News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

techgeek

Questions

If a single barge goes down does the show go 101?

I doubt it. There were plenty of RoE shows where individual elements were dark either due to failures or manual overrides. As I understood it, individual barges could be E-stopped during the show without causing a full show stop, and this was a regular enough occurrence. Both the inferno barge and the Earth barge also spent extended periods out of the show during refurbs (and in the case of the inferno barge, a months long repair from that one time it went boom). For all that, RoE was only cancelled a handful of times over the years... almost exclusively for weather (although there was a notable instance where it was shot off in a tropical storm, so even weather 101s were a very rare thing).

If a group of LED panels go out do they take down the whole wall? Or they just run it with certain panels missing?

There's a couple of different ways LED walls fail. To keep it simple... you can have individual panels out, groups of panels out, or the whole wall fail. If a panel or group of panels fails during the show, it wouldn't necessarily affect the rest of the wall - but you would have to make a choice at that point if the better show is taking the rest of the wall dark or continuing with the problem in view. That's a judgement call. To fix an out or glitchy panel or group of panels, you need to climb around behind the wall and physically swap a panel or troubleshoot the cabling, which isn't something that's going to be able to happen during (or immediately before) a show.

To again invoke the history of RoE, there were plenty of example of shows where panels of the Earth barge failed, but the show went on and the video continued to play on whatever parts were still working.

With the fountains running all day how do they do routine maintenance on the LED walls?

That's a very good question.

trainplane3

Thanks, I mixed up who said what.

I guess I'm just not so clear on two things here:

1. Why is it such a big deal to have the bridge open for 10-15 minutes at a time for a few spots at the end of the night? I can understand the desire for better traffic flow, especially in covid time, but I don't see this as being at all worse than the daytime visuals.

2. If the issue is bad weather or high winds, why don't they consider just cancelling the nighttime show if these conditions exist? The last time we went to DL, with our 5 day passes we got 0 firework shows and only one Fantasmic due to shifting winds that didn't seem strong at all.

At this point all I'm left with is hoping the fountains do an ok job hiding things.... it just seems like WDI could try a little harder to solve this problem. Apologies as I just realized this discussion is in the wrong spot. I'll stop whining now
1. It's for during the day to move the barges out into the lagoon.
2. Winds could be higher earlier in the day and then calm by 9pm.

Fountains: You're spraying water on huge rigs, it's not going to shield them. It's just going to make the blob on the lagoon larger and obscure sightlines more while being a bit softer on the eyes.

Shifted your post over to this thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom