News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

James Alucobond

If this means something’s happening, I’m concerned their takeaway will simply be to modify the show within the existing infrastructure, which doesn’t really address my issue with it. If it’s to be an IP-oriented EPCOT, it’s perfectly fine, maybe with some misses on narration and some segments that drag on slightly too long (Reflection, PatF). The problem is the barges, IMO.

mightynine

Yeah, I laugh at you fools too.
And yet, I'm able to sleep well at night.

Anyway, my first thought after watching Harm was "This is equipment that deserves a better show." These kind of questions seem to infer Harm's not getting the response they hoped for, and I wonder if they're even more twitchy after Rivers of Light.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Illuminations_Inferno_Barage_Animated.gif

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If this means something’s happening, I’m concerned their takeaway will simply be to modify the show within the existing infrastructure, which doesn’t really address my issue with it. If it’s to be an IP-oriented EPCOT, it’s perfectly fine, maybe with some misses on narration and some segments that drag on slightly too long (Reflection, PatF). The problem is the barges, IMO.
Oh I think the opposite. Give me the ROE soundtrack with the new toys.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I knew things weren't stellar, but not this bad.

I haven't asked more. Yet.

ImperfectPixie

Yes, it is.

If Disney wanted to do X no matter what, they're not going to spend money to conduct surveys to convince themselves that guests want X even if guests really want Y. If they're going to do X no matter what, they're just going to do it.
If you knew anything about surveys and designing them, you'd know how transparent the bias is in Disney's surveys. Executives will use biased surveys to "prove" that they were right, as evidence to support a choice they want to make, etc. etc.

There's a reason why surveys are discouraged as a means of true evaluation of anything.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If you knew anything about surveys and designing them, you'd know how transparent the bias is in Disney's surveys. Executives will use biased surveys to "prove" that they were right, as evidence to support a choice they want to make, etc. etc.

There's a reason why surveys are discouraged as a means of true evaluation of anything.
Except they don't publish these surveys to anyone other than themselves.

Executive Joe isn't going to design a manipulated survey because Executive Joe is the audience for the survey results. He's the one who wants the information.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I knew things weren't stellar, but not this bad.

I haven't asked more. Yet.
With our luck, we'll find out 10 years from now that they genuinely were considering scrapping Harmonious and going back to something awesome, but that feedback results indicated that guests thought Harmonious was the greatest thing ever.

Guests suck.

ImperfectPixie

Except they don't publish these surveys to anyone other than themselves.

Executive Joe isn't going to design a manipulated survey because Executive Joe is the audience for the survey results. He's the one who wants the information.
You obviously know absolutely nothing about surveys, why they are frowned upon as a means of evaluation, who requests them and who designs them.

An executive who wants something to be evaluated isn't going to be the person designing the survey...someone who works for him is. That someone likely knows the results that are hoped for...would you design a survey that would require you to tell your boss they're wrong?

I've been reading Disney surveys for years - the vast majority of them are inherently biased and the only purpose the vast majority of them serve is to prove someone in the company "right". The clues to all of this are very obvious if you analyze the questions and available responses.

lentesta

Premium Member
Some EPCOT nighttime spectacular survey ratings for context, updated to show non-rounded averages. Shows with clearly higher ratings are in bold.

________________ROE____EP4Ever____Harm
Pre-School______3.8______4.0_______4.2*
Grade School____4.2______4.1_______4.3*
Teens___________4.3______4.1_______4.5*
Young Adults____4.4______4.1_______4.1*
Over 30s________4.4______4.0_______4.1
Seniors_________4.5______4.0_______4.0

For Harmonious demographics with an asterisk(*), the number of surveys we have is low, so the 95% confidence interval is pretty wide. I'd hold off making decisions about Harmonious until we get more survey data there.

For example, we've got 71 surveys from teens who've seen Harmonious, with an average rating of 4.46 and a standard deviation of 0.80. The 95% confidence interval for that is 4.27 to 4.65. So teens probably rate Harmonious higher than ROE, but maybe by not much.

For ROE, the 95% confidence interval for teens is much, much smaller: 4.24 to 4.32. That's because we have more than 2,300 surveys from teens.

That said, if people look at the Harmonious barges and decide they're ugly and then skip the show, that's a problem that's not going to show up in the survey results.

As it is, I think it's safe to say:
  • Pre-schoolers probably like Harmonious much more than ROE.
  • Young adults, Over 30s, and Seniors all liked ROE much more than either Harmonious or EPCOT Forever.
  • Grade schoolers probably like ROE and Harmonious about the same.
  • Teens may have a slight preference for Harmonious over ROE.
ETA: The survey results above are bad for Harmonious for a number of reasons:
  1. There are far, far more people in the Young Adults, Over 30, and Senior categories than in pre- and grade-school. So the number of less-satisfied people is very high.
  2. Those people in the YA, Over 30, and Senior categories tend to make the "what do we want to see" and "where do we spend our money" decisions. So if they're less satisified AND control the money, that's really, really not good.

Last edited:

trainplane3

Some EPCOT nighttime spectacular survey ratings for context:

________________ROE____EP4Ever____Harm
Pre-School______4.0______4.0_______4.0
Grade School____4.5______4.0_______4.0
Teens___________4.5______4.0_______4.5
Young Adults____4.5______4.0_______4.0
Over 30s________4.5______4.0_______4.0
Seniors_________4.5______4.0_______4.0

Those numbers are rounded to the nearest 0.5 - I may calculate the exact numbers.

It looks like Harmonious didn't move the needle much from EPCOT Forever, and both are rated lower than IllumiNations.
I'm sure in the company they're wondering why they spent (and are spending) so much on a new show when the return is looking even if not worse then a "simple" show like EF. Regardless of my feelings of the show, I'd expect better ratings simply because it's new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom