Reflections After a Week-Long Solo Trip

GeoffR

Original Poster
Maybe this is my rose-colored glasses but I think Star Wars will not have trouble enduring. The original Star Tours ride opened in DL in 86 and it’s still a solid ride.

Yes, Solo was a let down but I’d argue that the newest trilogy is far better than the prequels. Not to mention all of the books, comics, cartoons, video games, etc. all set in the Star Wars universe.

I’d argue that Pandora is a much larger long-term risk than SW.

The original trilogy will be timeless, but it's the new films that will be toss-ups as to their longevity. I agree about Pandora. I'm not sure that film, despite the $$ it made, will be something people clamor for in the future. I, personally, thought the movie was very lackluster and almost walked out, so I was in no rush to head to a land based on a mediocre movie. And to be clear, it's only one movie....an entire land based on one movie. I know the sequels are 'coming' but James Cameron has been saying that for five years lol

Miss Bella

The original trilogy will be timeless, but it's the new films that will be toss-ups as to their longevity. I agree about Pandora. I'm not sure that film, despite the $$ it made, will be something people clamor for in the future. I, personally, thought the movie was very lackluster and almost walked out, so I was in no rush to head to a land based on a mediocre movie. And to be clear, it's only one movie....an entire land based on one movie. I know the sequels are 'coming' but James Cameron has been saying that for five years lol
I'll admit I really didn't care for the movie. My teens have never seen it. My oldest tried to watch it about 4 years ago, but got bored half way through and went to bed.
They both loved the ride FOP, but they have no idea what the rides about. I really don't see the appeal for kids, and I don't see how anything at WDW can have long term success without the kids loving it. Maybe the sequels will be something that the youngsters can sink their teeth into, but I'm just really doubtful.

aliceismad

I think Avatar was a pretty lackluster movie that happened to come out at the right time and with the right push to earn it a bunch of accolades. I'm sure the rides can standalone and are still enjoyable for people who don't know or care for the movie. It makes me sad/confused about the fact that Disney chose Pandora over developing so many other things.

MickeyLuv'r

Yes, and I think you're going to always have overpriced items in tourist areas like this no matter what. I think what got me was the AMOUNT of increase. Inflation or not, I'm not sure how you explain an almost $40 t-shirt. The Partner's statue, normally $150, is $160 now. Art prints were $29.95, now are $34.99. Stuff like that isn't too severe, though it is noticeable. And once you see one price increase, you start noticing them all, and that's when it becomes bothersome.

Also, I'm only mentioning merch here, not drinks or food, so I don't want people to think I'm bringing to light the issues of the $4 20oz coke because that's an issue in almost all theme/amusement parks lol

Um, okay. But again, it is all relative. I'd expect some upcharge for theme park access, but the current pricing goes above and beyond.

My point was more that when the upcharge was in-line with the kind of upcharge I was willing to pay, I did.

Now, I barely even bother to look at any merchandise. I just gave up, which is kind of sad, because I used to buy things like shirts and magnets at least once a year. If prices were more reasonable, I'd buy some.

bjlc57

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL OP.. because eventually the Kool AIDE Drinkers are going to rise up revolt against you. .because every thing is perfect and every thing is special.. and its well just have one less drink at the bar.. some where.. some how.. Disney is going to have to behave and answer to the laws of Economics.. some how they have dodged these bullets in the past.. but some times.. with "record sales.. " and Record attendance ,, suddenly it stops.. i.e. my good Friends. Husband and Wife. .both worked in the local Mall ..One literally unlocked the doors at J.C. Penney's and the other did the same at the Sears store at the opposite end of the Mall.. and their main discussion at night was WHICH ONE was the COUNTRY"S NUMBER ONE RETAILER.. as it switched back and forth.. obviously things can and do change..

Shouldigo12

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL OP.. because eventually the Kool AIDE Drinkers are going to rise up revolt against you. .because every thing is perfect and every thing is special.. and its well just have one less drink at the bar.. some where.. some how.. Disney is going to have to behave and answer to the laws of Economics.. some how they have dodged these bullets in the past.. but some times.. with "record sales.. " and Record attendance ,, suddenly it stops.. i.e. my good Friends. Husband and Wife. .both worked in the local Mall ..One literally unlocked the doors at J.C. Penney's and the other did the same at the Sears store at the opposite end of the Mall.. and their main discussion at night was WHICH ONE was the COUNTRY"S NUMBER ONE RETAILER.. as it switched back and forth.. obviously things can and do change..
Yes, because everybody who has a positive view of Disney World, on a Disney World forum, is a kool aid drinker.

MAGICFLOP

Actually, you are not very far off. I believe (like some others) that the US economy is ready to come down. I think perhaps Disney sees this coming and are already cutting back, because why else with huge attendance and high ticket prices, would they have to cut back on maintenance other other things like photographers? If we hit our next economy hit, Disney will be hanging out there with very little revenue to maintain all the expanded hotel systems and parks... There were many hotels that got wiped out on 192 outside of WDW on the last down turn. WDW built the rooms on property to replace them (holding the bag themselves). granted they have better resources.. just a thought

eliza61nyc

Actually, you are not very far off. I believe (like some others) that the US economy is ready to come down. I think perhaps Disney sees this coming and are already cutting back, because why else with huge attendance and high ticket prices, would they have to cut back on maintenance other other things like photographers? If we hit our next economy hit, Disney will be hanging out there with very little revenue to maintain all the expanded hotel systems and parks... There were many hotels that got wiped out on 192 outside of WDW on the last down turn. WDW built the rooms on property to replace them (holding the bag themselves). granted they have better resources.. just a thought

while I don't think the economy is ready to "come down" I do think we are in for a correction but here's the thing, that is pretty much normal. after a bull market comes a bear market.

I don't think we'll have another 2007 market crash but we will see a correction. IMO though the difference will be unemployment. I don't think we'll have the catastrophic layoffs that followed in 08 and as long as folks feel ok in their job situation I think Disney will weather it ok.

ps I have absolutely no insider information

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

By a very unfortunate coincidence, yesterday (besides being Mickey's birthday) was also the fortieth anniversary of the tragedy that gave rise to this regrettable expression: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

lol, I love the implied insult that because someone likes Disney they must be too stupid and can't think independently to figure out why they like it. Like we hand over thousands of dollars and don't know why? or some mad man must have convinced me to go to Disney world because if I wasn't drinking the koolaide?? I wouldn't go.

Maybe we can start saying that we wear forced to wear those hypno glasses that the villain slapped on Frozone and Ms. Incredible to control them in the new incredibles movie

graphite1326

THE FASTEST GROWING SPORT IN AMERICA or so it was said. NASCAR is now the fastest sinking sport in America. They made all these changes to make the sport better or so they thought. I am not sure but Disney may see the same thing some day. I have soured a little myself lately. After our last trip (been going 20 years) it is the first time we aren't talking about going back. The money grab just seemed more apparent now.

Shouldigo12

No, anyone who condemns those of us to "NOT GO" or to "WAKE UP TO CAPITALISM" is annoying as all get out.
When I tell someone maybe its best if they not go to DW anymore, its not because I'm so in love with Disney I can't stand to hear criticism of it. Its because I don't see why someone would keep paying to go when they have nothing good to say about their trips for no other reason than "Well I used to love going". It just doesn't make sense to me.

Shouldigo12

If you can't stand criticism, why do you participate in these threads? I'm guilty of it myself, and I'm in a 12-step "Disney Board cooldown" program. Maybe the day I come to my senses, you will too.
Dude, who said I can't stand criticism? Literally said that that isn't what's happening.

Shouldigo12

See, I think this is, again, a very binary world we live in today. God forbid you say 6 good things about a subject, and 3 bad things. The focus is then entirely weighted toward the bad things. It's like nodding, nodding, and then hearing something you disagree with, thereby writing off the whole thing. People are not just complaining here, it's that when they do - it triggers something from the economy police. It's like they feast on it. And that is what then creates the conflict.

I love 70 things out of 100 about the Disney World experience right now. Hence, I still go. But to be so black and white about going, not going, etc. That is just simple-minded to me. It's a much more complex subject.
Did you see the part of my post where I said "when they have nothing good to say about it? I'm fine with criticism. I have my own bad things to say about Disney. But you can't expect to come on here and complain about how terrible the place is and not expect people to give you the simple advice of "maybe its time to move on". And so we're clear, I've been using a general "you". So, to repeat my first post, if someone comes on here and seems to have a very negative view on the park based on their post, not going to the parks is to me the advice that makes the mose sense for me.

Shouldigo12

I've been called doom-and-gloom here, even when I've posted a lot about how much I love the place. So, I'd be included in the "nothing good to say about it" category. And that is precisely my point. Crass generalizations abound here and if all any of us were looking for was a simple "stop going", maybe it's a binary world after all.
Do you think you could possibly be accused of making generalizations too?

Shouldigo12

Only when I notice the same people making them about me, over and over and over and over and over and over and over... and yeah.
Well my post wasn't even directed at you personally- I was only trying to explain why I may tell someone not to go- and yet you decided I didn't like hearing criticism against the parks (despite me saying the opposite) and only saw opinions of the park in black or white. So I would say yes, you make generalizations too, and not always in response to someone else doing it.

Shouldigo12

My apologies for the lack of reading comprehension. I guess I just thought that telling someone not to go, is in turn, criticism of their criticism? If that makes sense. Less advice than exhaustion? But again, why continue reading threads where people voice their troubles with the place? It's the same question I ask myself when I'm given lessons about business, profit, equity, revenue, etc. for daring to do the same. Like I said before, maybe it's time to just step back.
It's not criticism, in my opinion anyway. Its like...if you had a friend come to you after they ate at your favorite restaurant. And the entire time they're talking about it they're complaining. "The service was awful, the table was dirty, the food was cold...) Etc etc. Then at the end of the conversation they drop the bomb that they have a reservation for tomorrow. Wouldn't you tell your friend "Hey, maybe its best for your wallet and your happiness that you don't pay for a meal that you really didn't enjoy?". And you don't tell them that because you personally love place- in fact you even agree with some of the points. The servers can get a little snippy, and they're not known for their fast service. You tell them because you don't understand why they would want to go back. I mean, there's a perfectly good Italian restaurant that they love that's just down the street; its not like this is their only option. I hope this explained my feelings about it ok.

MAGICFLOP

I've been called doom-and-gloom here, even when I've posted a lot about how much I love the place. So, I'd be included in the "nothing good to say about it" category. And that is precisely my point. Crass generalizations abound here and if all any of us were looking for was a simple "stop going", maybe it's a binary world after all.
I think its just some people don't understand constructive criticism, but I can't wrap my head around how it can't be accepted about a 3rd party (WDW). Almost like they are taking it personally.

Some people (ie Me) have been going to WDW for 40 years and see a moral and physical decline in the brand(real or imagined) and choose not to go there anytime soon. If I could pay extra (higher than the ticket price) and visit the park of 1990's, I would go back tomorrow.

Some customers will go and hammer them at the customer service desk about things they don't like, and good for them, we need people like that, but as for myself, IF ASKED by WDW if my visit was magical, I would answer 'its was OK' and not go back(had I thought it was unacceptable). I feel that I am the customer and I paid, therefore I do not owe anything to them (including advice/feed back). My point is, good management should be able to spot problems (ie. someone waiting 30 mins for counter service or wilted lettuce on a hamburger) and if they can't spot it, then there is a downward trend that won't be helped by dutiful patrons..

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Good point. But our local JC Penney's is still open. Can't say that about Sears... or K-Mart, for that matter.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
lol, I love the implied insult that because someone likes Disney they must be too stupid and can't think independently to figure out why they like it. Like we hand over thousands of dollars and don't know why? or some mad man must have convinced me to go to Disney world because if I wasn't drinking the koolaide?? I wouldn't go.

Maybe we can start saying that we wear forced to wear those hypno glasses that the villain slapped on Frozone and Ms. Incredible to control them in the new incredibles movie
Oh, thanks... how about a little spoiler alert next time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom