News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

techgeek

Thing is what can they really do at this point? They can’t scrap those expensive barges. Only thing could do, assuming the barges can technically be moved often, Is bring them in and out, but to do that they will probably have to expand the backstage marina im guessing?

They can drape the bottom part with a scrim/screen that is mirrored and angled outward to reflect the water, or a least have some sort of go-away paint job.

They can have the LED screen partially lit with some sort of go-away color scheme to reduce it's blot-out-the-horizon profile.

They can have a camera on one side of the barge and put it's image on the other side of the barge for an invisibility kludge.

They can follow through with the implicit promise of always-on fountains despite the cost of doing so.

Maybe by some way of compromise they could at least find a way to move the Stargate in and out on a daily basis while the Tacos stay anchored and do their fountainy-screen-misdirection thing?

The Tacos are deeply troubling, but I'm reserving my full outrage for the impact I fear the Stargate makes on sightlines.

Vegas Disney Fan

They can drape the bottom part with a scrim/screen that is mirrored and angled outward to reflect the water, or a least have some sort of go-away paint job.

The bottom is the puzzling part to me, if it were only the screen portion above the water they would be so much less intrusive.

I still think they should build locks around them, the lagoon is supposedly 25 feet deep so they could lower the water level inside the lock 15-20 feet during the day and make them nearly disappear when not in use. If the Panama canal can raise and lower massive cargo ships these should be a piece of cake.

bcoachable

My question is, if they have agreed to daytime fountains, can it really be that expensive to run?

Sure it means the pumps will be used more, which means their life span will be shorter. And then of course electrical costs. But from a labour perspective it’s an ideal solution cost wise.

How much could it really cost to run all day? I think the biggest cost is the visuals of world showcase changed until they replace this show in 20 years...
Probably wouldn’t cost much more than having the tower of terror bounce around on that “hey, check out what your about to ride” advertisement on the side of the road as you enter the parks.... (that’s not running anymore? Oh - nevermind)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is all just shocking to me.

Years ago I used to give backstage tours to guests. One of the most regular and consistent "shocks" people got, was that the Haunted Mansion was not really "in" the mansion and that Splash Mountain was really just in a warehouse out back, not in the mountain. The ways in which imagineers hid show buildings was a true and amazing talent. It separated Disney from every other theme park out there. Dinosaur Countdown to Extinction is another great example.

Fantasmic! at Disneyland is an engineering wonder, with light grids popping out of cement sidewalks and speakers from rocks, with the entire show taking place on a stage that is traversed by guests all day long with no idea the whole area transforms at night.

The people who designed those attractions and shows must be really, truly unhappy with BBB and Taco-nious Harmonious. Just a sad downgrade in quality for the company and for the guest experience.
Very very well said.

dreday3

This is all just shocking to me.

Years ago I used to give backstage tours to guests. One of the most regular and consistent "shocks" people got, was that the Haunted Mansion was not really "in" the mansion and that Splash Mountain was really just in a warehouse out back, not in the mountain. The ways in which imagineers hid show buildings was a true and amazing talent. It separated Disney from every other theme park out there. Dinosaur Countdown to Extinction is another great example.

Fantasmic! at Disneyland is an engineering wonder, with light grids popping out of cement sidewalks and speakers from rocks, with the entire show taking place on a stage that is traversed by guests all day long with no idea the whole area transforms at night.

The people who designed those attractions and shows must be really, truly unhappy with BBB and Taco-nious Harmonious. Just a sad downgrade in quality for the company and for the guest experience.

Wait...Haunted Mansion isn't in the Mansion???

TTA94

Do we think when EF returns, hopefully in the near future, they may use the Harm barges? Then again probably not since that would defeat the purpose of keeping the high demand down and “social distancing”. Which IMO won’t matter what show it is, it will be high demand lol.

My bet is they are going to do a virtual queue or FP only type thing and distribute guests in certain spots the CMs pick, NOT the guests, and maybe taped circles or something?

aladdin2007

Do we think when EF returns, hopefully in the near future, they may use the Harm barges? Then again probably not since that would defeat the purpose of keeping the high demand down and “social distancing”. Which IMO won’t matter what show it is, it will be high demand lol.

My bet is they are going to do a virtual queue or FP only type thing and distribute guests in certain spots the CMs pick, NOT the guests, and maybe taped circles or something?

that bothers me, if thats the case you wont have the freedom anymore to stand or watch where you want, everything is becoming requirements and legalistic and do this do that dont stand here not allowed here. for those who have a park ticket, if they are going to bother with this overdone-overbuilt show that is now purposely destroying the world showcase lagoon and views, then one should be able to watch the thing wherever they please. Personally I think they have gone so over board with this that its going to be a tech nightmare and become so much of an expense down the road that eventually it will be cut down or go the way of rivers of light. Someone really let this whole project get way out of scope and horribly too large,,,and because of it now world showcase has had its final nail put in the Epcot coffin. is there a head shaking emoji here?

TTA94

that bothers me, if thats the case you wont have the freedom anymore to stand or watch where you want, everything is becoming requirements and legalistic and do this do that dont stand here not allowed here. for those who have a park ticket, if they are going to bother with this overdone-overbuilt show that is now purposely destroying the world showcase lagoon and views, then one should be able to watch the thing wherever they please. Personally I think they have gone so over board with this that its going to be a tech nightmare and become so much of an expense down the road that eventually it will be cut down or go the way of rivers of light. Someone really let this whole project get way out of scope and horribly too large,,,and because of it now world showcase has had its final nail put in the Epcot coffin. is there a head shaking emoji here?

I have no idea if they really will choose where guests watch the show from, but I can see those options being on the table. I don’t like the idea of a bunch of restrictions either, but if that allows nighttime shows to resume, I’m all for it.

The biggest issue will be obtaining a pass to see the shows EF, HEA, F!. Especially for those who like to go on weekends. Sure won’t be easy, Which I hope they roll this out, if at all, before the normally busier time of year like Spring.

trainplane3

Probably use the EF barges since those are part of H! anyways and aren't going away if I understood people on here correctly.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
My unofficial, non-insider, non-source tells me the Harmonius barges have already been earmarked by Chapek and Zach Riddley to become the world’s largest floating taco bars (walkway from Mexico, for the pavilion tie-in) if/when Harm flounders. I hear they are looking at charging $99.99/person for a 1 hour floating taco bar experience. Apparently the guest surveys lately have been begging for this type of experience at that price point. /sarc

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom