News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

jt04

Aw, I kind of like the Hotel Santa Fe!

Admittedly, it does look a lot better at night than during the day:

disneys-hotel-santa-fe-disneyland-paris-044.jpg

Yes something of this type theming but not sure this works next door to a big lake. Would be great somewhere on property.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes something of this type theming but not sure this works next door to a big lake. Would be great somewhere on property.
Perhaps...

But remember: Disney doesn’t really build new hotels anymore.

If this was to move forward, this river country project would have been the first completely new hotel site started since 2002.

All add ons or repurposes since.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Perhaps...

But remember: Disney doesn’t really build new hotels anymore.

If this was to move forward, it would have been the first completely new hotel site started since 2002.

All add ons or repurposes since.
One might make the case that this was their largest add on to date.....just plopped in a building between Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One might make the case that this was their largest add on to date.....just plopped in a building between Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge....
I would make the same case actually...because their facilities would be “limited” at the new block because of the brisk 1000 foot walk to pioneer hall or whatever that awful new hybrid behind wilderness lodge is...

But I was being “generous”

Flynnwriter

On hold, not cancelled. Disney Parks will go into a post 9/11 mode and put everything they can on hold. They must finish the torn-up areas of Epcot, but don't hold your breath for anything not started, to start anytime soon (or every) That's bad news for Mary Poppins and possibly the new EPCOT building.. look for new gardens and little more.

jt04

I would make the same case actually...because their facilities would be “limited” at the new block because of the brisk 1000 foot walk to pioneer hall or whatever that awful new hybrid behind wilderness lodge is...

When it comes to new resorts and hotels on property I wish they would make Eisner the go to authority.

Before anyone says it, yes I realize the Swan/Phin is often viewed as a miss but it has a certain appeal to many. And an excellent steakhouse.

peter11435

Except facilities were not going to be “limited.” The new resort was planned to be home to 2 full service restaurants, a quick service, a pool bar, and pool side quick service. In addition to two pools and a lazy river and a nature walk.

denyuntilcaught

Assuming? I’m straight up praying they meant Cheyenne. We already have the (superior) Cars wing at AoA.

No, I meant Santa Fe. But I think my comment shows why I went into advertising and stayed far away from anything actually creative.

A better version of Cheyenne is a much more suitable fit, and appears to compliment Fort Wilderness nicely.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
When it comes to new resorts and hotels on property I wish they would make Eisner the go to authority.

Before anyone says it, yes I realize the Swan/Phin is often viewed as a miss but it has a certain appeal to many. And an excellent steakhouse.
Should we start a gofundme for @jt04 for a trip to WDW so that he can proudly wear one of these?

286c4cd75efe8aa98a9fc43741cf084e.jpg

note2001

Except facilities were not going to be “limited.” The new resort was planned to be home to 2 full service restaurants, a quick service, a pool bar, and pool side quick service. In addition to two pools and a lazy river and a nature walk.
Agreed. Reflections was designed to be a full service, stand alone resort.
Let's not confuse over-development with expansions. The entire Orlando theme park area is being overdeveloped. In my opinion this resort was clearly a hop aboard that band wagon.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
All proposed...never built...and we have no idea what they would have even looked like - let alone quality.

Trust the shovels...not the accountants or constrractors

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. Reflections was designed to be a full service, stand alone resort.
Let's not confuse over-development with expansions. The entire Orlando theme park area is being overdeveloped. In my opinion this resort was clearly a hop aboard that band wagon.
Ok...you want to expand upon that?

What have they “overdone” other than timeshare blocks and perhaps springs in the Iger era?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

There’s no question when the pinnacle of hotel and restaurant development was...and it’s been awhile.

Pity too...because new construction practices and culinary arts mean you could get much better quality for the dollars spent now. But that isn’t part of the blue ocean.

Sir_Cliff

Pre-Cars history of the hotel:

Thanks for this!

For me, Hotel Santa Fe is a little like the Contemporary in that I can see how it wouldn't be to the taste of everyone but at least it's an interesting piece of architecture. Honestly, I find Hotel Santa Fe particularly interesting and creative and wish they had of found a way to refurbish it without sticking the Cars franchise in. I do understand, though, that it looks like a generic motel to many in the same way the Contemporary looks like a generic hotel to others.

I do still think something along the lines of the Cheyenne would be a better fit for this location, though.

Last edited:

peter11435

All proposed...never built...and we have no idea what they would have even looked like - let alone quality.

Trust the shovels...not the accountants or constrractors
Lol, of course. But... if not for Covid they would have all been built and some of us know very well what they would have looked like. Now you're assessing the quality of the venues instead of their existence, sounds a lot like moving the goal post.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lol, of course. But... if not for Covid they would have all been built and some of us know very well what they would have looked like. Now you're assessing the quality of the venues instead of their existence, sounds a lot like moving the goal post.
I never got a good feeling about this one...for a couple of reasons pre-covid.

Steroid economies always crash and not only have they pushed too far on rack pricing...they are quickly attempting to do the same with DVC as well.

I always thought it was “ok...if you really want to pay a lot...we’ll build it”...but that would mean Burbank would have its finger on the kill switch at all times.

And assessing the qualities of the venues is ABSOLUTELY what a responsible consumer should do. If they build bland junk and then slap a logo on it...you want to thank them?

Come on...do better than that. It’s not “build something”...any operator can do that.

note2001

Ok...you want to expand upon that?

What have they “overdone” other than timeshare blocks and perhaps springs in the Iger era?

I am saying that as of Reflections, Disney had entered that over-development mindset that Orlando has permitted for outside hotels without much thought to impact. Disney had been coming very close, but avoiding that distinction with their DVC additions elsewhere.

peter11435

And assessing the qualities of the venues is ABSOLUTELY what a responsible consumer should do. If they build bland junk and then slap a logo on it...you want to thank them?

Come on...do better than that. It’s not “build something”...any operator can do that.
Consumers should absolutely judge the quality of a product. I never said otherwise. But your original statement was that the offerings at Reflections would be limited because of its proximity to Fort Wilderness. This was simply not true since there was a full assortment of offerings designed and planned for reflections. So now you’re arguing that the offerings won’t be high quality, which is a completely different argument and thus moving the goal post.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am saying that as of Reflections, Disney had entered that over-development mindset that Orlando has permitted for outside hotels without much thought to impact. Disney had been coming very close, but avoiding that distinction with their DVC additions elsewhere.
Oh I gotcha...

Yeah...though I think it’s specifically dvc. I think the wise move would be to think about the first 6 retiring DVC blocks...but bob will be long dead by then and they’ll have run the wheels off the wagon first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom