News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
LN2mmoq.jpg

JChZkR0.jpg

Accurate rendering by me.

Water can't cover up black floating swoopy looking things.
It will be interesting to see how long they keep the daytime fountains running. I imagine there will be a not insignificant running cost. Initially I except we will see nearly all-day shows, but will that continue over the years.

TTA94

It will be interesting to see how long they keep the daytime fountains running. I imagine there will be a not insignificant running cost. Initially I except we will see nearly all-day shows, but will that continue over the years.

What I’m curious about is how all the equipment, lighting and tech is going to stay up to par and in good condition being in the middle of the lagoon with all the weather elements, sun, water (fountains) beating down on them, like the led screens. Yikes.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
What I’m curious about is how all the equipment, lighting and tech is going to stay up to par and in good condition being in the middle of the lagoon with all the weather elements, sun, water (fountains) beating down on them, like the led screens. Yikes.
Yes. There will certainly be some wear and tear just from being out in the elements. And as we know from the old RoE hardware, it will start to look a bit rough after its weathers and takes fall out from the pyro.

FerretAfros

I think my "favorite" part of these monstrosities is that they seemingly appear to be intentionally designed to block views across the lagoon. It's not just that they clutter the open expanse of the water, but when viewed from one shore, they're almost perfectly sized to completely cover the pavilions on the opposite side.

Looking across the lagoon from the elevated bridge next to the UK pavilion, the screen is about the same height as the Mexico, Norway, and China pavilions on the far side. Only the tallest spires poke up over it, with the building masses below the sight line. Presumably this will come even more into play as the additional barges are moored, further blocking the clear vistas.
capture.jpg

Upon first glance of this photo (from ground level at Showcase Plaza?), the barge appears to be about the same height as the Japan pavilion. It isn't until further examination that you notice it's blocking the American Adventure pavilion almost entirely. The AA building is by far the largest in World Showcase, and employs several clever tricks to fool your eye into making it blend with the miniature structures in the other pavilions. In reality, it's a massive structure that dwarfs its surroundings. And yet here it is, completely hidden by just one of these new barges.
HarmonioUS_Full_40076.jpg

Not only is this an eyesore during the day, but it will also be a dramatic departure for the format of the show at night. Part of what has made all the previous Epcot lagoon shows unique is how they embraced the World Showcase setting, with spotlights and lasers criss-crossing the lagoon, torches and pyro in the round, and pavilion perimeter lights being incorporated into the show. Not only did the shows follow the spirit of World Showcase, but the area was physically incorporated into the show in a way that isn't done for other park's nighttime spectaculars.

This new show seems to be taking the opposite approach, yet again. Instead of assimilating World Showcase into the production, it's actively blocking it out. It's hard to feature lights on pavilions across the lagoon if your new barges block those pavilions entirely. The intended focal point is the show infrastructure itself, and nothing else. It could be on any body of water, but just happens to be plopped onto this one, without any context for its setting.

Given that the show only has the most tenuous thematic connection to World Showcase, that approach may fit this particular show well. But if that's the best show they could come up with for the venue, then it's a very sad state of affairs.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I brought that up a few pages ago. They can't go lower. Look at the dock point, it's resting on top of it:
HarmonioUS_Full_40055.jpg

They are watertight and they may also function like a bunker (as the earth globe did).

Edit: The only possibility is if there's an opening in the walkway that'll allow the mount point to fit in, kind of like a puzzle piece. But it doesn't look like it:
Eofgae7XIAI1gOh

Right next to the stargate thing is where the opening would need to be but it doesn't look big enough. Credit to Bio.
There are also some AC units above the current waterline, no way it is going any lower than it is.

HarmonioUS_Full_40071.jpg

HarmonioUS_Full_40073.jpg

trainplane3

There are also some AC units above the current waterline, no way it is going any lower than it is.

HarmonioUS_Full_40071.jpg

HarmonioUS_Full_40073.jpg
I did see the vents and assumed A/C but still wasn't sure enough to call it out.

And agreed with the fountains. Once they start breaking, I'm sure the budget won't be reallocated to fix them as the firework budget gets slashed each year.

It'll be technical wonder at night. I don't believe I'll enjoy the content of the show at all. If possible I'd like to get one special viewing spot and then call it a day with seeing the show. They couldn't get a nostalgia fest done right with EF, they aren't going to tie this into WS well.

/Rant done :p

You could hear the RoE (RIP) fountain tests before showtime. I dare say this will need a little more water than that used.
That was one of the things I didn't expect when I got that special spot and had a chance to focus on the little things. The old barges were loud when they did the final tests before showtime.

Last edited:

montyz81

I think my "favorite" part of these monstrosities is that they seemingly appear to be intentionally designed to block views across the lagoon. It's not just that they clutter the open expanse of the water, but when viewed from one shore, they're almost perfectly sized to completely cover the pavilions on the opposite side.

Looking across the lagoon from the elevated bridge next to the UK pavilion, the screen is about the same height as the Mexico, Norway, and China pavilions on the far side. Only the tallest spires poke up over it, with the building masses below the sight line. Presumably this will come even more into play as the additional barges are moored, further blocking the clear vistas.
View attachment 518361

Upon first glance of this photo (from ground level at Showcase Plaza?), the barge appears to be about the same height as the Japan pavilion. It isn't until further examination that you notice it's blocking the American Adventure pavilion almost entirely. The AA building is by far the largest in World Showcase, and employs several clever tricks to fool your eye into making it blend with the miniature structures in the other pavilions. In reality, it's a massive structure that dwarfs its surroundings. And yet here it is, completely hidden by just one of these new barges.
HarmonioUS_Full_40076.jpg

Not only is this an eyesore during the day, but it will also be a dramatic departure for the format of the show at night. Part of what has made all the previous Epcot lagoon shows unique is how they embraced the World Showcase setting, with spotlights and lasers criss-crossing the lagoon, torches and pyro in the round, and pavilion perimeter lights being incorporated into the show. Not only did the shows follow the spirit of World Showcase, but the area was physically incorporated into the show in a way that isn't done for other park's nighttime spectaculars.

This new show seems to be taking the opposite approach, yet again. Instead of assimilating World Showcase into the production, it's actively blocking it out. It's hard to feature lights on pavilions across the lagoon if your new barges block those pavilions entirely. The intended focal point is the show infrastructure itself, and nothing else. It could be on any body of water, but just happens to be plopped onto this one, without any context for its setting.

Given that the show only has the most tenuous thematic connection to World Showcase, that approach may fit this particular show well. But if that's the best show they could come up with for the venue, then it's a very sad state of affairs.
I agree with this, but I think they believe the site line problem is solved by running the fountains all day long.

techgeek

I was previously told they created some background loops or were planning to do so for this reason.

On the one hand, leaving such large and obvious screens like these dark full time would be bad show. On the other hand, it’s also bad show to expose so many of your show elements to the audience before the curtain even goes up.

Just amazingly bad design all around.

aladdin2007

On the one hand, leaving such large and obvious screens like these dark full time would be bad show. On the other hand, it’s also bad show to expose so many of your show elements to the audience before the curtain even goes up.

Just amazingly bad design all around.

agree, they have come up with every way possible now to ruin this park in some form or another.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom