News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
That gigantic eyesore shouldn't have made it past the "napkin doodle" design stage. The sheer fact that it did and was greenlit is truely mind-boggling considering the end results. So many questions but mainly just overwhelming disappointment. Disney should be embarrased by such an abomination. The fact that they aren't; that they are OK with all of this is extremely concerning.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

They should build some concrete or steel bunkers to sink these in during the day, similar to a boat lock. Fill it with water to raise the barges for show height and then pump out the water and sink the barges down during the day.

It wouldn’t even require draining the lagoon to do it.

It would also be failsafe because if the pumps stopped or the lock failed the barges would just rise with the water.

How deep is the lagoon? Even 10 feet would make a huge difference.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

PHOTOS - 'Natural View' lens offers a realistic impression of the size of the Harmonious show barges in World Showcase Lagoon​

HarmonioUS_Full_40133.jpg

Skywise

I'm willing to wait and see how it looks with the fountains running during the day. As it stands, though, it destroys the views of the lagoon and the ability to see that all the "nations" are neighbors and close together but that's not an IP so.. who cares?

It's like Las Vegas thinking - here's this beautiful garden spot but its not revenue producing - just fill it in and stick a CVS there.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Last edited:

fotofx

PHOTOS - 'Natural View' lens offers a realistic impression of the size of the Harmonious show barges in World Showcase Lagoon​

A 50mm lens is only "Natural" based on a 35mm image size. Back in the film days the size of the image (Negative/Slide) and the distance from the focal plane determined what size lens would be telephoto, normal, or wide angle. This has been replaced by the size of the sensor. Depending on the camera used and the distance from the lens optical center to the focal plane, there could still be a difference and thus not truly natural.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
A 50mm lens is only "Natural" based on a 35mm image size. Back in the film days the size of the image (Negative/Slide) and the distance from the focal plane determined what size lens would be telephoto, normal, or wide angle. This has been replaced by the size of the sensor. Depending on the camera used and the distance from the lens optical center to the focal plane, there could still be a difference and thus not truly natural.
We used a full frame 35mm sensor.

UNCgolf

HarmonioUS_Full_40133.jpg

I was expecting it to be absolutely terrible and yet my expectations were still far too high. That is appalling.

And it's only one! There are going to be 3 more plus the centerpiece!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I remember when Disney built fake rocks to hide lighting rigs that would only raise up during the show and be out of view during the day. That was just a simple pole. Who approved this!?!

They just don't care.

Should we bring up the topic of forced perspective? Continuity of Theming?

They could have saved so much on the rear Tower of Terror by not having to match the Moroccan colors and theming by just painting it sky blue like the Guardians monstrosity. But I guess that doesn't matter anymore because now you have a whole bunch of new eyesores to focus on.

Skywise

I remember when Disney built fake rocks to hide lighting rigs that would only raise up during the show and be out of view during the day. That was just a simple pole. Who approved this!?!
Hey pal - we're not in the business of making magic! This is a BUSINESS - we did a cost benefit analysis with data driven expectations and we found that nobody looked at the lagoon when heading over to see the spectacular Frozen ride we created from scratch and we make a lot more money by selling half size servings of cookies at a dessert party for fireworks than that drainage pool ever made for us!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom