News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

jrhwdw

Yes - I think a pavilion-focused show goes in the wrong direction. Part of what made I:ROE the best incarnation to me was how truly global it was. There are only 11 countries represented. The show ending your day at Epcot should be a celebration of humanity, not certain parts of humanity (IMHO). That was the hopeful message that you ideally would walk away from a day at Epcot having - in a perfect world - with the fireworks show bringing that message together into one, final crescendo.

I think doing that with an IP-focused show is tougher, but possible. Music is a language used worldwide. And, styles of music around the world can drive this message home beautifully. But, you have to aim a bit higher to accomplish this.
IDK....The 1988 IllumiNations did that well(Granted it wasn't the whole show, only a portion).... It lasted till 1996/I25A.

I doubt the Countries sealed Harm's Fate...More like the Daytime Hardware/IP did?

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
I doubt the Countries sealed Harm's Fate...More like the Daytime Hardware/IP did?
We keep talking about "What killed Harmonious"...

Harmonious killed Harmonious. It died because it fails in every. single. aspect.

It isn't a good IP show.
It has awful hardware.
It isn't a good musical show (To be blunt, most of the musical depictions are incredibly stereotypical).
It isn't a good *FIREWORKS* show.
It isn't a good fountain show.
It has an absolutely dead atmosphere around the lagoon.

So what is it good for? Giving the instigators on DisTwitter something to antagonize people with?

mattpeto

We keep talking about "What killed Harmonious"...

Harmonious killed Harmonious. It died because it fails in every. single. aspect.

It isn't a good IP show.
It has awful hardware.
It isn't a good musical show (To be blunt, most of the musical depictions are incredibly stereotypical).
It isn't a good *FIREWORKS* show.
It isn't a good fountain show.
It has an absolutely dead atmosphere around the lagoon.

So what is it good for? Giving the instigators on DisTwitter something to antagonize people with?
The IP clearly hit home with the younger demographics with the kids/teens, where you'd expect IP to be more important.

1677983718110.png

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
The IP clearly hit home with the younger demographics with the kids/teens, where you'd expect IP to be more important.

View attachment 702202
Not to discredit these numbers (or your statement), but an important factor in fairly assessing success is circumstance. Most in that demographic don't know of the existing standard for EPCOT lagoon shows, much less seen any previous show. Unfortunately, this is an incredibly easy group to appeal to.

I am still shocked that EF scored so low with older adults. You'd think it would be the opposite.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I am still shocked that EF scored so low with older adults. You'd think it would be the opposite.
Not all older adults have a continuing history of the Old Epcot. You'd have to be a real regular back in the old days to create that nostalgic connection.

And if one didn't attend regularly, a slow moving edutainment ride doesn't immediately create the nostalgic appeal compared to something more thrilling, or with a beloved IP. So, the music from it is kinda boring without that attachment.

Touchdown

Yup, I enjoy the One Little Spark motifs throughout, as I remember that ride. However all of the older stuff, I don’t remember because I went once in 1989 and didn’t return until 1998. The only other parts that hit emotionally for me are Soarin and the Millennium stuff.

UNCgolf

Not all older adults have a continuing history of the Old Epcot. You'd have to be a real regular back in the old days to create that nostalgic connection.

And if one didn't attend regularly, a slow moving edutainment ride doesn't immediately create the nostalgic appeal compared to something more thrilling, or with a beloved IP
. So, the music from it is kinda boring without that attachment.

I don't think that's true -- certainly not across the board. I visited the original version of EPCOT twice, both as a pre-teen (6 years old and 11 years old), and visited once as a teenager in the Innoventions era after Test Track replaced WoM and Ellen replaced UofE (but Horizons was still operating), and it's burned into my memory. It's the main reason I fell in love with WDW.

I agree that the music is meaningless to anyone who either never visited that version of EPCOT or didn't care much for it, though.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

So was ROE. Both scores were original (as in no preconceived IP)

Eh, it's a bit different. ROE was a beautiful score intentionally designed from start to finish. Epcot Forever is a bunch of small snippets of music that were not originally composed to flow together with terrible narration.

Don't get me wrong; I still liked Epcot Forever because I liked hearing even those small snippets of classic EPCOT songs. But it's not really comparable to ROE.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Eh, it's a bit different. ROE was a beautiful score intentionally designed from start to finish. Epcot Forever is a bunch of small snippets of music that were not originally composed to flow together with terrible narration.

Don't get me wrong; I still liked Epcot Forever because I liked hearing even those small snippets of classic EPCOT songs. But it's not really comparable to ROE.
My (bad) comparison was if joe bloggs didn’t recognise songs in EF they wouldn’t recognise the score to RoE either. Neither were needledrop.

OSUPhantom

It’s pretty strange to me we are supposedly getting a new show later this year, following a short encore by Epcot forever, and yet we know nothing about it…I would hope they’d at least know what the new show is by now and be able to market it somehow…

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
It’s pretty strange to me we are supposedly getting a new show later this year, following a short encore by Epcot forever, and yet we know nothing about it…I would hope they’d at least know what the new show is by now and be able to market it somehow…
It's not strange at all, really. We didn't know much about Disney Enchantment until July/August 2021 and it debuted in October.

montyz81

Has there been any hints at what will come after EF 2.0? Maybe the reason it’s named Epcot Forever is that it will last forever because like Imagination, they will not figure out what to do.

gavvy

When something big happens or is planned people on here drop hints left right and centre. The silence is deafening?
Bass line tap house coming to Epcot lagoon with pyro. I said it first.🤪

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom