actually flew out and landed directly over my eyes - which was really cool and also really dumb!

View attachment 316461
The Jetpacks wait is too long (30 minutes) for what it is, a common problem with spinners. Still, due to unique feet-dangling seating I’ll want to try it at night if I can.
It’s starting to sprinkle a little, and humidity is higher than yesterday, but overall this is a really pleasant day to be touring.
TRON I LOVE SORRY FOR SPAMING THIS IS WHAT IVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS WHOLE MONTH

DisneyAndUniversalFan

View attachment 316470

Pirates remains amazing. It is the best possible version of itself. The tech is amazing as are the physical set pieces and animatronics, which better still combine exceptionally well to tell a dramatic story fully in line with the POTC movies. It’s not the moody old Pirates and it isn’t trying to be. It is the best thing at Shanghai, and it’s in the running against the original POTC and DisneySea’s Journey to the Center of the Earth and Steel Vengeance as a World’s Best Ride.

View attachment 316471

I’m dining now at Barbossa’s Bounty - a counter service restaurant which overlooks the ride a-la Blue Lagoon. Having tasty chicken leg with a strange brain-freezing curaçao slush drink (language barrier prevented me from getting an overpriced Tsingtao beer) and a Shellie Mae pannacotta dessert because they’re trying to make Duffy a thing here. (Not nearly as good as the DisneySea pannacotta.)

This restaurant has a dozen rooms, each intricately themed as a pirate village at night. The food is good plus it’s one of the best looking Disney restaurants I’ve seen.
THIS IS IT. I LOVE WHEN U COMPARE THE RIDES FOR BEST RIDES IN THE WORLD. PIRATES IN SHANGHAI IS TRULY UNREAL. UGH. one day

D Hulk

Original Poster
Once more into the breach. One final half day in Shanghai Disneyland to go before I leave China.

F025B7BC-3B59-49FF-A902-AE0A667D7FFF.jpeg

I am again in Lumiere’s Cafe, this time enjoying an Asian style breakfast buffet. My bag is packed and stowed, I’m checked out (of the hotel and also physically), the airport taxi is reserved.

This trip has been profoundly exhausting and also rewarding. I’ve averaged 10 miles waking per day, and SDL was no exception there.

When I return to the States I’d like to resume recapping the trip days in between Huangshan and Disneyland, and possibly offer additional thoughts on SDL. For now I’m signing off, ready to tackle the final leg...

MinnieM123

Premium Member
First of all, what an excellent day you had today in the park! Wonderful photos and commentary. :)

I have a half day in the park tomorrow before I fly home. What would you guys like me do to?

You asked. I want you to do this --

Instead of Teacups they have spinning Pooh hunny pots. I probably won’t be trying this.

Please go on the Hunny Pots! :joyfull:

D Hulk

Original Poster
Shanghai Disneyland Half-Day Highlights

I began hotel early entry by rope dropping Peter Pan, because I rarely manage to ride it at home and I squandered two FastPasses on it yesterday.

04FF5556-BE5D-4F60-BA54-171B6F529041.jpeg

Then did Seven Dwarfs Mine Train again. Here’s the queue for this ride in its unnatural, empty state.

5076D3D7-8DBE-4300-B326-59787A148E16.jpeg

@MinnieM123, here I go wholly completely alone on Hunny Pot Spin as requested.

5F37EF5C-C225-4C75-9E75-87286C3CF833.jpeg

And followed by a fight on Dumbo, just beating the regular park hours crowds. Five minute wait for me, 20 minutes upon exiting.

C29784CB-A291-4CC2-AD5B-92E7019C4F63.jpeg

Too bad the Fantasia Carousel (with adorable baby Pegasus horses) was a 20 minute wait for me, the trip’s longest actually. I embarrassed myself and rode one of those baby horses. :rolleyes:

BB18A103-0BB7-44EB-AC4C-107A27E017E6.jpeg

Explorers Canoes doesn’t work too well at Shanghai because most guests don’t bother to paddle at all. I got an amazing tough-as-nails crew however and we passsed two lazier canoes! Go team! :joyfull:

Here’s what the rest of the day looked like: Pirates. Buzz. TRON. Peter Pan. Pirates. Pause to eat a massive cookie. Buzz. TRON. Pirates. Pirates. Return to hotel and currently in a taxi to the airport.

D860B487-5CB0-43CB-BAF7-9EE7B8CE5340.jpeg

The trip is officially complete...missed recaps to follow eventually.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@MinnieM123, here I go wholly completely alone on Hunny Pot Spin as requested.

See! I KNEW that would be the highlight of your trip! :hilarious: (Your expression in that photo captured your glee. ;) )

Well, this has been quite an exciting and unique trip you've taken us on to China. Looking forward to your recaps, whenever you want to share those.

Please enjoy a safe trip home.

Voxel

President of Progress City
This trip has been profoundly exhausting and also rewarding. I’ve averaged 10 miles waking per day, and SDL was no exception there.

When I return to the States I’d like to resume recapping the trip days in between Huangshan and Disneyland, and possibly offer additional thoughts on SDL. For now I’m signing off, ready to tackle the final leg...
This is exactly how I feel about my Trip to Japan. I need to finish my Trip Report.. (I started updating it last night and fell asleep)

D Hulk

Original Poster
This is exactly how I feel about my Trip to Japan. I need to finish my Trip Report.. (I started updating it last night and fell asleep)
I’d love to see more of your report. In the planning phase, I’d say your trip sounded more ambitious than mine. :eek:

On the LA Metro train now riding back towards home, the same train where I first began this thread. Not much to say about the air travel from Shanghai to here :hungover: (with an unessesary layover in Guangzhou near Hong Kong, except it cheapened my airfare enough so I could afford the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel).

The lengthy transit at the end of any vacation is always a comedown :depressed:, but the arrival at my house soon enough will be massively rewarding. :D

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I’d love to see more of your report. In the planning phase, I’d say your trip sounded more ambitious than mine. :eek:

On the LA Metro train now riding back towards home, the same train where I first began this thread. Not much to say about the air travel from Shanghai to here :hungover: (with an unessesary layover in Guangzhou near Hong Kong, except it cheapened my airfare enough so I could afford the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel).

The lengthy transit at the end of any vacation is always a comedown :depressed:, but the arrival at my house soon enough will be massively rewarding. :D

Welcome home, and thanks for letting us know that you arrived safely from your long flights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom