News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

SLUSHIE

Wow you are all very negative. You guys think the globe sitting out in the water or the previous barges looked any better? I'm sure they are just testing something or getting it out of the way while they work on the other ones. It may not even be finished yet, I'm sure there will be some sort of skirt that goes around the bottom or something to clean up the look a bit.

I mean seriously, here is some of the previous barges...
IllumiNations_barges.jpg

OMG WOW SO PRETTY!

UNCgolf

Wow you are all very negative. You guys think the globe sitting out in the water during the previous barges looked any better? I'm sure they are just testing something or getting it out of the way while they work on the other ones. It may not even be finished yet, I'm sure there will be some sort of skirt that goes around the bottom or something to clean up the look a bit.

They aren't. It is being permanently installed there.

begood524

Bio just posted some photos

I think that first picture highlights how limited of a viewing area there is going to be to receive the "full effect" of the show - I was somewhat optimistic but after seeing this I feel like there are lots of head-scratching decisions being made with this show. It better be the most jaw-dropping spectacular Disney has ever made by a long shot.

SLUSHIE

Not to sure what everyone thought these were going to look like in the lagoon. We all knew it was coming. It’s only going to get (look) worse once the “stargate” moves out. Yeah its unfortunate. IMO I’m even more anxious to see the barge in action!

Yes if the show is good people will ignore it, just like they seem to have done for the previous show.

yensidtlaw1969

Yes if the show is good people will ignore it, just like they seem to have done for the previous show.
It's worth remembering that the Illuminations barges were not only smaller but also did not live out in the Lagoon full time. They were floated out mid-day for the very purpose of minimizing visual intrusion upon World Showcase.

Last edited:

SLUSHIE

I think that first picture highlights how limited of a viewing area there is going to be to receive the "full effect" of the show - I was somewhat optimistic but after seeing this I feel like there are lots of head-scratching decisions being made with this show. It better be the most jaw-dropping spectacular Disney has ever made by a long shot.
I'm not sure what you mean. The only issue I can see are the islands that were there before.

Magic Feather

"It's not that they couldn't have brought these crazy huge platforms out from the marina everyday. They really could have (even if the marina would be a little tight on space). The issue is that the projected amount of time to get these things in and out was way higher than anyone was willing to stomach. Supposedly it could have gone over an hour on a windy day, which was something that ops wasn't willing to put up with. That drawbridge would either stay up for an obscenely long amount of time, or go up and down enough to be like a game of frogger for guests."
-A Friend on why the Platforms are docked Permanently

SLUSHIE

LN2mmoq.jpg

JChZkR0.jpg

Accurate rendering by me.

Water can't cover up black floating swoopy looking things.
There is no reason they couldn't turn the screens on during the day, just to a blue color or some other daytime program to make them look a bit better. These type of screens are used as billboards along highways that are on 24/7, there should be no issue running these either.

yensidtlaw1969

There is no reason they couldn't turn the screens on during the day, just to a blue color or some other daytime program to make them look a bit better. These type of screens are used as billboards along highways that are on 24/7, there should be no issue running these either.
Thank goodness - I've always said the one thing missing from World Showcase is giant, glowing billboards.

The issue isn't even so much that they look ugly (though they do), it's more that they block the carefully crafted view of the Pavilions across the water. Lighting them up sky-blue to blend in better doesn't solve that problem.

trainplane3

"It's not that they couldn't have brought these crazy huge platforms out from the marina everyday. They really could have (even if the marina would be a little tight on space). The issue is that the projected amount of time to get these things in and out was way higher than anyone was willing to stomach. Supposedly it could have gone over an hour on a windy day, which was something that ops wasn't willing to put up with. That drawbridge would either stay up for an obscenely long amount of time, or go up and down enough to be like a game of frogger for guests."
-A Friend on why the Platforms are docked Permanently
I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that. Maybe WDI only thinks "bigger is better".
They're going to be exposed to the heat of fireworks 365 days a years and the bits of fireworks that rain down. Theoretically, they should be fine. But I'll be shocked if Disney wants to do more then the bare minimum with these. They obviously don't care. I want to look at a few years after the show goes live, to see if they actually keep up the maintenance.

The overall point is Disney can do better and has in the past. Instead of asking them to do better, we're just glad they're giving us half effort.

Last edited:

jrhwdw

I'm not suggesting we are at Niagara Falls levels lol, but there is a fairly large amount of water coming form a fairly tall structure - there is going to be some audio intrusion into World Showcase.

You could hear the RoE (RIP) fountain tests before showtime. I dare say this will need a little more water than that used.
I could be totally wrong of course but with the Fountains in the center of WSL, you may not hear the Water? The only time I really heard Fountain water, it was right next to the old Fountain Of Nations. WS Guests will not be that close to Harrm.
It'll need to be done unless Epcot has a magic way: will the fountains be off while Pyro is being preped for Harm. each night ? Or could they do that before Park Open?

Might we see Fountain Tests like ROE with Harm?

Don't hate me but how do we feel about Epcot Info on the Tacos(can't believe I wrote that! LOL!)during the daytime? Maybe it's just me but I liked the Millennium Central Screens. It showed times for TON and 2000: ROE when I was there in 2000 I believe. It did show wait times in later years, IDK if ROE was still on there... Better than billboards for law and Gas Stations (rollseyes!)

TTA94

Looks like 2 of the barges have a little ways to go yet as they haven’t received their screens. Don’t know how close the stargate barges are to completion?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom